Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening!
My family and I live on 10.5 acres in the country so I've been looking at buying a new utility tractor. I've ruled out Case/Farmall, Kioti and New Holland/ LS and have narrowed it down to either a 1025R or a LX2610 (leaning heavy on the Kubota side). It's primary attachments are going to be a front snowblower, loader and box blade and it will be a cab model. Does anyone have any input as to why I should go green?

·
Registered
2015 2025r 62mmm h130 af10f plow forks 62 disc ripper and a woods m5 Dixie mower
1,036 Posts
Hi and welcome to the place where people will send your money for you lol welcome to gtt I went green because of dealer support drive over deck and better oparaters station but I was comparing apples to apples a l series is a way bigger frame size then a 1 series why not compare it to a 3e series I guess the cab but it’s a way different tractor then a 1 series

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Not really green or orange but I'd go bigger if I were you. At least a large 2 series for 10 acres. It can be done with a 1025 but you'll find it's limitations quickly.

·
Registered
J.D 2038r
190 Posts
Welcome from NW Ct. most people here like the color green .
I personally like that J.D. has a better support system in my area .

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Cab and green means at least 3033R. Probably a big price step from an orange cab.
Plenty of cabs available for the 1 and 2 series machines.

Reactions: jdforever

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Good evening!
My family and I live on 10.5 acres in the country so I've been looking at buying a new utility tractor. I've ruled out Case/Farmall, Kioti and New Holland/ LS and have narrowed it down to either a 1025R or a LX2610 (leaning heavy on the Kubota side). It's primary attachments are going to be a front snowblower, loader and box blade and it will be a cab model. Does anyone have any input as to why I should go green?
With a name like yours you should go CHTZ!!!

If you have no clearance or storage space issues I'd go with the largest tractor that you can afford. I love what my 1025r can do but if I had no clearance issues (and could trailer a larger tractor), I'd go with a 2 series.

If you're settled on a 1 series I prefer the ergonomics of the Deere over Kubota. I don't at all mind the Kubota treadle pedal but the Deere seems to have a better feel. It feels compact without feeling clumsy.

Reactions: Red_russian1

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why a 1025R and not a 2025R, which to me seems more comparable to the LX2610?
Well, I was on board with the 1025R and we were gonna go talk to the dealer this Saturday but then I decided to take a look at Kubota, knowing that they were going to be more expensive (JD wants $8,200 down payment and Kubota has $0 down so it was kind of a deal breaker). I read/heard somewhere that the 2025 was just a glorified 1025 and not worth the money.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Well, I was on board with the 1025R and we were gonna go talk to the dealer this Saturday but then I decided to take a look at Kubota, knowing that they were going to be more expensive (JD wants $8,200 down payment and Kubota has $0 down so it was kind of a deal breaker). I read/heard somewhere that the 2025 was just a glorified 1025 and not worth the money.
Well, in many ways, like engine for example, the 1025R and 2025R are the same. But 2025R vs LX2610 is comparing 2 cat1 tractors, and the 1025R vs LX2610 is comparing a limited cat1 tractor to a full cat2 tractor. If you plan on using an auger things like that are important. I see the no money down attraction of the Kubota, and you will hopefully be getting a good tractor.

I phrase it that way because I have been loaning my 1025R intermittently to a friend with a horse farm operation whose LX2610 developed transmission problems, and has recently spent about 2 months in the Kubota shop. It was returned "fixed" after the first month and immediately started hemorrhaging hydraulic fluid again. Thus the second month. And a month without a tractor on a busy horse farm seems an eternity when 26 horses continue to require feeding and produce up to 1,300 pounds of manure every day.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, in many ways, like engine for example, the 1025R and 2025R are the same. But 2025R vs LX2610 is comparing 2 cat1 tractors, and the 1025R vs LX2610 is comparing a limited cat1 tractor to a full cat2 tractor. If you plan on using an auger things like that are important. I see the no money down attraction of the Kubota, and you will hopefully be getting a good tractor.

I phrase it that way because I have been loaning my 1025R intermittently to a friend with a horse farm operation whose LX2610 developed transmission problems, and has recently spent about 2 months in the Kubota shop. It was returned "fixed" after the first month and immediately started hemorrhaging hydraulic fluid again. Thus the second month. And a month without a tractor on a busy horse farm seems an eternity when 26 horses continue to require feeding and produce up to 1,300 pounds of manure every day.
Clyde, the 2025R has a limited cat 1 just like the 1025R.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Clyde, I honestly don't know the LX2610. When I went tractor shopping my primary concern was a front PTO driven snowblower. Most of the ones I saw used belts or hydraulics to drive the front snow blower, if they even offered one, so were out of the running. I ended up with a 2032R from JD. I would have gone with the 3 series with a cab that would work with a backhoe but was getting static from the dealer (new clueless sales person) and didn't know enough to argue. Pick the one that meets your needs, wants, and requirements the best. Good luck.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Good evening!
A couple of questions. Is there a brush mower in the picture? If there is how many acres? Anything more than two would seem more like a sentence than a job on a 1025R. 4' brush hogs take a while to get stuff done. Not to mention racking up the hours. Do you have a preference in either the separate fwd/rev pedals or the treadle pedal? Loader lifting requirements? Third function for grapple or plow? Another thing is frame size. Those are different frame sizes so it's not apples to apples. A larger 2 series or 3 series is a closer match. In order to get a JD cab (with A/C), you'll have to get the 3033R as you cannot get a cab on the 3E tractors. How many SCV's do you need and what are the cost differences? These are some of the things I would be comparing if it were me. For that acreage larger tires than the 1025R would also be desirable. Just my $0.02.

Reactions: Big

·
Premium Member
5,343 Posts
Ask around regarding reputation of both dealers. This would go a long way in helping me make that decision.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm a green and yellow guy and don't really know the Kubota lineup, but all of the Kubota front snowblowers I've seen look much better built (IMO) than the current Deere offerings. What I remember was all Radtech units which you can't easily get for a Deere in the US. If that's a major part of the intended use, maybe something to consider.

Also as stated above you're comparing different size machines.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
The LX has air conditioning as well as heat in the cab. 😎

Reactions: Big and Rule292

·
Registered
223 Posts

Each horse puts out 50 lbs of manure a day?

Wow

Reactions: Dbl_Taps

·
Registered
333 Posts
My 2 cents..... and I'll try to provide neutral info

Decide what implements you want or what needs to get done: Is the driveway 400' of gravel? Do you have woods to maintain? Will you mow with it, and how much? Do you garden or farm?
In addition to the items you listed: cab, land plane, snow blower, etc. You might want forks, box blade, mower deck, grapple, post hole auger, tiller, etc.
Are all these available, and do they hook up easily to the model you like?
If you want a belly mower deck, how does it get on + off? How does the front end loader get on + off?

Visit both dealers, decide which one feels better. (both tractor and dealer folks) Do they both have good reviews?

You can also check out a ton of videos, where folks in the know share an opinion:

IS IT WORTH PAYING THE PREMIUM? ARE JOHN DEERE & KUBOTA BETTER? - YouTube

And The Winner Is? Kubota BX2680 vs John Deere 1025R - YouTube

Whatever you decide will work for you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Something to keep in mind too is dealer location. I'm not just talking distance to you but also what's going on in their area.

For example, my nearest JD dealer can be gotten to through back roads as well as a fairly simple highway route. They're on the edge of an area that is growing but it's not too bad yet. Yeah, they're a bigger corporate dealer but that also has the advantage that with some extra easy driving I can get to their second closest store. This made JD a very attractive option in my opinion as I'm confident I could trailer a tractor to them for repairs.

I'm willing to bet my nearest Kubota dealer will be moving in the next decade. The Ford dealership right next to them already has plans to move to a different site and the city has been building mid-rises everywhere in their area. The land value alone would set the owners up for a long, long time. Even if they don't move I would be having panic attacks attempting to navigate the highway route to them with a tractor on a trailer for repairs. Pre-pandemic it was some of the worst traffic in the country and I just cannot imagine that it will be any better post-pandemic. If they move though it won't be any closer to me as there's almost no where left to move in that direction. The second closest Kubota dealer would be far enough that I'd basically have to take a day off work just to transport the tractor.

So I went with JD. If I lived in PA close to Messicks (I'm only mentioning them because I know they have multiple locations) I would probably have given Kubota more consideration.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts