Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to buy a root grapple and get the 3rd SVC on my 2025R, my dealer told me I didn’t need the 3rd installed ($1800) if I was just picking up brush and bought the Westerndorff Brush Crusher.

I like the idea, but was wondering what other implements that I might buy down the road would need the 3rd SVC?
Because if I need it for something else I would rather get it now and buy a true Root Grapple.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Grapples, plows. And I'm not a fan of the brush crusher.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
If you have an MSL loader you would definitely not want a brush crusher.
You could get extension hoses and run a hydraulic top link. That would make box blades or land planes really enjoyable to use if you have any of those. That would also help almost any implement attachment with a quick hitch.

What other things do you use?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What other things do you use?
Front mount blower, pallet forks, bucket, rear blade.
Don’t see getting a plow due to the EXPENSIVE blower!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suppose it does have it’s limitations, just wondering how bad and are they $1800 worth?

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
I have the 3rd SCV on my 4044R. It cost $1500 for the dealer to add the kit and install it almost 2 years ago. We just had an ice storm the middle of February and we had a huge mess of oak limbs and trees on our 3 acres of yard. I called my dealer and all they had in stock was the Westendorf Brush Crusher, so to get started getting this cleaned up, I bought it. Don’t get me wrong, it worked well getting things picked up and stacked in piles, but my 4 series tractor was too powerful for it. I broke a lot of lynch pins clamping down on brush too hard. Once I took it easy, I didn’t break as many, but they still bent and finally broke. The most difficult thing is getting it to drop the brush. As you tip forward to let brush fall out the top jaws start closing again.

I have enough brush piles stacked up to fill 3-4 semi’s. All of them need to be moved this summer when it dries out back behind the shop in a worked up field to burn this fall. I will be selling the Westendorf and buying a hydraulic grapple to make that job much easier.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
JDLTG,
You've described all of the problems I've seen and heard about. Basically any ability to drop the grapple straight down on top of bushes, logs, brush are eliminated. You are forced to work within the brush crushers limitations.

Reactions: Eischman

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
JDLTG,
You've described all of the problems I've seen and heard about. Basically any ability to drop the grapple straight down on top of bushes, logs, brush are eliminated. You are forced to work within the brush crushers limitations.
It took a little while to figure how to load it. You have to be near the ground and then let it roll over what you’re trying to pick up. The problem is while you’re closing the jaws you also have to raise the loader to keep it from grabbing sod too. The 4 series joystick is so controllable that you can close while raising if you do it slowly. There was no way I could have done that with my old 790 or my friends 3025E. Those joysticks are very quick to respond and aren’t able to close and raise at the same time. Getting it to unload is another challenge. Oak limbs are a pain and tangle up with each other easily. It’s almost like you had to backup while open and lower the loader to get the brush to drag out.

But it did enable me to get everything cleaned up although it took a lot of time. I think I put almost 50 hrs on the tractor just picking up limbs and cut logs with the Westendorf. Yesterday, the farmer who takes our hay stopped by and cleaned 5 cherry trees that had fallen into the field with his 5 series and a hydraulic grapple. They were done in a half hour. That grapple loaded and unloaded easily. I was sold.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I suppose it does have it’s limitations, just wondering how bad and are they $1800 worth?
my neighbor with a skid steer and grapple is amazed at what I can pickup with the brush crusher.

I adjusted the bottom to open as wide as it can and I can pickup anything I want to, even straight down onto a log.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts