Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some research on quick hitches, and have a question that I can't seem to find an answer for. It's a known fact that the Cat 1 quick hitches require bushings be placed on the implement in order to make the diameter of the hitch pins larger. I've read that that is the ASAE standard. My question is, why did they design them this way? The hitch slots being slightly oversized would make sense if it was to allow clearance to connect/ disconnect from the implement, but by adding the bushings you take the space right back out of it.

Any ideas? I'm thinking about building a quick hitch, and I'm tempted to just cut the hooks to fit standard Cat 1 hitch pins.

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
I'm thinking about building a quick hitch, and I'm tempted to just cut the hooks to fit standard Cat 1 hitch pins.
Fordguy
I don't think that would be a good idea. If you have an implement that has Cat2 bushings you would be "up the creek" so to speak. Maybe someone else can explain better why that might not be a good idea. Your 2520 is capable of plenty of Cat2 attachments,so making your hitch Cat1 will really limit you.
I took this from a Kennyd post:
Will an ASAE Standard Quick Hitch Fit? - Equipment | Lawn & Garden | LSU AgCenter

Greg

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greg, I think you may have me confused with someone else. I don't have a 2520. Wish I did! :thumbup1gif: I'm designing the hitch for a 1967 IH 424, which is a 35 HP tractor with a Cat 1 hitch. All of my implements are Cat 1.

I do intend to upgrade to a larger Cat 2 tractor in the near future (because Ole Reliable...aint), but I believe the overall dimensions of the Cat 2 hitch are larger than the Cat 1, so I would not be able to use the quick hitch on a Cat 2 machine.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I've been doing some research on quick hitches, and have a question that I can't seem to find an answer for. It's a known fact that the Cat 1 quick hitches require bushings be placed on the implement in order to make the diameter of the hitch pins larger. I've read that that is the ASAE standard. My question is, why did they design them this way? The hitch slots being slightly oversized would make sense if it was to allow clearance to connect/ disconnect from the implement, but by adding the bushings you take the space right back out of it.

Any ideas? I'm thinking about building a quick hitch, and I'm tempted to just cut the hooks to fit standard Cat 1 hitch pins.
Well, one thing I can think of.... Implements that just have pins sticking out. You have to have some kind of "knob" on the end to keep them from slipping out of the quick hitch. That necessitates some some kind of solid bushing. I suppose you could design a knob that would just fasten to the end of the pin, but that wouldn't be as simple as just machining one piece and fastening it with a roll pin. So I suppose standardizing on Cat 2 sizing for all bushings would be the next logical step in size. If I were you, I would design my hitch around the standard, that's the beauty of a standard: They are standard.:lol:

You could google "Pat's Easy Change System" I think it does what you are proposing. To me, it looks more complicated and not as good as the iMatch system.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shouldn't using lynch pins on the 3pt pins of the implement keep them in place? It would be simple enough to rotate the hitch pins so that the lynch pins were horizontal, holding the front and rear of the hook.

You could google "Pat's Easy Change System" I think it does what you are proposing. To me, it looks more complicated and not as good as the iMatch system.
I looked at the Pat's Easy Change system and I agree with you. It looks like a hassle, because you still have to hook up the top link. What I'm thinking about building will be very similar to an iMatch style quick hitch. My big question is, why do I need to make the hooks and top link holes so large that they require me to purchase or make bushings to fit my implements? Why not just make the hooks fit the pins already on the equipment?

I'm probably overthinking this. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
Greg, I think you may have me confused with someone else.
You're right,sorry. I got you mixed up with 59ApacheDriver.:hide:

Greg

·
Administrator
20,969 Posts
Horror Freight sells a cat 1 quick hitch. It has the hooks sized only for cat 1.

I think you're darned if you do, darned if you don't. The grass will always be greener on the other side they say.

·
Administrator
18,467 Posts
You're right,sorry. I got you mixed up with 59ApacheDriver.:hide:

Greg
56FG, 59AD...Whatever it takes :laugh:

·
Administrator
18,467 Posts
I do not have the answer as to why the ASAE standard requires the bushings, but I thought someone was making one like the HF one hat did not require bushings-not 100% sure though...

You can use the regular bushings or sleeve that TSC sells and a lynch pin if you have limited side-to-side play.

This would also be a nice first project for someone with a new small lathe...who might that be:lol:

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Shouldn't using lynch pins on the 3pt pins of the implement keep them in place? It would be simple enough to rotate the hitch pins so that the lynch pins were horizontal, holding the front and rear of the hook.
You would not have much side to side slop. You would have to be very precise in your alignment when you were trying to grab your implement. The slip on bushings give you an inch or so of lateral play.
It would be interesting to know what the reasons were for the various components of the standard.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It would be interesting to know what the reasons were for the various components of the standard.
Yep. I really would like to know why they designed it that way.

I think I'm going to build one. I need to get a few other things done first, but that should give me time to work out how I want to cut the hooks, and how to set up the release mechanism.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts