Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just in the final stages of a small shed. I had limited room but managed to get a 23 X 16 "L" shape with a parking bay on the "L" side and the other area for implements. The wide side will have a chain block on trolley running full length to enable picking up and shifting or cradling implements. I have the block up but only on one rafter at this point. Cladding going up this weekend.

You'll note that each rafter set is doubled up as I have many items, including a steel rack that will be suspended from the roof structure.

Maybe give you a few idea's....!

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just in the final stages of a small shed. I had limited room but managed to get a 23 X 16 "L" shape with a parking bay on the "L" side and the other area for implements. The wide side will have a chain block on trolley running full length to enable picking up and shifting or cradling implements. I have the block up but only on one rafter at this point. Cladding going up this weekend.

You'll note that each rafter set is doubled up as I have many items, including a steel rack that will be suspended from the roof structure.

Maybe give you a few idea's....!
i like that you wouldn't happen to have blueprints on that would you

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,106 Posts
was looking at a shelter logic "garage in a box". i just dont know if ill be happy with it.
IMO you would be better off with one of those steel carports. Not sure how long a garage in a box will last. Around here 2-3 years.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
I have one of the steel carports, extra height gave me a slightly heavier frame. Have since enclosed it & added a 4' x 16' shelf along one side. Oak 2 x 4 along the other side gives me a place to hang things like mower decks. 3/8" gravel floor w/pallets for some things.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Have any of you guys put up just a lean-to to keep the weather off of the implements? My problem is that I have a bunch of implements, and if I was to enclose a building and be able to drive up to each implement and hook it up, I'd either need a gantry crane to move stuff around, or a building 60' long and 30' wide and all it would be is one long wall of implements and a 20'x60' space for turning around and hooking up. I'm thinking of just building something with a rear wall, a wall on each end, and a roof that slants to the rear and about 9' tall at the front, sloping to about 7' at the rear. If I was really motivated (and wealthy) I'd put a bunch of garage doors on the front to keep all of the weather out instead of most.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm thinking about storing the FEL and rotary cutter under the deck this winter. The only issue I see is the grading. I'd need to level it some in order to get the flat surface I'd need for the FEL. I'm not sure I'm confident enough to tackle leveling that with the FEL but I really think it would be ideal.

If I do it I'm thinking of using some T11 siding and enclose that area. Anyone done this before?

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
I keep my finish mower in an open shed just big enough for it, store my loader forks on top.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I'm currently in the design phase for my new shed... This is what I've drawn out so far and what's still left to do:

One pic shows the basic appearance "assembled" while the other shows the different layers. Plans are:

- 16x20 shed on a 20x24 gravel bed
- 4x4 PT timbers on a gravel bed
- 2x12 PT floor joists spaced on 12" centers
- TWO layers of 3/4" plywood for the floor, offset in both directions between the two layers.
- 2x6 studs, single bottom plate, double top plate
- Roof will be hip style, asphalt shingles
- 10' finished height walls
- 14x9 (possibly 14x8) overhead door on the 16' wall
- Double steel (commercial) door on the 20' wall, opposite from the overhead door
- Was planning on sheathing with T1-11, but may use OSB and put up vinyl that I can get for free.
Shed Assembled.jpg

Shed Exploded.png

The 16' wall without the door will have 50" deep shelves built into it so I have places to "park" the snowmobiles. That will leave me with about 16' of depth for the tractor which is plenty with the loader, pallet forks, and ballast box all installed. The 16' width leaves me plenty of room to park the loader to one side and leave the snowblower on the other, and I'll be able to switch between the two.

I'll probably put up some additional shelves or brackets to have places to store the snowblower in the summer, mowing deck in the winter, bucket and forks. If anyone is in the Central / NW CT area and wants to help, I won't say "no". :)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I keep my finish mower in an open shed just big enough for it, store my loader forks on top.
I'm kind of thinking something like that, only longer (well, wider I guess). I have a 5' rotary mower, 5' disk, 1-bottom plow, log splitter, post hole digger, cultivator/toolbar contraption, 2-row planter, 6' rear blade, and I wouldn't mind having space to stick the loader and ballast box. I think there is something else I'm forgetting. Plus I need an extra slot or two. :) I'd keep the 62D mower in the polebarn because I have the dolly wheels for it to easily move it around.

·
Registered
162 Posts
was looking at a shelter logic "garage in a box". i just dont know if ill be happy with it.

I've had a couple of the 8 X 10 shelter logic's....they have stood up pretty well and even if the fabric goes bad, the frame tubes could easily be covered with some basic tarps for extended life.

Not high quality but have served a purpose.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts

I've had a couple of the 8 X 10 shelter logic's....they have stood up pretty well and even if the fabric goes bad, the frame tubes could easily be covered with some basic tarps for extended life.

Not high quality but have served a purpose.
They have different grades of shelter available, too. The heavy-duty ones have gotten some significant praise from a couple of New England members on another board for their ability to stand up to lots of heavy snow (the higher grade ones). Their "down side" (for me, personally) was their relative high cost compared to what I could build an enclosure for. And, they do not have floors, so you're likely sitting on dirt where the equipment inside may be prone to premature corrosion and rodents / frogs / etc.

·
Registered
162 Posts
They have different grades of shelter available, too. The heavy-duty ones have gotten some significant praise from a couple of New England members on another board for their ability to stand up to lots of heavy snow (the higher grade ones). Their "down side" (for me, personally) was their relative high cost compared to what I could build an enclosure for. And, they do not have floors, so you're likely sitting on dirt where the equipment inside may be prone to premature corrosion and rodents / frogs / etc.
The ones I got were 129.95 each......just needed some temporary shelter until I got the shed up but they have stood up. The fabric is reasonably heavy for the style and cost.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
The ones I got were 129.95 each......just needed some temporary shelter until I got the shed up but they have stood up. The fabric is reasonably heavy for the style and cost.
I believe the ones the other person / people were talking up were a couple thousand for a fairly large shelter. It was their heaviest fabric, I think.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I've never seen those up here.....certainly would be a push to spend that much on something like that!
I agree... That's why I'm custom building my own with a floor, lockable doors, electric, etc....

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm thinking about storing the FEL and rotary cutter under the deck this winter. The only issue I see is the grading. I'd need to level it some in order to get the flat surface I'd need for the FEL. I'm not sure I'm confident enough to tackle leveling that with the FEL but I really think it would be ideal.

If I do it I'm thinking of using some T11 siding and enclose that area. Anyone done this before?
I am planning on adding a deck to the back of my house this spring and that is precisely where I was planning on storing my tractor for the time being. My plan is to use an under decking rain system to keep the area nice and dry. The product that was suggested to me by a friend is call Dry Snap. I have seen it in action and it works great.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts