Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at possibly trading in my 2032r for a 3046r. My deli ma is the backhoe attachment. There are two models available for the 3046r. 375A and the 385A. The difference is the reach but I see where some of the digging pressure is higher on the 385A. Those of you that have the 385A, are you happy with it? Have you found any issues that would make you wish you had the 375A? Or just any other input you can give me. Pro/Con?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
I'd go with the 385 BH if I were you. The longer reach means it's faster and easier to dig to a greater depth without repositioning your machine. Higher hydraulic capabilities come in handy as well.

I have a 485 BH on my 3 Series and it's a good unit.

Reactions: Gizmo2 and OxPath

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd go with the 385 BH if I were you. The longer reach means it's faster and easier to dig to a greater depth without repositioning your machine. Higher hydraulic capabilities come in handy as well.

I have a 485 BH on my 3 Series and it's a good unit.
Thanks for the input. I was leaning toward the 385A for that reason. didn't know if anyone had any issues withe them.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,080 Posts
I agree with Superglidesport, reach is everything, IMO.
If the BH boom has enough power to lift the rear of the tractor and move it side to side, you'll have all the power the tractor can handle.....IMO.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with Superglidesport, reach is everything, IMO.
If the BH boom has enough power to lift the rear of the tractor and move it side to side, you'll have all the power the tractor can handle.....IMO.
Thanks Gizmo. That is what I do with the 46BH on my 2032r. It sure makes it easier to trench and maneuver when you do not have to get off and move.

Reactions: BigJim55 and Gizmo2

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
Thanks Gizmo. That is what I do with the 46BH on my 2032r. It sure makes it easier to trench and maneuver when you do not have to get off and move.
Having used them all, the 375 / 385 is twice the BH of the 46 and the 485 is yet another step beyond in terms of hydraulic capability.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Having used them all, the 375 / 385 is twice the BH of the 46 and the 485 is yet another step beyond in terms of hydraulic capability.
I didn't know the 485 fit the 3 series.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,933 Posts
Tell you what, that 485 don't mess around with cypress knees/roots, had some on the side and in a ditch I was cleaning out,
it flat laid waste to them with the bucket curl.

Had some pecan tree roots in another spot, 2 - 4 inches thick, no problems ripping them out. :good2:

Using 18" HD bucket.

·
Super Moderator
8,191 Posts
I didn't know the 485 fit the 3 series.
It was the latest in the evolution of the 47-48, 447-448 and then 485 backhoes compatible with the 3 Series tractors This was before the 375 / 385 became available. The 485 was initially intended to be used with the 3, 4 & 5 Series tractors.

Reactions: BigJim55 and Gizmo2

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thanks for the input. I was leaning toward the 385A for that reason. didn't know if anyone had any issues withe them.
If you are getting a cab you are limited to the 375A backhoe. The 385A will not work on a cabbed tractor.

Jeff

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the 385a. I wouldn’t want any less on a 3r. I has good power and the valves are smooth. The addition of the rubber stops are a big improvement. The hydraulics are a little slow in my liking. I believe it is designed that way for the average operator who doesn’t have a lot of backhoe experience. The seat is a poor design. Needs to be moved back. All in all it is a work horse.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I have the 385a. I wouldn’t want any less on a 3r. I has good power and the valves are smooth. The addition of the rubber stops are a big improvement. The hydraulics are a little slow in my liking. I believe it is designed that way for the average operator who doesn’t have a lot of backhoe experience. The seat is a poor design. Needs to be moved back. All in all it is a work horse.

How does the seat attach to the frame? A few of us have done a mod on our 46’s that might work for you... I even have a few spare bolts for sale as it happens, take some pictures and let us know!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Personally, I would just look for a used mini-ex (or rent one). It's a very pricey attachment that's rather inefficient for any sort of sizable or confined job. I should know, I had one (46 model on my former 2520).

I know some will say "less maintenance", but keep in mind that I had to rebuild a swing cylinder to the tune of $400 at a shop because it started leaking... And this backhoe might have had all of three hours of actual use on it.

YMMV.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thanks Taser. The rock you have on the hoe is another reason I ordered my 3046r with the 385A.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Personally, I would just look for a used mini-ex (or rent one). It's a very pricey attachment that's rather inefficient for any sort of sizable or confined job. I should know, I had one (46 model on my former 2520).

I know some will say "less maintenance", but keep in mind that I had to rebuild a swing cylinder to the tune of $400 at a shop because it started leaking... And this backhoe might have had all of three hours of actual use on it.

I would tend to agree with you in most cases. But I use my BH extensively here around the farm and doing things for my family. Most of the time the hoe is just kept on the back I use it so much. Trenching, Stumps of plenty, and just plain use for multiple things.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I would definitely not buy a 375A backhoe attachment. My 3rd tractor mounted backhoe, the only good thing about it is the easy on and off the tractor. The operation of the backhoe bounces all over. Complain to dealer and they asked Deere, no solutions came back, dealer tried a smaller orifice to slow down the flow of hydraulic fluid. That did not help. Needless to say unhappy with Deere backhoe 375A.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts