Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to find a solution for removing small debris from my yard. Examples would include the small pieces of twigs, rocks, pine cones, etc. Raking seems to do a good job, but I'm looking into making this a tractor chore. My grass is definitely not beautiful by no means, but I'm not a fan of this debris. Looking to get an idea of what others may be using to accomplish this. Been interested in a 3 point rotary sweeper, but if there's other options I'd be looking to consider them as well.

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
3pt blower is another option.
A sweeper will work well, and also double as a dethatcher, so long as you don't sit in one spot too long.
Both are pricey options.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I loosen everything up with my tow behind 4' "York" rake behind my ATV then use my JD tow behind lawn sweeper pulled by my son's X540 JD mower. I dump the sweeper into a pile and carry the debris to my compost pile in the bucket of my tractor. We do over 4 1/2 acres of lawn this way every spring including the road sides.
Any branches or large twigs get picked up by hand and thrown into the bucket of the tractor before raking and sweeping. A few pine cones get missed but we pick them up, put them in a pail then dump them into the tractor bucket as well.
Lynn

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've been looking for something similar. I have a york rake, it's just too aggressive. I have a TKV20, but the debris I'm dealing with (sticks the size of my thumb) is not something I want to run through it.

I was looking at the EA Pine Needle rake, but the consensus from the forums was that it's too heavy to be a good stick rake. I'm currently pursuing the CMP 3 PH dethatcher from GWT:

·
Registered
576 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
My dad and I tried a pine straw rake not too long ago for gathering up sticks in our lawns. It failed for both of us. Either the sticks just flow out the sides too easily or they fall out when going over uneven ground. Miserable failure. Sold it promptly.

Rob

·
Registered
717 Posts
The 4' "York" brand rake isn't that heavy that its too aggressive. It also has wheels so I can adjust the height. The ATV which pulls it is a whole lot lighter than any of my tractors and the tires don't gouge the turf unless I hit a real soft spot. Those gouges can be rolled out with a lawn roller if necessary.
Lynn

·
Registered
693 Posts
How much area are you working?

I use one of the 42" ground powered sweepers in my back yard that has oaks all around. When you stop moving it stops sweeping. It fills up fast and requires frequent dumping though. Kinda works out for me since I dump in piles along the back edge and spread them out for mulch.

My front doesn't get that much blowing over and I just let the mower mulch it up there.

·
Super Moderator
6,012 Posts
The pinwheel estate rakes will dethatch and kick up sticks and deposit them all in a windrow which makes things much easier to clean up.

·
Super Moderator
6,012 Posts
A PTO Sweeper like the sweep all shown on good works tractors looks really cool.
... until you see the price! 🤣 $4,800 + shipping for a lawn sweeper? I can hire someone to clean up my lawn for many, many years at that rate.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
This;

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use my titan pine needle rake for first pass. As long as it gets actual pine needles in it, it will get the sticks. Need to drive very slow. Once done with that I use a pull behind agrifab sweeper for the thatch and small twigs the rake missed.

I agree that the pine needle rake is ineffective if there’s nothing gathered to close the gaps between tines.

One pile I gathered with the pine needle rake yesterday(not the big brush in back...):

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been looking for something similar. I have a york rake, it's just too aggressive. I have a TKV20, but the debris I'm dealing with (sticks the size of my thumb) is not something I want to run through it.

I was looking at the EA Pine Needle rake, but the consensus from the forums was that it's too heavy to be a good stick rake. I'm currently pursuing the CMP 3 PH dethatcher from GWT:
I've been looking into the TKV20, mostly for leaf control and those odd times of the year where grass buildup is thick and I don't want to leave it behind. I'm just concerned it won't be enough to pickup the more "stuck" pieces, and rocks will still be a concern.

How much area are you working?

I use one of the 42" ground powered sweepers in my back yard that has oaks all around. When you stop moving it stops sweeping. It fills up fast and requires frequent dumping though. Kinda works out for me since I dump in piles along the back edge and spread them out for mulch.

My front doesn't get that much blowing over and I just let the mower mulch it up there.

View attachment 779890
Taking care of about 4 acres of mow-able ground. Plus maybe more once friends and neighbors find out about my new toy, whatever it will be.

A PTO Sweeper like the sweep all shown on good works tractors looks really cool.
Buy Sweep-All Lawn Sweeper: Sweep-All Lawn Sweeper For Sale

I forgot about this option. Seems like a very good piece of equipment. Beats having to sweep into piles then move after the fact. Have to admit, I'm lazy when it comes to yard work. I like a good result with minimal effort. With all the things I have to do otherwise, spending some money so I don't have to break a sweat sounds like a good trade-off.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've been looking into the TKV20, mostly for leaf control and those odd times of the year where grass buildup is thick and I don't want to leave it behind. I'm just concerned it won't be enough to pickup the more "stuck" pieces, and rocks will still be a concern.
The TKV20 is amazing! It does not have a brush / thatch sweep though. If you could attach a dethatcher to the front and then collect it with the TKV20, that'd be the holy grail. Since you can't use the front QH while the deck is on, you'd have to fab something up to make it happen.

That said, I just bought the CMP and plan on a detatch run, followed by a TKV20 run to clean up.

My biggest issue right now is the sticks. Thumb-sized stuff I don't want to be running through the 60d or the TKV20 impeller. it'll do it, but it's unnecessarily rough on the rig when I can rake it and bucket it out to somewhere else

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind is the stihl power broom, but if you don't want to walk, something like this would do it:

I don't like to run sticks or rocks through my TKV-20 either, so I would broom it into rows or piles and pick it up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just got a CMP dethatcher (still in the box and needs to assembled) for dethatching. In watching Good Works Tractor video on YouTube it seems like it is good for leaves, pine straw and modest size twigs and debris. That is what I intend to use it for as well as dethatching.

For what it is worth - for stones and gravel along the drive in the grass and sand from snow piles I use a paddle attachment on my Echo attachment trimmer unit to get it onto the drive. Once on the drive I use the broom attachment to sweep it up into piles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts