Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the 6 ft one I was thinking of buying for $1,600.00 delivered to my home. It has the Flex Hitch and not sure if it is really that important. Is this a good brand I don't want to spend anymore then $1,600.00 on one and want new just because. Are there better ones out there for that kind of money or less delivered free? Never owned one before and used a borrowed 4 ft one once behind a T0-30 Tractor but did not like the way it pushed the tractor stopping. That won't happen with Live PTO anymore. brush hog.jpg

Also wondering about a Frail Mower because all I have to cut is heavy wild pasture grass the first time I cut then maintain it. No brush or small tree in a our "Desert Step Area Land" except sage brush and Bitter Brush there to big to mow and would be pulled out if needed.

·
Premium Member
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A mower like that needs the flex hitch. It’s so the rear of the mower deck can ride up and down with the contours of the ground while staying on the ground and not lifting up.
OK that sound good. I was trying to figure how it flexed right to left not up and down. My ground is smooth but has hills and valleys all over the place.

·
Registered
626 Posts
This is the 6 ft one I was thinking of buying for $1,600.00 delivered to my home. It has the Flex Hitch and not sure if it is really that important. Is this a good brand I don't want to spend anymore then $1,600.00 on one and want new just because. Are there better ones out there for that kind of money or less delivered free? Never owned one before and used a borrowed 4 ft one once behind a T0-30 Tractor but did not like the way it pushed the tractor stopping. That won't happen with Live PTO anymore. View attachment 557713

Also wondering about a Frail Mower because all I have to cut is heavy wild pasture grass the first time I cut then maintain it. No brush or small tree in a our "Desert Step Area Land" except sage brush and Bitter Brush there to big to mow and would be pulled out if needed.
A flail mower would do what you want just fine. However they typically appear to cost more then a basic rotary cutter like this. You will probably be in the $1900-2500 range for a similar sized flail. I have a WoodMaxx FM-62 and like it, the more compact size is a real plus when traveling in my woods. But if you are just working in open fields then you get less benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

·
Premium Member
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A flail mower would do what you want just fine. However they typically appear to cost more then a basic rotary cutter like this. You will probably be in the $1900-2500 range for a similar sized flail. I have a WoodMaxx FM-62 and like it, the more compact size is a real plus when traveling in my woods. But if you are just working in open fields then you get less benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader
That is a nice Frail Mower just took a look at it. Paying more is not out of the question to get good equipment.
Just there is so much out there to choose from!

·
Premium Member
13,662 Posts
Reactions: ky_shawn

·
Premium Member
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I was worried about balancing of the cutter and quality of the steel on the Titan one? Spears and Forks are one thing but this has to spin fast and hold together too? My 6 ft ripper is a King Kutter and has held up great and works the way it should.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
This is the 6 ft one I was thinking of buying for $1,600.00 delivered to my home. It has the Flex Hitch and not sure if it is really that important. Is this a good brand I don't want to spend anymore then $1,600.00 on one and want new just because. Are there better ones out there for that kind of money or less delivered free? Never owned one before and used a borrowed 4 ft one once behind a T0-30 Tractor but did not like the way it pushed the tractor stopping. That won't happen with Live PTO anymore. View attachment 557713

The reason the TO-30 was pushed by the cutter is because it didn't have a live clutch/pto most likely. You won't have that problem with your new tractor. Bushhogging with a tractor without a live pto is dicey work. With that said, with the size of tractor you have definitely get a 6' cut and the brand and durability of what you purchase needs to be matched with the work you have intended for it. You can destroy a light duty cutter quickly doing heavy duty work with it like cutting brush. If your cutting grass and weeds only then a light cutter will hold up fairly well. I like King Kutter overall however the cutter in pic seems to be a better grass/weed cutter than a brush cutter in my opinion. You say your cutting pasture grass and considering the price of it being dropped off at your door step basically, it probably would serve you well.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have that exact KK in 60" on my 2038R. I got it for around $1200 at Rural King during their black friday sale. The 60" does good for me on my tractor cuts smaller saplings and fields no problem, I haven't cut anything probably more than 1.5". The flex hitch makes it nice on my not so even ground.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
My first mower was a JD "bush hog" type mower,,
like all of them,, my mower "windrowed" the cut grass,, and that would kill what was under the windrow.

So,, I bought a flail mower,,

This 90 inch mower works better behind my larger tractor,,
but, just for kicks, I had to try it behind my JD tractor. :dunno:
It mowed,, :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
That one looks like it would work just fine. It also looks like it would work with an iMatch if you go that route. You can usually find used 6ft brush hogs just about anywhere you look as they are the most common size out there, but be aware that most of the older ones are not iMatch compatible. And save some money. I bought a Rhino 6ft for $600, but have never used it since I use my 110 inch RFM for all my mowing. With the usage you described, you might want to consider a RFM that you can use for all your mowing, yard and pasture. I have mowed stuff higher than the hood of the tractor, but no heavy brush, although my Befco RFM does have swinging blades like a brush hog. Check them out at BEFCO - Cyclone C70 (30-70 HP tractors) You might want to go with the 90inch model with your lower HP. They do have an optional iMatch compatible adapter which I have. Very heavy duty.

Dave

Reactions: PJR832 and JD4044M

·
Registered
686 Posts
I scored a lightly used Frontier MX6 for $2k three months ago. Check Craig's List and any local Facebook 'garage sale' groups. (I need to sell the pull MX8 - too much of a hassle to use.)

·
Premium Member
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
That one looks like it would work just fine. It also looks like it would work with an iMatch if you go that route. You can usually find used 6ft brush hogs just about anywhere you look as they are the most common size out there, but be aware that most of the older ones are not iMatch compatible. And save some money. I bought a Rhino 6ft for $600, but have never used it since I use my 110 inch RFM for all my mowing. With the usage you described, you might want to consider a RFM that you can use for all your mowing, yard and pasture. I have mowed stuff higher than the hood of the tractor, but no heavy brush, although my Befco RFM does have swinging blades like a brush hog. Check them out at BEFCO - Cyclone C70 (30-70 HP tractors) You might want to go with the 90inch model with your lower HP. They do have an optional iMatch compatible adapter which I have. Very heavy duty.

Dave
That is a nice looking set up. I have a yard to mow but it is only 30x30 and for the dogs to lay on. I have a lot of gravel around the home because of wildfires. But my pastures and fence line grass looks sorta like a lawn when mowed. Was thinking of a finish mower too? Is this what this is? I like the 4 wheels to keep it from digging in. Long as I could cut it to around 8" inches or so tall. Don't want to mow what the Cows eat but get rid of all the tall old stuff that makes it hard for them to put there face into and eat. Here is a picture of what I what I need to mow and a bunch more. You can see how they do not like the tall stuff and eat around it. I would love to mow these clumps down we have all over the place. The Horse keeps the lake pasture pretty short and nice. Don't need to mow it except the clump grass as I call it. DSCF3433.jpg DSCF3440.jpg

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
That is a nice looking set up. I have a yard to mow but it is only 30x30 and for the dogs to lay on. I have a lot of gravel around the home because of wildfires. But my pastures and fence line grass looks sorta like a lawn when mowed. Was thinking of a finish mower too? Is this what this is? I like the 4 wheels to keep it from digging in. Long as I could cut it to around 8" inches or so tall. Don't want to mow what the Cows eat but get rid of all the tall old stuff that makes it hard for them to put there face into and eat.
I cut a lot of pastures for customers and I am certain if I showed up to cut their pastures with a finishing mower or a flail mower they would send me on down the road. They would freak out I was cutting their ground to low and really, I don't see how a finishing mower or flail mower would cut high enough and leave what's vital for livestock behind. A rotary cutter seems to me to be about as good as it gets for cutting pastures. If we cut pastures a bit to low here and then hit a dry period, well, your just screwed because you really hurt if not killing off your pasture.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
That is a nice looking set up. I have a yard to mow but it is only 30x30 and for the dogs to lay on. I have a lot of gravel around the home because of wildfires. But my pastures and fence line grass looks sorta like a lawn when mowed. Was thinking of a finish mower too? Is this what this is? I like the 4 wheels to keep it from digging in. Long as I could cut it to around 8" inches or so tall. Don't want to mow what the Cows eat but get rid of all the tall old stuff that makes it hard for them to put there face into and eat.

Tallest setting is around 5 inches. I mow everything at 4 inches. These RFM (rear finish mower) mowers are rear discharge, so no windrowing that is common on brush hogs. If you really needed to mow at a higher setting, you can raise the front of the mower while mowing using the 3pt. One of my main reasons for getting this mower was the swinging blades. Also the 110 inch cutting width. Mowing my yard does not even kick in the turbo. Very economical on fuel. Different story when I mow the tall stuff. Once that turbo kicks in, the fuel gauge moves quickly.

Dave

·
Registered
913 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts