Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
So this fall we picked up a new 2017 1023e with 120r loader and Frontier SB1148 rear mount snowblower. I know someone with a 1025r which ultimately pushed us into a 1 series vs an x700 when we went to trade in our x310/w 44" front mount snowblower. The x310 provided 4 good years of mowing and snow removal duties, but it was time to move on and after last winters heavy wet high accumulation storms we knew we needed something with some more grunt to get the snow cleared quicker with less messing around. About 3 belts, endless shear pins and alot of choice words later, the decision to trade up was easy.
But I digress, when buying I was a little worried I would miss the cpl extra HP of the 1025. In the end, I dident value the extra lighting or the position control 3PH and better seat enough to cough up the $1800 for a 1025r and after some aggressive dealer pricing, we went 1023e.
Having been hammered here in Maine with snow this year to date I have had ample seat time and can say with surety that the tractor has plenty of power to move and blow snow. Im still a bit taken aback by how well it chews through 2' drifts and frozen banks. I have yet to back into something it will not chew through with relative ease. 6" or so cleanups are done in high range with the engine rpm around 2200ish-2500 tops. I rarely find myself setting the engine rpm up fully to get 540rpm at the PTO. Only when hitting huge drifts or moving large piles of spoil across the driveway will I bring the engine rpm up that high and usually only for a quick pass.
The loader is finally breaking in a bit and control seems to be smoothing out. Having used quite a few of the small orange tractors I have been pleasantly suprised at how well the JD operates. I moved a couple snow banks the other day and I found myself just operating it vs trying to figure out how to get the loader to curl and lift at the same time, it just felt natural. Im certainly stoked to use it for some earth work this summer. Mowing with it will probably feel a tad silly as I only have about an acre to mow, but the purchase was more for snow removal, loader work and the backhoe in the future. The fact that it mows as well is just a bonus.
The 4 -55w lights I installed are working great and my only complaint at this point is no fault of JD, we should have bought the Curtis cab snd heater from the start..... I can say with certainty I will not go another winter without one.
If it would ever stop snowing and warm up beyond 0°f maybe I could work on the auxillary hydraulics for the rear, but that doesent look good anytime soon. Really wish I would have had them install the hydraulic chute angle and rotation and the rear SCV, but I can only imagine how much the dealer would have charged to do some custom hydraulic work to the tractor. :/ They wanted $160.00 to install a single hook in the bucket.... To which I said no, ill weld ot myself this summer and spray paint it green for about $5......

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Sounds like you are having all the fun.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you are having all the fun.
I felt a bit silly trying the snowblower earlier in the year with on 3" on the ground, now its earning its keep for sure. In all honesty, though it is surely a heck of alot more enjoyable this year with the new machine. Something about the sound of a diesel makes me grin too. :)

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They wanted $160.00 to install a single hook in the bucket.... To which I said no, ill weld ot myself this summer and spray paint it green for about $5......
Don't waste time welding on the bucket. Ken's bolt-on hooks are much better.

Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks
I had looked at those, always just welded a hook on in the past but would be willing to try a bolt on for ease of installation. Was wondering how well the bolts held up?

·
Registered
85 Posts
How much snow did you guys get Maineiac?
I am pretty much near Waterville and got 14"
I too have a 1023e but with a front thrower. I debated long and hard to get a rear one. In the end it was a matter of turning around over the money part of it. A cab is on the list of must things to have here in Maine. It is up to the review board (wife) if we should follow through with that one this yr.
Get your fire lit...gonna be a cold weekend up hea.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Bolt the hooks on

I had looked at those, always just welded a hook on in the past but would be willing to try a bolt on for ease of installation. Was wondering how well the bolts held up?
I have 2210 SCUT JD and had always wished for hooks on the bucket, I also installed a 3/8"X2" flat stock to bottom of inside bucket, then drilled bucket and tapped the flat stock for bolts and attacked the hooks with according bolts, N lock washers, It has held up well for more than 7 years and they are open hooks. Like then better than chain hooks as they are more versatile for my application. Just a couple of CENTS worth of my thoughts, ENJOY READIN GA ND BEING A PART OF THE GROUP, Here a the greentractortalk.com Being looking around for awhile and finally but the bullet and signed up,

THANKS,

WALTMART

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
Kenny has some pretty interesting stress testing data on his website but after using mine for over 4 years I'm comfortable saying that you will likely severely damage your bucket long before the bolts or hooks let go.

I recommend mounting them with the clevis backing plate for extra strength and functionality. As you can see below I have the hooks on each side with a clevis underneath and then a 2" receiver hitch in the middle with a clevis underneath. I originally had a hook in the middle but found I never used it.

photo38.jpg

photo32.jpg

E26R3940.jpg

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have the same hook / clevis setup as above from Ken. Extremely durable! All of Ken's stuff is top notch. You won't hear a bad word about his quality, durability or service.

Spent a lot of time around Casco Bay as a young man. Loved Maine! Gorgeous state. Albeit cold at times...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much snow did you guys get Maineiac?
I am pretty much near Waterville and got 14"
I too have a 1023e but with a front thrower. I debated long and hard to get a rear one. In the end it was a matter of turning around over the money part of it. A cab is on the list of must things to have here in Maine. It is up to the review board (wife) if we should follow through with that one this yr.
Get your fire lit...gonna be a cold weekend up hea.
We got about 12.5 last I heard here. My father up in Bradley north of Bangor got around 18" i guess. Havent seen winters like this since the late 80's. I remember using a snowmobile to get to the hunting grounds in 1989 at the end of November. :/
My father has a 1025r with a Curtis cab and the front mount blower. Matter of fact, i druel'd over the cab when we were up north at Christmas. He loves his machine as well.
I went back and forth over the front blower vs the rear till i just about lost my mind. The money wasent a huge factor but here at our apartment building i have a pretty trapped location and blower or not the banks pile up quick having the loader on all winter won out over having to look behind me blowing. I have to get it cleared as quick as possible for our tenants in the mornings before I have to go to work and the loader is proving to be a quick way to knock out the windrows from the city plow.
My only complaint with the Frontier is not having the hydraulic controls, but this will be the only winter that happens. If I had a heated shop and we dident have snow forcasted about every week i might try to get the auxiliary hydraulics done now, but thats not the case so ill grin and bear it.
It has been brutally cold this winter for sure, looks to warm up next week possibly though.. fingers are crossed. I happened to look at our oil barrell right before Christmas and automatic delivery or not we were on E. They delivered the next day 2 weeks ahead of schedual and we took 238 gallons. Poor boiler was running on fumes.. Been a heck of a winter so far here in Vacationland hasent it?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the same hook / clevis setup as above from Ken. Extremely durable! All of Ken's stuff is top notch. You won't hear a bad word about his quality, durability or service.

Spent a lot of time around Casco Bay as a young man. Loved Maine! Gorgeous state. Albeit cold at times...
i appreciate the info on the hooks, i will probably get a set ordered. Im good with not having to weld and paint for sure.
Maine is certainly beautiful at times but can be a very hard state to live in for many reasons. Florida in the winter is getting closer and closer every year. Have to wait for the boy to graduate high school before we can spend all winter there though.... I always wondered why my grandparents went to Fort Myers every winter when I was a kid, I see the logic now. Lol

·
Registered
458 Posts
i appreciate the info on the hooks, i will probably get a set ordered. Im good with not having to weld and paint for sure.
The hooks come 'gold' like the bolts. If you want green ones you will still have to paint them.
I wouldn't be without my hooks though.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
307 Posts
The hooks come 'gold' like the bolts. If you want green ones you will still have to paint them.
I wouldn't be without my hooks though.:bigthumb:
The hooks are so useful, it isn't even logical to not have hooks. A bucket without hooks, is like having a wife that won't cook. She may look good and do other things but a man's gotta eat.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Giving her a workout this season for sure!
Lol
That Frontier is a beast isn't it?
Funny thing is this is the first year i haven't installed mine and left the backhoe on. Figured last year we only had one storm that i used it.
You need a cab my friend.:laugh:

I love Maine as well.
Spent a lot of time up in Sweden, near Lovell when i was younger. Went a couple years ago to Acadia finally. One of the most beautiful places i've been to on the east coast, if not the most beautiful.

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
The ones I posted above were bought before Kenny went to the new anodized finish.

·
Premium Member
8,860 Posts
I too have the Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Clevises on the Underside of each hook on the inside of my bucket. The quality is outstanding and you will be very happy.

IMG_20171022_115346908_HDR.jpg IMG_20171022_115354654_HDR.jpg

Just make sure you have a nice sharp drill bit and it's an easy installation. I would NOT PAINT the hooks as they are a anodized or other surface treatment and very good looking. Plus, if you paint them, you will just end up chipping the paint off the hooks when you use them and it's not a good look on the tractor.

Make sure you check out Ken's other products such as the Differential Lock pedal and many other handy items. Ken is a great guy to deal with and provides great products and extremely prompt service. Plus he dedicates a TON OF HIS TIME to keeping this website and forum's running and everyone playing nice.......

Congratulations on your tractor and glad to hear you are happy.

Oh, and I strongly recommend you also consider adding the Piranah Bar to your loader bucket for summer time work. It's from a different vendor, but if you are going to be using your loader and bucket for any brush removal, etc. the Piranah Bar works very, very well.......

IMG_20171021_131800955_HDR.jpg

1 - 20 of 35 Posts