Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After attempting some TIG and dulling the point repeatedly as I learn new tricks, I'm in the search for a small handheld TIG electrode angle grinder. There's several on the market, ranging from $1k+ to under $100.

Sure, I could walk over to the bench grinder but after a dozen or so round trips, it gets annoying. Plus, my bench grinder is big, noisy and takes a min or so to spin down. The ideal situation would be to remove the electrode, grab the tool, grind a new tip, reinstall and go. Without leaving the welding area.

Any thought on these, user experiences, etc. ?

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
1,984 Posts
I've got the eastwood version. Purchased it from eastwood directly, works well, my TIG skills on the other no so much..... it's getting some good use as a result. They are always running some kind of promotion - This one seems to still be valid, save $25 off 125+, free shipping over 99.

·
Registered
X320, 3720 W/ 300cx loader, 5'ford 917 flail, CL 6' box blade,
87 Posts
I got my grinder from weldmonger.com. this guy does a ton of YouTube welding training/teaching videos. I use his videos as training support for new welders so I'll help support his channel.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I bought a cheap bench grinder somewhere and have it in the welding area, thats all it gets used for tig consumables. The walking part is an oh well, At this point in life I have to many tools and not enough time so I am happy with this.

·
Administrator
20,886 Posts
I have this one, it came with a used rig I bought many years ago. It works quite well:

If I was buying today, I'd look hard at this one:

·
Registered
830 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just to clarify, a TIG rod is generally filler material. I clicked this thread in a confused state. What you're looking for is an electrode grinder.

You want a dedicated wheel for tungsten. Never, ever, use a wheel that you've used for another material. You will transfer whatever crap was in the wheel onto the tungsten, and vice-versa. That eliminates most bench grinders. Even if a bench grinder has a clean wheel, it's difficult to make good points repeatably.

Furthermore, the idea is not to just put a point on the tungsten, but to grind in line with the length of the electrode. The arc follows the graining in the electrode, and improper graining will create arc wander.

If you want a good primer on tungstens, check out 'Proper Preparation' about halfway down the page:

Tungsten Guidebook

I went to school for this stuff and geek out on tools pretty hard, so my tools aren't what most people would own. I have a Piranha III. It's massive overkill for the average home shop, and even for many businesses, however it's a wonderful machine that allows one to notch, sever, blunt, and shape tungsten repeatably.

When I get a new package of tungsten, I cut them in half, so I have 20 half-lengths, then sharpen points on each of the half-length, resulting in 40 points. Without a tabletop machine, that job would be miserable and the results inconsistent. With it, every electrode and every arc are the same.

·
Administrator
20,886 Posts
Just to clarify, a TIG rod is generally filler material. I clicked this thread in a confused state. What you're looking for is an electrode grinder.
Opps, sorry. fixed the thread title.
Around here we call them "tungstens", not electrodes. But yes, rods are the filler metal.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a Milwaukee M12 version, not made by Milwaukee, modded by another company.
similar to this

1 - 14 of 14 Posts