Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned a brake controller. After researching I decided I wanted a Tekonsha P3 controller as it received great reviews, is progressive and can control electric and electric over hydraulic brakes. The only issue, I didn't really want to spend $130+.

I kept a watch on eBay for a used one and ended up finding one for $35 used. When it got here I was disappointed to find the manual lever was broken which was not mentioned in the ad. I contacted Tekonsha with the details and to see if they would send me a lever as it is just held in place with a torx screw. They said even though I wasn't the original owner the controller has a lifetime warranty and they would replace the whole unit.

Tekonsha contacted a dealer near me, Camper World, to let them know I would be coming by. Went by this morning and they handed me a full retail packaged brand new Tekonsha P3 controller in exchange for my controller.

THAT is customer service. Very impressed.

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts
Wow....What a rare deal these days.

Thanks for sharing that.:good2:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I had a Prodigy P3 (well, technically, I still have it) in my truck (which I do NOT still have). Used it with a 10k trailer and it always performed beautifully. Nice to hear that they absolutely do stand behind their product.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,785 Posts
Good to know, thanks psrumors. I've use Tekonsha as far back as I can remember and have never had an issue with any of the units I've had.

·
Super Moderator
8,133 Posts
I use a Tekonsha Prodigy as well. I think it's about 9 years old and now in it's fourth vehicle, Ford's & Lincoln's which use the same QC wiring harness.

Frank

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Good to know, thanks psrumors. I've use Tekonsha as far back as I can remember and have never had an issue with any of the units I've had.
And, in this case, there wasn't a problem with the unit. It was with the previous owner's "overzealous" USE of the unit. :lol:

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
80 Posts
that's good to know as I put a p3 in my truck 4 months ago 4 my 10k trailer :good2:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had the Prodigy for my 3rd Gen Ram 2500... put it in myself in about 5 minutes. Worked great.

But brake controller companies know that these devices are becoming extinct, as manufacturers of new trucks are integrating them into their vehicles. This allows these newer vehicles the ability to integrate the ABS, traction control, and E-brakes into 1 device. Example, trailer sways, the software adjusts the trailer to stop sway, working with ABS to slow the whole package down.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had the Prodigy for my 3rd Gen Ram 2500... put it in myself in about 5 minutes. Worked great.

But brake controller companies know that these devices are becoming extinct, as manufacturers of new trucks are integrating them into their vehicles. This allows these newer vehicles the ability to integrate the ABS, traction control, and E-brakes into 1 device. Example, trailer sways, the software adjusts the trailer to stop sway, working with ABS to slow the whole package down.
My brother has a fleet (7 or 8) Ford and Dodge 450 / 550 / 4500 / 5500 trucks. I know the Fords have integrated brake controllers and I believe a couple of the Dodges do, he doesn't use them. He says the Prodigy P2 works much better than the factory controllers.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I use the Prodigy on my class C Ford motorhome, it's about 7yrs old, still works great.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My brother has a fleet (7 or 8) Ford and Dodge 450 / 550 / 4500 / 5500 trucks. I know the Fords have integrated brake controllers and I believe a couple of the Dodges do, he doesn't use them. He says the Prodigy P2 works much better than the factory controllers.
Interesting, as my P2 was good, but I can't tell the difference between it and my Chevy integrated one. You know when some bonehead cuts me off, while hauling or panic stops, the integrated one keeps the package from either dragging me to a stop or locking wheels (not that that has ever happened, my poor horses). I've not had need for the anti-sway, as I try not to run with low or negative tongue weight (ever)... or an out of balanced load, so can't say I've tested that, and I hope to never have to.

The feedback through the Driver Information sensor is good too, letting you know exactly how the unit is working, handy when my 7 way got smashed by sliding cargo one day... the DIC showed "electrical fault - trailer wiring" as soon as it happened.

Maybe the integrated ones on larger axle trailers don't work as well? 450 and 550 is significantly larger than my lowly 2500.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting, as my P2 was good, but I can't tell the difference between it and my Chevy integrated one. You know when some bonehead cuts me off, while hauling or panic stops, the integrated one keeps the package from either dragging me to a stop or locking wheels (not that that has ever happened, my poor horses). I've not had need for the anti-sway, as I try not to run with low or negative tongue weight (ever)... or an out of balanced load, so can't say I've tested that, and I hope to never have to.

The feedback through the Driver Information sensor is good too, letting you know exactly how the unit is working, handy when my 7 way got smashed by sliding cargo one day... the DIC showed "electrical fault - trailer wiring" as soon as it happened.

Maybe the integrated ones on larger axle trailers don't work as well? 450 and 550 is significantly larger than my lowly 2500.
He is about to have his first Chevrolet in his fleet, I'll be sure to ask him how the factory controller works. I'll also be interested in how the Chevy works out for him. It will be replacing the F350 (the only 1 ton he has) as he has had several problems out of it.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Never had a truck with an integrated controller, but my Tekonosha alerts if something goes wrong with the trailer. I see it when I unplug the connector, it turns red and starts flashing a trailer with a circle and a slash over it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts