Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of replacing the mulch blades on my 54" (yellow) mow deck.

What a good set and where would be the best place to get them?

Predator mulch blades any good?

These were the original blades that came from Deere in the mulch kit. Wasn't super impressed with them really.
I thought they could have done better.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff B In Maine

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,586 Posts
If you are using a mulch kit I would be hesitant to use different blades. The blades that come with the kit are designed to work with it.

Why are you not impressed with the original blades?

·
Premium Member
13,634 Posts
I'm with Stan. I have the factory mulch kit and blades on my X500 and couldn't be happier with the way it works. I never felt the need to go looking for 3rd party replacements.

As for a source, try GreenFarmParts. They are a forum sponsor and GTT members get a discount. I bought a spare set of mulching blades a while back when they were having a big blade sale.

Reactions: tj1 and coaltrain

·
Registered
253 Posts
Gator Blades

I really like my gator blades. They blow the OEM blades away. Plus they stay sharper longer. Tractor Supply, Green Farm Parts code is GTT. or Amazon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well to be honest I love the tractor, it's a top notch item but as far a mowing goes I felt this mod deck doesn't do as good of a job as my Toro Wheelhorse mow deck.
Looking to mulch as good as the old Toro.

As for snow removal. Its light years ahead.

·
Registered
23,586 Posts
If you are going to try aftermarket mulching blades like Oregon Gator blades I would suggest removing the mulch kit.

Otherwise I would stick with the factory setup the way it was designed.

I’m sure the mulching capabilities are going to be different between manufacturers. Are you running at full throttle? If so maybe you need to slow your ground speed a bit. Also try the deck at different mowing heights.

·
Premium Member
13,634 Posts
Well to be honest I love the tractor, it's a top notch item but as far a mowing goes I felt this mod deck doesn't do as good of a job as my Toro Wheelhorse mow deck.
Looking to mulch as good as the old Toro.
How many hours do you have on the blades since the last time they were sharpened? I put about 50 hrs per season on my X500 and I sharpen the blades 2-3 times during that time. I have an extra set of mulching blades and I alternate sets with each sharpening.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes full throttle.
I can't mow very fast due to rougher terrain.

Thanks for the advice.

One thing I must say about the stock kit.
It did a fantastic job mulching leaves in the fall. 2-3" of dry leaves... Totally gone.

Better than my Toro there again.
Hoping to get the lawn mowing better this season.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
How many hours do you have on the blades since the last time they were sharpened? I put about 50 hrs per season on my X500 and I sharpen the blades 2-3 times during that time. I have an extra set of mulching blades and I alternate sets with each sharpening.
When they were brand new it didn't impress me very much.
Its not terrible, just not as good as I would like that's all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts