Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a DeWalt impact wrench which I haven't had a chance to use. It is the hog ring type, and when I put a socket on it today the hog ring fit all the way inside the socket so I have not been able to remove it. It looks as though I'll have to cut it off. Suggestions welcome.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,985 Posts
Bought a DeWalt impact wrench which I haven't had a chance to use. It is the hog ring type, and when I put a socket on it today the hog ring fit all the way inside the socket so I have not been able to remove it. It looks as though I'll have to cut it off. Suggestions welcome.
Sounds like you need a good set of impact sockets more than anything.

Also make sure the end of the socket doesn't have any burs to hang up the hog ring installing or removing.

I really prefer the hog ring to the detent pin, imho.

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
i have used a very large heavy duty screwdriver and pried the socket back off. if ya can get it to backed off a hair-take and use a hammer with the screwdriver-and bump it back off. of course ur gonna have to ask for help to hold the impact wrench then. good luck with it.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,985 Posts
Forgot to ask, what size socket you got hung up on the impact tool?

Reactions: Robnik

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I have the hog ring on my Milwaukee impact wrench and have no problem with it. Sockets come right off.

Dave

·
Registered
340 Posts
Small pair of curved needle nosed pliers to slip under and pry up. Didn't really take much pressure to pop loose. Tried this after using hammers, screwdrivers, vice grips, beating it on the floor, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,944 Posts
Clamp the socket in a vise and yank on the Impact :cowboy:

Or send it to me (prepaid) and I'll send the socket back to you.

·
Premium Member
13,121 Posts
I have the hog ring on my Milwaukee impact wrench and have no problem with it. Sockets come right off.
Same here but some hog rings are very stiff when new. It should loosen up after a bit of use. Once he has the stuck socket removed he could also put a tiny drop of oil on the ring and then wipe it back off with his finger. That should leave just enough oil to aid in insertion/removal.

Reactions: Robnik

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
I have found the hog ring works best with "Impact" sockets. If used with normal sockets they are hard to remove.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, guys

I knew there would be some answers here. I ordered set of DeWalt impact sockets on Amazon last night right after I posted this. I have never used an impact wrench before, but it was not my impression that the hog ring would fit all the way inside the socket. It is a 3/4" socket with a 1/2" drive. Maybe the impact sockets have a more rounded edge on the inside than the standard ones. I already tried with a small screwdriver with no luck. I'll try the needle nose pliers idea before I cut the &$*#(!)#*$^! SOB off.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I knew there would be some answers here. I ordered set of DeWalt impact sockets on Amazon last night right after I posted this. I have never used an impact wrench before, but it was not my impression that the hog ring would fit all the way inside the socket. It is a 3/4" socket with a 1/2" drive. Maybe the impact sockets have a more rounded edge on the inside than the standard ones. I already tried with a small screwdriver with no luck. I'll try the needle nose pliers idea before I cut the &$*#(!)#*$^! SOB off.

You really needed the impact sockets anyway, as you are likely to break the non-impact sockets using them with an impact wrench.

Dave

·
Premium Member
13,121 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
As others have suggested, use a screw driver or small pry bar to work it off the wrench. I sometimes will bang my socket on the ground as well. Once you get it off look at that hog ring and make sure it isn't out of round or coming out of the groove it sits in. I had that happen on my Ingersoll Rand wrench but it's got some age on it so it's well used and air powered. I just got a battery powered Ingersoll Rand impact wrench and I absolutely love it. Good luck with your repair. :greentractorride:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did it

Messed with the needle nosed pliers, but that had no effect. But I used a small screwdriver and pried the hog ring off of the tool. Needless to say the socket came right off and the hog ring went back on the tool with very little effort and no apparent damage. Don't try this at home - you may not be qualified.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts