·
Administrator
20,282 Posts
but he's including backing plates :mocking:

·
Administrator
17,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suspect that a Deere bucket might have a bad immune response to the orange.
If you read his page, he only sells them primer-ed also...No Grade 8 nylocks, only a 90 day warranty, and I doubt the hooks are G70, you can see the China cast in them.

I wonder if he ships Priority mail-always on the next business day?

Whatever....Good luck to him I guess.

·
Administrator
17,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Administrator
20,282 Posts
Cheer up Kenny. If I didn't have a welder, I would buy your hooks in a heartbeat. They're simple, good value, and you support DT. No contest.

And you're 100% right. Backing plates are not needed. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
You have a better product at a better price. You have nothing to worry about.

But allowing people to add in a backing plate if they feel it's needed would be a cool option.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have a better product at a better price. You have nothing to worry about.

But allowing people to add in a backing plate if they feel it's needed would be a cool option.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Thank you...I am not worried on little bit I can assure you.

Backing plates will be available soon, and that was in the works long before this guy showed up.

·
GTT Vendor
1,530 Posts
Ken, Gents,

I took the liberty of running a quick stress analysis on a mockup of Ken's hook design. The analysis assumes proper use of the hook with the chain pulling along the direction of the slot.

Using Ken's existing washer stack:

• The hook handles a 1500 lb load on a 1/8" thick bucket before experiencing any permanent deformation of the bucket material
  • A 3/16" thick bucket showed a 3000 lb load limit.
For comparison, I then added a backing plate:

• At 1/8" bucket thickness, the load limit becomes 1750 lbs before deforming the bucket material
  • With a 3/16" thick bucket, the load limit would be 4000lbs.
More stress concentrates at the leading edge of the hook base (doesn't change regardless of presence of backing plate) as opposed to the trailing edge of the washers or backing plate. This is due to the geometry of the hook and subsequent offset center of effort.

I hope this helps.

**Edit: These figures are for the sake of comparison only. Do not consider them to represent the actual limits of an assembled system.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ken, Gents,

I took the liberty of running a quick stress analysis on a mockup of Ken's hook design. The analysis assumes proper use of the hook with the chain pulling along the direction of the slot.

• The hook handles a 1500 lb load on a 1/8" thick bucket before experiencing any permanent deformation of the bucket material

• At 1/8" bucket thickness, the load limit becomes 1750 lbs before deforming the bucket material
More stress concentrates at the leading edge of the hook base (doesn't change regardless of presence of backing plate) as opposed to the trailing edge of the washers or backing plate. This is due to the geometry of the hook and subsequent offset center of effort.

I hope this helps.

**Edit: These figures are for the sake of comparison only. Do not consider them to represent the actual limits of an assembled system.
Very cool Chris, I over engineered my install, I installed two 4"x1/4"x48" plates on the top of my bucket making a 3/4 inch thick sandwich.

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,668 Posts
Ken, Gents,

I hope this helps.

Exactly! Thank you
I was not going to comment on the back plate issue, if it is needed or beneficial. To me it's almost common sense and it is extremely difficult to explain common sense.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts