Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached are a few pictures of how I used a top link adapter to hook up a King Kutter spreader to my iMatch quick hitch. The trick is to remove the top hook and bolt the adapter directly to the quick hitch. So, it's a semi-quick hitch....

Thanks to Rick at Everything attachments for the tip on how to do this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,060 Posts
It is hard to tell from pictures but is looks like you could move the top hook down a couple holes and extend out the top link and it would work. Is there something interfering that doesn’t allow for it?:dunno:

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
I am trying to understand why you couldn't use the top hook of the I-match directly to the spreader. It looks like it should work. :dunno:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Herminator - l'm not sure what you are suggesting.

Reactions: greenharley

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ray - the top pin on the spreader is too close to the spreader frame. The imatch hook won't fit.

·
Premium Member
9,360 Posts
I have the Frontier Spreader that's appears to be the same physical size. I will have to take a look at mine to see what's different because I hooked mine right up to the I Match hook in the same setting I use for the other (5) 3 point implements I have. The top hook on the Frontier must be extended out further from the spreader frame than the King Kutter in the OP's photos...........I never gave it any thought until this thread.

Is the bracket you are using on your spreader set up specifically a top hook extender or is it designed for another purpose and just works well for your hitch needs? I couldn't really tell what it says on the tag on the bracket in the photos..............

I do wish there was a smaller volume 3 point PTO driven spreader offered from Frontier or from Deere. I checked as did my sales guy and we never located one. For my needs, this spreader is way too large and just takes up more storage space.

I put 250 lbs of fertilizer material in my spreader and it's a long ways from being full or even half full.....250lbs of the fertilizer I use will easily cover 80,000 sq feet of lawn..........so almost 2 acres. I guess if you need to have capacity for 6 or 8 acres worth of material, then a spreader of this size would be required and handy. Or if you are applying to feed plot's, etc., which I am not.

I need to install a electric actuator to open and close the spreader's distribution lever. With the cab on, trying to reach the handle to open and close the spreader is difficult and if I keep the rear window open so I can lean back and reach the handle (with difficulty), then it ends up throwing material into the cab occasionally, which I certainly don't want. So I guess I will have to rig an actuator so I can open and close the spreader handle from the cab with an electric switch. Another thing on my "spring" to do list...............:good2:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sully - I looked into the frontier spreaders and two of them can be ordered from the factory to be imatch compatible. But if not special ordered, then they aren't compatible. I'm not sure what the difference is but I suspect that you are correct - the top brackets are slightly different.

The adapter is made specifically for quick hitches, so there are probably other applications for it. However all of my implements except the spreader work directly with the imatch.

I could also get by with a smaller Hopper, but when I bought it the smaller units were more expensive.

·
Premium Member
13,082 Posts
KeyboardJungle;2600522The adapter is made specifically for quick hitches said:
Correct. That is a generic adapter for use on implements that aren't quick hitch compatible. I used to have a boom pole and it required the adapter. They only cost around $20 and are handy to have around just in case. You can also use them for a make-shift floating top-link.

yoke.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
Ray - the top pin on the spreader is too close to the spreader frame. The imatch hook won't fit.
That answers it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
610 Posts
If it works, it works. The way I thought that bracket was supposed to work was the ends reversed from your picture. You put a bushing on the "U" pin and put it in your hook, pin through the implement on the other end. There is another kind that was discussed in this thread: http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/91690-imatch-compatibility.html

I remembered when I had my Speeco that that adapter worked another way too. If you took the hook off like you did, you could put the top link pin through the "U" and through the regular spot on top of the quick hitch. Then the single end to your implement.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it works, it works. The way I thought that bracket was supposed to work was the ends reversed from your picture. You put a bushing on the "U" pin and put it in your hook, pin through the implement on the other end. There is another kind that was discussed in this thread: http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/implements-attachments/91690-imatch-compatibility.html

I remembered when I had my Speeco that that adapter worked another way too. If you took the hook off like you did, you could put the top link pin through the "U" and through the regular spot on top of the quick hitch. Then the single end to your implement.
That's the way that Rick at EA told me to do it, but by the time I got to the tractor, I had the instructions backwards.

I am pretty sure that if I reverse the adapter, I will also have to move the hook up to make it fit. If so, then I'll stick with my "backwards" approach, because the U section fits the tabs on the implement well, and the tail of the bracket is bolted directly to the iMatch, so there is no horizontal movement of the spreader. On the other hand, if I can do it without getting out a wrench, then I will definitely switch to the setup that you are suggesting.

·
Registered
610 Posts
That's the way that Rick at EA told me to do it, but by the time I got to the tractor, I had the instructions backwards.

I am pretty sure that if I reverse the adapter, I will also have to move the hook up to make it fit. If so, then I'll stick with my "backwards" approach, because the U section fits the tabs on the implement well, and the tail of the bracket is bolted directly to the iMatch, so there is no horizontal movement of the spreader. On the other hand, if I can do it without getting out a wrench, then I will definitely switch to the setup that you are suggesting.
Which ever way works best, I don't think one way is particularly stronger since the bracket remains the same. If you use the hook, you might have problems with something bouncing the hook part out, depending on the usage since you've added another hinge point.

The easiest way for me was to put the U on the quick hitch top link pin, and leave it on. Then I switched my hook bolts to pins. The adapter could flip out of the way when I was using my 3pt blower that was quick hitch compatible, and I'd take the hook off when I used a rear blade that wasn't quick hitch. I barely had to adjust my top link with that set up.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Anyone have a link for that adapter somewhere online for a good price? I haven't seen one of those and it would work for my Land Pride spreader to imatch as well, right now just have one pin in the hook and it kind of hangs loose at an angle, this would be more secure.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
5 Posts
i can't believe the seed spreader manufacturers don't make a spreader that is QH compatible?????? i'd buy one today.

was going to buy the Frontier 2067B but they want 1k for it. deere has lost their minds.....

·
Premium Member
13,082 Posts
was going to buy the Frontier 2067B but they want 1k for it. deere has lost their minds.....
Especially when you consider it is probably made by someone else anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts