Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been asked before, but since I had my trusty old Kodak, I forgot most of those threads. Now, due to my 2 year old granddaughter, by Kodak is dead after all these years. So I want to buy an inexpensive point and shoot digital camera, preferably under the $150 range, or better yet, under the $100 range. I'm looking at a Nikon S4300 that's on sale now for $98, or maybe a Nikon L28 for $90. I want the camera to be small, to fit into my pocket, be inexpensive, be compatible with my older G4 Mac, have optical zoom, a rather large screen, etc. Any recommendations or suggestions. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Terry,I'm thinking whatever you get will do the job. The Nikon you mention will more than fit the bill for what you want to do.:good2:

·
Registered
18 Posts
You should take a look at some of the 16mp Canon Powershots. Model #s are as prolific as rabbits but the A130 has a good sheet. In your price range, no matter who is the manufacturer, they're somewhat commodified. So things like screen size, and a menu structure you like...all the subjective things...are what set them apart (barely).

A good source for reviews is dpreview.com. They also have some explosive and active forums :laugh:

Reviews / Previews: Digital Photography Review

As full disclosure, I am a professional photography and I am a Canon user. Give a shout if you need to!

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both of my daughters had Canon Power Shots, and had trouble with them. Neither one lasted a year, so I want to stay away from Canon.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I was also going to recommend Canon, as that is all I've owned for probably 20 years. Sounds as though you've had a few bad experiences though, so I can see your concern.

I would say anything by Canon or Nikon would be an excellent choice.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
I've had really good service out of the Olympus Stylus series. My present Olympus Stylus is over 15 years old and has taken almost 20,000 pictures. I highly recommend that series by Olympus. I've had 3 and will buy another one when the time comes. Not sure if they are in your price range thouigh.

Good luck.

·
Administrator
17,325 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,136 Posts
Whoops, I would have to say Canon also. I use a Canon PowerShot A470 and it has been bullet proof.
Although the 4s, as Kenny said, works darn nice and you just email the pictures to your computer and you get to talk with Siri.

·
Administrator
17,325 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I'm a huge Canon fan. I have an SD6xx PowerShot. It worked great, but my HTC phone had a higher Megapixel rating. So anymore I use my cellphone. Most point and shoots don't have any zoom so a Camera phone works just as well. When I want to take quality pics I have a Canon T2i DSLR. It's been a great system I've used for 3 years now. As a guy I got annoyed carrying a phone and point and shoot. For my DSLR I have a nice mini backpack that holds my camera and 300mm lense.

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do have an iPhone 3GS, but lately I noticed the pictures it has been taking has been a little dark. I have taken pictures with it in the past without problems, but the last few weeks it's been taking lousy pictures. And it does not have optical zoom. My old Kodak, though only 3.1 mp, was great and I wish it still worked, but it doesn't. As I said, my daughters have both had bad experience with Canon Power Shots, so if I can avoid buying another one, I will. Right now I'm leaning towards two different Nikons, but would like to check out Olympus and other models as well.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I have always liked Nikon stuff for 35mm and bought a really nice Nikon digital a few years ago with a couple lenses for the tune of a couple grand. It was too much to drag around so I bought a Nikon small point and shoot camera. I tried 2 or 3 over 5 years.They were OK but nothing superb. I have since migrated to Sony for pocket size cameras. Durable and take decent pictures and great video.

I am sure there are tons of great $100 to $200 cameras out there but the Sony's are working best for me.

One thing that is important to me is instant on. I want to flip it on and shoot and not miss a shot.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I do have an iPhone 3GS, but lately I noticed the pictures it has been taking has been a little dark. I have taken pictures with it in the past without problems, but the last few weeks it's been taking lousy pictures. And it does not have optical zoom. My old Kodak, though only 3.1 mp, was great and I wish it still worked, but it doesn't. As I said, my daughters have both had bad experience with Canon Power Shots, so if I can avoid buying another one, I will. Right now I'm leaning towards two different Nikons, but would like to check out Olympus and other models as well.
Check the lens and Make sure it's clean. If it is I'd look at your camera's setting. I bet it's got a setting out of wack. Happens all the time.....

·
Premium Member
7,340 Posts
As I understand it, Olympus is/has getting/gotten out of the point-n-shoot camera market due to the proliferation of cell phone cameras. I suspect in time Canon, Nikon, and Sony/Minolta will do the same.

I have an older Hamstrung (Samsung) semi-dumb phone and the camera is decent, not great mind you; but for point-n-shoot convenience it works. The less crap I have to carry around the better.

I have a Canon DSLR that I use when I need capabilities that a point-n-shoot doesn't have; but that thing is heavy and built like a tank, so it doesn't get used often.

Sadly like so many things, it appears that Canon and Nikon are about all that is left when it comes to consumer through professional grade cameras. Mind you I'm not referring to high end Hasselblad's, Leica's and the like. I have Pentax film cameras; but they seem to be all but gone in the digital arena.

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It looks like I might be able to get an used GoPro Hero for around $100 from ebay, but the Hero 2s and Hero 3s are a lot more. Does anyone know anything about the original GoPro Hero? Any reviews on them?

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I'll sell you a Hero. :)

I really like it, but for the money I'd get the 2. It's got an 11 MP camera versus the Hero's 5. Video quality is great on both as long as the light is good. If it starts to get dark they don't have the best quality. The biggest negative I have for the Hero is the clunky LCD. Its a pain to remember what the little segment symbols mean.It's got a LCD that only displays segments. If you get one get the LCD backpak. Then the On Screen Display will make setting the camera options WAY better. Plus you'll get the shots you want. GoPros do not have view finders and I've found it hard to get the shot you want. That's because you have to look at it on a computer afterwards and often can't set the shot back up. LCD backpack is the best $80 you can spend on a GoPro. I have a Hero and a Hero2. The Hero2 has a newer dot matrix LCD display built in that gives you detailed info on what settings you are using. Leaps and bounds better in my opinion. Love the waterproof cases and all the mounts they have available.

There is no zoom and the lense is Wide Angle. With the Hero2 you can take different sized photos and they don't have to be wide angle. I think the lense is alway a little wide angle, but in the lower photo ranges it doesn't take as wide a photo. You can also get the WiFi backback and then your smart phone can control the camera. They also make a remote that lets you take pictures from up to 20 feet away from you. All pretty cool option. I think the WiFi backpack is only for the Hero2. The Hero3 Black comes with the WiFi built in.

Just incase you aren't GoPro savvy. There is a small LCD display on the front of the camera that tells you setting info. The LCD backpack is a full color display that snaps onto the back of the unit. It comes with all the clear case extentions you will ever need to keep the GoPro water proof. When it's on, the camera picture is displayed as well as the settings. You also get a battery meter. It's more like a small point and shoot at this point. Only it can be fully water proof depending on the rear crystal case cover you choose. Both Hero and Hero2 are a little slow when you snap a picture. There's a couple second delay. Not a big deal, but its noticable.

I'm a big fan of GoPro and they have been great to work with. My Hero 2 just quit one day so sent them an email. They gave me the info and once they got my unit they sent me a new one. Very quick exchange. I can't remember if I had to pay shipping or not, but I think I did.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I thought go pro's for basically for action stuff and not your basic point and shoot. Its what I see suction cupped to cars when I am at the race track.

I would guess they are durable.

·
Super Moderator
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good info. As for not having a viewfinder, most of the cameras I've seen lately don't have one either. I liked the viewfinder on my old Kodak and refer using it instead of the screen. I have to give a long thought on whether I want a GoPro or just a basic point and shoot camera.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts