Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I would share my experience buying, installing, dismounting, and re-mounting the Deere D120 loader on my 1023e.

I couldn't find much info when I was researching this loader model, as this isn't a popular option... so I hope this helps others considering the difference in models.
My dealer had to order this for me. It came from Mexico by truck to them, and in my truck to me.

Why I chose this loader over the 120R or H120 is spelled out in other threads.
I was given great advice and information about those other two, I considered that information, did some research, and chose the D120 for my needs.

I'm not looking to debate the superiority or cost effectiveness of those other loaders in this thread, I just want to share some information about the D120 model.

I bought this loader "cash and carry" on a pallet that fit in the 5.5' bed of my pickup. (I did remove it from the pallet and lay it down in the bed for safety sake)

IMG_20190819_184240.jpg

I was a little disappointed that it was missing 2 bucket pins, 2 spacers, and 3 nuts... The hardware bag had worn a hole in transit and they must have fallen out.
(Imagine one of those hitting your windshield at 65MPH)
My salesman checked into it, and got the parts shipped directly to my home a few days later. It is nice to work with a dealer that cares...they got it all right the first time.

When I got it home, I noticed rust inside the pin bores where the loader attaches, and some globs of extra powder coating in there too. I spent about 20 minutes with some green pads and a little sandpaper on a drill, and honed them out to clean steel.

IMG_20190824_110824.jpg

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
While the dealer provided the manual, the loader did not come with the installation instructions.

I was able to find a scanned PDF of these online. I did use them for tightening sequence and component locations, but chose my own order of events.
I took everything off the pallet, separated the heavy mast castings from the loader boom, and put the kickstands on.

IMG_20190824_113355.jpg

This made it well balanced and very easy to put the bucket pivot pins in. I did have to roll the bucket back and place an 8x8 block under it to get the curl cylinder pins in.

IMG_20190824_122241.jpg

I then attached the heavy cast mounting frames. I had to remove a hydraulic line clamp to get the rear lower two bolts in the left side.
These bolts are special, they have a square carriage bolt like protrusion, under a hex head. They go from the inside out, with the nuts visible. 230ft/lbs on these, tightened in a crisscross pattern.

IMG_20190824_122259.jpg

IMG_20190824_122247.jpg

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Although Deere recommends Polyurea grease as preffered, this loader came with sloppily applied black grease (Moly EP?).
The grease in the arms and masts had collected a sandy grit... likely from the roadtrip back from Mexico...
I cleaned the masts, pin bores in the boom and cylinders, and pins of this sandy goop, and filled them with the clean, new, pretty green Deere Polyurea. I then took a moment to hydrate, and look over my work so far.

IMG_20190824_122313.jpg

IMG_20190824_122309.jpg

IMG_20190824_133659.jpg

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The heavy cast masts are held on with 3 bolts each torqued to 230ft/lbs. The masts are a wedge fit into the mounting frames.

IMG_20190824_135321_1.jpg

IMG_20190824_135331.jpg

These are tall. I am curious to see if they are "in the way" of operating the tractor.
I don't love moving the center of gravity up... but I guess it wont be too much.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At this point I was all set to roll the tractor into the loader booms for mounting.
I hung the pins from the pin hangers for easy reach.

IMG_20190824_135858.jpg

Then laying the hoses out so the connectors would be pointed in the right direct to prevent twisting, I tightened them.

IMG_20190824_141042.jpg

IMG_20190824_141039.jpg

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the hoses bundled, the hanger installed, and the pins in, I was ready to operate the loader.

IMG_20190824_141808.jpg

Time to remove those kickstands!

IMG_20190824_141819.jpg

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All done.
Not counting leaving for a haircut, going to the dump, and cleaning the rust from the pin bores. This installation took 1 hour 18 minutes.
If you do count the 20 minutes I spent on the rusty bores... the total is 1 hour and 38 minutes... and done in a careful manner.

IMG_20190824_143036.jpg

Screenshot_20190824-141834.png

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There were mixed reports of how difficult removing and installing this loader is.
I wanted to provide clear information on that as well... so recorded a video.

The loader dismounts in 3 minutes and 20 seconds.
It took me 4 minutes and 15 seconds to re-mount the loader.

This was done on a level concrete surface using proper tools... if you drop this loader off the tractor on a soft uneven surface, it might be more difficult.
But, it really doesn't weigh enough (<500lbs) to be really difficult with a rolling head round pry bar, or bull pin, with the hoses hooked up to move the boom a bit.

Here's the video.

·
Registered
954 Posts
All done.
Not counting leaving for a haircut, going to the dump, and cleaning the rust from the pin bores. This installation took 1 hour 18 minutes.
If you do count the 20 minutes I spent on the rusty bores... the total is 1 hour and 38 minutes... and done in a careful manner.

View attachment 701516

View attachment 701518
Great project. Thanks for posting it. How does it work? Hydraulics shape up OK?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great project. Thanks for posting it. How does it work? Hydraulics shape up OK?
Aside from some trapped air making that right side lift cylinder extend unexpectedly and forcing me to use the prybar about 7 minutes into the video, the hydraulics seem great.
I had to move some stuff from the big shed to the small one... 3 bags of tube sand and a bag of cement.. no problem, smooth predictable operation. A 12" craftsman bandsaw strapped to the bucket.. not an issue.
I love the regen on the bucket dump.. nice feature for sure.

I do know I'm going to need to add some hooks, and I need to figure out my ballast plan.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Nice job :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Nice documentation.
I never realized that it connected at the back of the arms differently as well. I just always thought it didn't have the JDQA at front.:dunno:

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Nice job and nice write up! :good2:

I noticed that you were re-hydrating wuth a Mexican beer while installing your Mexico built loader. Was that specified in the instructions and was the Modelo included in the parts bag? Good thing it didn't fall out in transit!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,574 Posts
There were mixed reports of how difficult removing and installing this loader is.
I wanted to provide clear information on that as well... so recorded a video.

The loader dismounts in 3 minutes and 20 seconds.
It took me 4 minutes and 15 seconds to re-mount the loader.

This was done on a level concrete surface using proper tools... if you drop this loader off the tractor on a soft uneven surface, it might be more difficult.
But, it really doesn't weigh enough (<500lbs) to be really difficult with a rolling head round pry bar, or bull pin, with the hoses hooked up to move the boom a bit.

Here's the video.

Nice job!

I alerted the mods to ask if this video should be included in the Technical Library for the 1 series.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Aside from some trapped air making that right side lift cylinder extend unexpectedly and forcing me to use the prybar about 7 minutes into the video, the hydraulics seem great.
I had to move some stuff from the big shed to the small one... 3 bags of tube sand and a bag of cement.. no problem, smooth predictable operation. A 12" craftsman bandsaw strapped to the bucket.. not an issue.
I love the regen on the bucket dump.. nice feature for sure.

I do know I'm going to need to add some hooks, and I need to figure out my ballast plan.
Nice video! It kind of refutes the dire warnings about the convenience of the D120 loader.

I rarely take my loader off, but I switch between bucket and forks very frequently, much to my surprise. I would have to include the cost of JDQA brackets and a QA bucket to the project if it was me.

·
Administrator
20,370 Posts
This is a great technical thread. I will copy this to the technical library, thanks for the suggestion Stan. :thumbup1gif:

Excallent job BWV! :bigbeer:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice job and nice write up! :good2:

I noticed that you were re-hydrating wuth a Mexican beer while installing your Mexico built loader. Was that specified in the instructions and was the Modelo included in the parts bag? Good thing it didn't fall out in transit!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I was hoping someone would see the humor in the origin of the beverage ;) I have an odd sense of humor.

Nice video! It kind of refutes the dire warnings about the convenience of the D120 loader.

I rarely take my loader off, but I switch between bucket and forks very frequently, much to my surprise. I would have to include the cost of JDQA brackets and a QA bucket to the project if it was me.
The easy part to convert would be buying the BW15939 set to convert the loader (~$320ish)... it bolts right on.
The tougher part, with an additional cost, would be converting the bucket:
~$90 for Deere top hooks, clips, and bottom pins
$160 for Artillian prefab plates (I think I'd go this way...easier fit up, the math is already done, and it looks to be a stronger end result)
Either way you'd cut the pin-on ribs off the back of the OE bucket, and weld on the JDQA stuff.

This is a great technical thread. I will copy this to the technical library, thanks for the suggestion Stan. :thumbup1gif:

Excellent job BWV! :bigbeer:
Thanks!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Figured I'd update.. It's been a couple months now...
I've had the loader on and off a dozen times at least.
I'm still really happy.
Putting the kickstands on and pulling four pins.. then putting them back and stowing the stands is super easy to do.
I don't mind the extra loader frame hanging on the tractor when the loader is off, it's a nice place to grab climbing off and on.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts