Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
6458F4AB-8C4F-4B34-A7E1-D079C7CFF129.jpg Just received 6 implements and the thought of leaving them outside is killing me. What type of storage rooms or sheds or buildings have you guys come up with for storage. The tractor is garage kept but no more room for the implements. Pictures would be great. Thanks.

And that doesn’t show the grapple or 6 ft finish mower or ballast box.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I'm in the same boat that you are.

If Mama will allow it, look into getting a "Shed in a Box" from Lowes/Menards/Home Depot. They aren't the most attractive things in the world, but it would keep your stuff out of the weather. That would be the cheapest, quickest option for you.

I've come to the conclusion that I HAVE to get something built this year. Even though I'm on 5 acres I'm kind of limited to where I can place one and it will be close enough to the house that I want it to look good. I'm leaning towards a "Skid Shed" as I'll be able to do everything myself as it won't require concrete, etc.

This is NOT mine, but it's kind of what I'm shootin' for....
Shed_GarandMan-3.jpg

This belongs to a guy on another tractor forum. I believe it's 16x20 and he paid about $10k to have it built on his property. The floor joists on 12" on center and the floor is double 3/4" plywood. He is able to drive his 35hp orange tractor into it, although he doesn't store the tractor in there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Short of building a climate controlled structure to store your implements, your implements will always be "outside" so to speak. A non climate controlled structure will see the same variations of hot, cold, humidity, etc as they would outside. Just build a lean-to that is deep enough to keep any falling/blowing moisture coming through the open end off the implements.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have the same dilemma, some of mine are on dirt, three trailers are on dirt, etc. I would like to get a slab poured and a three sided metal building installed - this way they would be off the ground and somewhat protected from the elements.

Some of the guys around here are buying two shipping containers and place them side by side (about 12-15 feet apart) with an awning of some kind that covers the area between the two containers. I think they are selling the 40' containers for around $3k or something like that in our area.

·
Registered
23,086 Posts
Short of building a climate controlled structure to store your implements, your implements will always be "outside" so to speak. A non climate controlled structure will see the same variations of hot, cold, humidity, etc as they would outside. Just build a lean-to that is deep enough to keep any falling/blowing moisture coming through the open end off the implements.
I have a 20x60 barn but it is full since we keep our vehicles in it. We don’t use our pavillion much anymore so it has turned into my tractor and implement storage place. I just keep everything on pallets which keeps it off the ground moisture plus makes it easy to move stuff with the forks.

94706FC6-D4AF-415F-BB93-9BE8F7B2B15D.jpg

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I'm in the same boat as well. I'm working on a pole barn, but it will be a while. I try to rationalize it by remembering that the implements I bought at the dealer were all sitting out in the elements for who knows how long, so they must not see a lot of harm in doing that.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I feel your pain. When I got the 3520 it barely fit in the "old" Deere pen and was forced to build another that the first lady approved of since it was closer to the house. I took me 3 years to finish it but she's happy and my tractor and attachments are delighted to call it "The Deere Pen"
Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 10.40.08 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 10.40.39 AM.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts
Most have mine have been sitting unprotected on the dirt for 10 years now and the paint still looks pretty good. The only thing I keep indoors is the backhoe attachment and tractor, it sure would be nice to have a huge storage shed though.
I'm planning on building a 16' x 24' lean to off the back of the garage this summer but my FIL who has farmed it his whole life always tells "they're just implements, as long as you keep the tractor under cover don't worry about the rest". I get that but would still like to have my stuff under cover.

·
Registered
370 Posts
We set up a 20'x22' metal storage building on a smooth concrete slab for tractor & implement storage. Implements without their own wheels are on caster wheeled dollies. The smooth concrete allows easy movement & compact arrangement. The chipper base got modified for it's own casters.

Nick

·
Registered
913 Posts
Just my 2 cents worth. I have a paved 12 x 24 foot area under my barn overhang that I thought would be more than enough space for the 1025R and all the implements I would ever acquire. Wrong!

I have all the implements listed below, and it's so crowded, even with stacking things that getting a specific implement out reminds me of working one of these child's sliding number puzzles.

slidingnumberpuzzle.jpeg

I've added a 60" horse arena groomer, and a Fimco boom sprayer to the collection since I finished the list. Doesn't include all the small stuff like chain saws, blowers, string trimmers, jacks, air compressor, etc.

Bottom line advice is BUILD BIG! You will manage to fill it up.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Check these out. I'm going with a vertical roof so leaves and limbs won't lay on them as easy as the horizontal ones, plus they look better.

http://www.newmartbuildersinc.com

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,464 Posts
I have a 24x48 barn and it's never enough space. It's the old adage, if you've got storage space in your barn, you don't have enough tools. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
I too was struggling to figure out how to store all my shiny new JD equipment when I got it last Spring... Storing it outside in the open was not an option, even though that's how most dealers store everything, including tractors! So it took me a while to organize and clear my 14'x24' shed so I could store a bunch in there, and then I installed a water-proof ceiling under my 16'x22' deck and I had instant additional space out of the weather.... While it is all still a work in progress, I feel comfortable that none of my equipment is exposed or at risk.... I plan on getting some pallet racks so I can stack things under the deck, which I am hoping to expand to add another 16'x18'. Once that is done, I won't have any problem storing what I have, and more that I plan on getting!!

Sincerely

Most equipment outside when I first got it
Deere 2038R 229 Loaded on Trailer.jpg

This is how things are currently arranged for the winter months.....

220R Loader, 270B Backhoe and 3 buckets, 72" MMM, 57" HD Bucket,
Pallet Forks, PHD Auger Bits - all in the shed
IMG_4884.jpg

55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple, 72" Rear Blade, 72" Box Blade, 72" Landscape Rake,
PHD300 Post Hole Digger, 20 Gallon Tank Sprayer, Workman XL Dump Trailer - all under deck
IMG_4886.jpg

Tractor with plow sits in garage
IMG_4826.jpg

IMG_4828.jpg

·
Registered
232 Posts
Maybe this threat will give the OP some ideas...
http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/home-workshop-projects/146618-my-shed-equipment-storage.html

^above link is what I did for storage. I build a 2 story workshop which is 30x50, but hate tripping over dirty stuff- especially stuff only used seasonally-, so the vehicles, tractor, and toys sit one one side, and the other half is a dedicated work area. I tossed up a 3 sided carport next to the workshop for the dirty implements, and so far it has worked out very well. My goal was to keep stuff dry and also out of the baking sun. So far snow has not phased it, and it stood its own to a a heck of a gnarly wind storm, so I am quite pleased with it. Not the fanciest, but does what I need it to do. In the pic there is a H165 loader with bucket, a 6' finish mower, 6' blower, 6' front blade, 6' rear blade, 5x10 trailer, 6' rooler, 5' brushhog, forks, ballest box, club cadet mower and some other small odds and ends and I still have the front half open. Point is, alot of space for not alot of $$$$.

Thought about closing it, but for now I am leaving it open since it makes getting stuff in and out so easily, and keeps my price point low. I mean how much money do you spend on this stuff???? lol

I know many like the lean to idea, and while I almost framed one on when I was building the workshop, I am glad I didnt. I much prefer the clean look of dedicated structures.

Good Luck!
-nch209

·
Registered
124 Posts
I’m in the same boat also. It’s amazing how much they take up. Mine are up on blocks and tarred for this season but thinking on a pavilion with sides so it can function for storage and entertainment when needed.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you're on a budget, you can always look at a loafing shed style of building. Open front (long side) and sides with a roof. I have one that's about 10' wide I'm looking at extending for my implements.

Some sit outside, but haven't had any issues with them. I'd like to get them out of the rain, though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was thinking that until I get a building built, I might build custom pallets for each implement, and put corner vertical 2x4s on each one and a little roof over it. Stack each one up on blocks, or at least a couple pallets and it would probably keep most of the moisture off them. I also spray my stuff with fluidfilm after each season to keep the rust down to a minimum.

Reactions: JD4044M and PJR832

·
Premium Member
3,928 Posts
This Summer I want to make a outside wood rack off the ground to put my Equipment on when not used. Right now it is spread all over the place just sitting on the ground. Need to put my blades up to not let the snow hide them in the winter and make them easier to hook onto.

·
Registered
747 Posts
If you're on a budget, you can always look at a loafing shed style of building. Open front (long side) and sides with a roof. I have one that's about 10' wide I'm looking at extending for my implements.

Some sit outside, but haven't had any issues with them. I'd like to get them out of the rain, though.
Thats what I did, picked up two used horse shelters in good shape and set them up with the back to the prevailing winds, keeps most of the sun and snow off. Mine looks similar to this but used.

a213ff_92420c32a1954883a968063cea3cc29a.jpg

1 - 20 of 28 Posts