Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been thinking about a way to make a stand for my single bottom plow and was out in the garage surveying my stash of material when a lonely trailer jack caught my eye. The wheels started turning and soon it was on the plow. The only downside is, it was about an inch and a half to short to sit perfectly level when fully extended. I guess that's what 2 x 6"s are for :thumbup1gif::lol: Haven't tried it on the tractor yet but in theory it should pivot up out of the way.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,568 Posts
:thumbup1gif:

Now just don't pull a Gizmo and try pulling off with the jack down.....:lol:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Now you can set your plow depth with the trailer jack! Raise it to the depth you want, head out to the field, drop the 3 point into float, and the caster wheel will ride on the unplowed surface! Sure, it will bend the second it has to go over much more than a slight bump, but it should work until then!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't really have a huge need for the plow since I don't have a farm to tend to and I have the tiller for my 1025R but since the Deere has a lot of implements and the Ferguson had none I picked this up for a good price. I do plan on trying it out but it will probably spend most of it's time sitting on the skid. I was just happy to re-purpose the jack stand :lol: Didn't want the Fergy to feel unimportant.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
536 Posts
So I've been thinking about a way to make a stand for my single bottom plow and was out in the garage surveying my stash of material when a lonely trailer jack caught my eye. The wheels started turning and soon it was on the plow. The only downside is, it was about an inch and a half to short to sit perfectly level when fully extended. I guess that's what 2 x 6"s are for :thumbup1gif::lol: Haven't tried it on the tractor yet but in theory it should pivot up out of the way.
Is it stable? Easy to tip over?

I like your ingenuity in re-purposing the trailer jack!

·
Premium Member
9,724 Posts
Does the top of the jack clear the 3 point arm when swung up for transport or plow use?

Looks like that is probably as far as you dare go with the jack towards the actual hitch pin, so you have clearance when the jack is rotated. Seems to me that corner is the direction the single bottom plows like to tip if my memory is correct.

The trailer jacks are handy for implement stands. Crank up and down to get the level and height you want. They are usually rated for much more than the implement weighs and you can pick them up on sale at HF and the farm stores quite reasonable.....and they are designed to mount of tubular frame material, so they often bolt up quite easily......

Good idea and thanks for posting!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it stable? Easy to tip over?

I like your ingenuity in re-purposing the trailer jack!
It's actually very stable and I positioned it so that when flipped up it clears the 3pt arm. The plow didn't need much to hold it up. The only downside is at full extension I'm still about an inch and a half short. Without the wood under the wheel it's a little shaky. I also haven't tried it on the ground. I'm sure it will go through a few mods before I'm happy with it.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does the top of the jack clear the 3 point arm when swung up for transport or plow use?

Looks like that is probably as far as you dare go with the jack towards the actual hitch pin, so you have clearance when the jack is rotated. Seems to me that corner is the direction the single bottom plows like to tip if my memory is correct.

The trailer jacks are handy for implement stands. Crank up and down to get the level and height you want. They are usually rated for much more than the implement weighs and you can pick them up on sale at HF and the farm stores quite reasonable.....and they are designed to mount of tubular frame material, so they often bolt up quite easily......

Good idea and thanks for posting!
I positioned it far enough back so that it clears the arm when rotated but it will probably go through a few mods before I settle on the final setup. I wish I had about 2 more inches of travel on the jack. As with all my projects I'll walk by it one day and come up with an idea:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
10,568 Posts
Reactions: Wayne007
1 - 10 of 10 Posts