Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually don't quibble over tool prices especially when the tool is well built, reliable and easy to use or time saving but I really have a hard time with the price of the darn iMatch. Even with the15% off promotion right now I just can't do it. Don't get me wrong, it looks well built and from what the folks that have them say, it seems to be reliable but I think I would have to be switching out rear implements every day before I might be able to justify the cost per convenience. Any options out there that are easy on the budget?

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I have the Harbor Freight one and it just seems cheap. Wish I'd gone for the iMatch. The HF one was easy to buy, but now every time I use it I just don't care for it. In my mind I would have been annoyed with buying the iMatch, but after that I'd be happy with it every time I use it. If I saw an iMatch come up for sale locally I'd probably pick it up.... Just my $.02 Beings this tractor will be with me or one like it for a long time, I'm sure the cost of the iMatch won't be as big an issue down the road. I can't imagine not being able to keep it if I trade for another tractor. It's compatible with a few frame sizes so unless you get a way bigger setup it'll work. If you do happen to sell it I bet you get a lot of what you paid for it back as JD stuff has a great value from a resale standpoint...

·
Premium Member
12,893 Posts
I won't disagree that the iMATCH is a little over priced but like many things in life, you get what you pay for.
Oh, and the iMATCH says John Deere on it. :laugh:

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
I usually don't quibble over tool prices especially when the tool is well built, reliable and easy to use or time saving but I really have a hard time with the price of the darn iMatch. Even with the15% off promotion right now I just can't do it. Don't get me wrong, it looks well built and from what the folks that have them say, it seems to be reliable but I think I would have to be switching out rear implements every day before I might be able to justify the cost per convenience. Any options out there that are easy on the budget?
There are options, some requiring a compromise, either in modifications required or a quality compromise. Much depends upon the actual implements you are using. If you have non Deere / Frontier PTO driven implements, you will have to see what modifications, if any, will be necessary for PTO shaft clearance and top hook function.

I haven't seen any I Match compatibility issues with any Category 1 implement, regardless of implement brand or manufacturer, but that isn't the case with some of the non I Match options.

From Harbor Freights offering to Northern Tool, choices exist. I guess it's a matter of where you want your price point to be. Of course, you can always just forgo the attachment all together and manually connect 3 point implements if you are rarely attaching or changing them.

Personally I find the benefit of the I Match to be not only it's ease of connection but not having to physically get between the tractor and implement especially to manually make adjustments to get the implement attached. Once the implement is secured on the I Match, then making the PTO connection is safer and easier as the I Match has the implement position secured and gives you extra distance between the tractor and implement based upon it's design, by moving the implement back several inches.

There are options, for sure. Just be aware of any concessions or necessary adjustments you have to make to have the alternatives work as the I Match does right out of the box. Also, if you do need to get parts in the future for the latching mechanisms for the Non Deere options, are they available or will you have to throw away the unit and purchase another?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
LOTS of other options out there at cost points from sub $100 up to and probably more than JD.

In no particular order:
Landpride
Speeco
HF
DR
Power king
Agri supply
Nor trac ( Northern tool)
Ranch-ex
Grizzly
Woods

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,219 Posts
All I'm going to say is I wish I had one of any brand name. The QH05 from landpride? (the orange tractor dealer) doesn't need any cat. 2 and 3 spacers or whatever you call them, for it.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I also have the HF one.

Is it perfect? No. Does it work, yes. I haven't used an iMatch so I can't say for certain that it doesn't have the issues I have had with my HF version. It may. in general there isn't much to it. It really comes down to hook placement and what you are attaching. I don't attach anything to it that is John Deere other than the tractor.

I don't use it all the time either. When I do use it, I am glad it its there. So much easier than messing with the arms one by one.

EDIT: I should add that I modified mine a bit. I adjusted the top hook to best fit my blade and Heavy Hitch. The top hook had to be so low that I only could fit one bolt in which was an issue. Also the bolts were in the way for the Heavy Hitch. So once I realized I wasn't going to move it. I cut the bolts down and welded them in as pins so they a flush. Then welded a bead along the side of the hook to the mounting bracket. I can't move the top hook anymore but I don't need to. Never had an issue since setting that top hook in a fixed position.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I bought my QH from cabella's for about $250 (I believe branded by Woods). took a while for them to find them out back on the pallets but it was a new item for them and not yet unloaded. My main use was to attach my frontier blower as it always fought me each winter. I have since added bushing to my BB and draw bar with no connection issues. My only complaint is the plastic on the release handles have cracked so I wrapped them in black electrical tape.

·
Premium Member
11,355 Posts
LOTS of other options out there at cost points from sub $100 up to and probably more than JD.

In no particular order:
Landpride
Speeco
HF
DR
Power king
Agri supply
Nor trac ( Northern tool)
Ranch-ex
Grizzly
Woods
^^^ what he said!! BTW, there are BETTER built quick hitches out there than the iMatch. Not necessarily cheaper, but definitely better. I had both a new adjustable hook iMatch and a Land Pride QH15. After using both I sold the iMatch and kept the QH15.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I mainly use a post hole digger, subsoiler, and pine straw rake on the back of my 2720, so I don't really have a need for an iMatch. The post hole digger connects to the tractor at the top point, and the rake and subsoiler have to be picked up due to no feet etc. I also drive a manual lock, window, ignition, soft top wrangler, so I may be a masochist. If I were older or used tillers, ballast boxes, carry-alls, bush hogs, and other i-match compatible rear implements I would probably have one.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts

I have both the HF unit and the iMatch. I can tell you that there is a world of difference between the two. I do not expect to ever wear out the iMatch and it is on the tractor nearly all the time, but I cannot say the same thing about the HF unit. I only got the HF unit because I have a 3pt adapter for the loader and I needed to be able to connect the same attachments that already had the big bushings on them. I considered the limited use before buying the HF unit and decided that I could make that work. The iMatch is definitely worth the extra money.

Dave

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I have a Speeco and it does what it's supposed to do. If/when it breaks/wears out, I will go check out the iMatch. My only real complaint about the Speeco is that I do have to give a pretty firm "yank" on the handles to disengage them. I don't know if that's because it's a Speeco or if my upper body strength while sitting in the seat just isn't enough to pull them up. I have, but rarely do, been able to pop them into the locking position from the seat. I don't normally do it because I generally like to have a quick look-see to make sure everything is hooked up OK before I start using it.

My only real complaint is that they don't make a QuickHitch compatible post hole digger!! :laugh:

·
Registered
307 Posts
I got an Imatch with my 2038R and I like it. I do not have any experience with any other brands. However it does not work with my Agrex 300 liter spreader. The dealer told me that the Imatch does not work with any of the spreaders which make me wonder why Agrex has not changed there spreader setup. I am thinking of making some kind of adapter to fit on the spreader frame so that I can keep the IMatch in place and still use the spreader.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
All I'm going to say is I wish I had one of any brand name. The QH05 from landpride? (the orange tractor dealer) doesn't need any cat. 2 and 3 spacers or whatever you call them, for it.
...and now LandPride has the QH10 which looks more 'traditional', but still does not require the expensive bushings.

This requirement for bushings on every implement is more frustrating to me than the initial quick hitch purchase.

Having said that, I am the HF camp. "Good Enough" for this task. Not sure what the iMatch would do to make me 'happier'.

·
Premium Member
12,893 Posts
Okay, having read some of the HF guys posts I'll add this. I have never had to modify my top hook or the top link on any implement, just add the bushings and go.

·
Premium Member
11,355 Posts
Okay, having read some of the HF guys posts I'll add this. I have never had to modify my top hook or the top link on any implement, just add the bushings and go.
The top hook seems to be the part that causes everyone the most grief. On my Land Pride QH-15 I had to replace the top-hook retaining pins with bolts as the pins kept vibrating out. Other folks are replacing bolts with pins. I swear the original non-adjustable iMatch caused less issues than the new model with the adjustable hook.

When I had both the new-style iMatch and Land Pride quick hitches believe it or not the Land Pride actually worked better than the iMatch on a new Frontier landscape rake and rear blade. The iMatch refused to let go on the top-hook and I had to use a pry bar to release it.

I will say that when I first bought the QH-15 (I owned it before the iMatch) I hated it and even ended up taking it back off for a while. I didn't quite understand how it worked, didn't totally understand the bushing thing and I had a few implements that were not quick hitch friendly.

Once I figured it all out, reinstalled it and used the right bushings all as been well and I can't imagine tractor life without it. I'll say it again, if the QH does nothing more than eliminate the need to fight those darn turnbuckle sway adjusters it is worth the price of admission.

·
Registered
11,978 Posts
I got an Imatch with my 2038R and I like it. I do not have any experience with any other brands. However it does not work with my Agrex 300 liter spreader. The dealer told me that the Imatch does not work with any of the spreaders which make me wonder why Agrex has not changed there spreader setup. I am thinking of making some kind of adapter to fit on the spreader frame so that I can keep the IMatch in place and still use the spreader.
frontier makes a spreader that is i-match ready. just a tad bit more in price-but i am a i-match believer. nothing better than backing up and snapping them levers shut and pulling away-unless u got to hook a pto-shaft up-but..........even for that-i still say go with the i-match. makes my world so..............much better.

i have the old style i-match -welded hook. so the only complaint i guess i have is-that i have to extend or adjust my top-link on different implements---i think that's why a top cylinder was developed just for that reason:laugh:

to the OP--go buy it and 5 yrs from now--u will thank us.:good2:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The top hook seems to be the part that causes everyone the most grief.
Yep. And Kenny had a thread about a replacement hook for iMatch owners this week, so I can't help but wonder if that applies to the "real' iMatch as well. Any iMatch owners with a comment on that?

to the OP--go buy it and 5 yrs from now--u will thank us.:good2:
This is so true, Jim! Any brand of quick hitch is better than no quick hitch! :laugh: When I bought my 1025r, I thought I didn't need it. Then I tried to move all my implements from where the delivery truck dropped them off to their storage location, and it took a LONG time. When I saw the HF at that price, I thought it was worth a try.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts