Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering upgrading welders.I have a Millermatic 135, 115volt welder now. Its been a good one,but I am welding thicker metal now,and could use more capacity. I priced the Millers 212 and 252 locally for 1675.00 and 2250.00 respectively. Will the 212 be good enough or should I bite the bullet ,spend the extra 400 or so for the 252? The Hobart ironman 230 is 1600.00 at tractor supply. Is this a good machine? I guess I need some experienced real world input....thanks!
Randy

·
Administrator
18,274 Posts
I have a MM210, which I believe is the same as the current 212 model. It handles 3/8" with ease, and can also do 1/2". 3/8" seems to be most used for tractor type projects...

The Hobarts are made on the same assembly line, but are considered more of a hobbyist machine rather than a commercial duty machine. They have plastic drive components and less ranges, and the gun is cheaper as well IIRC.

·
Premium Member
7,906 Posts
I have the same machine as Kenny, and I agree with his comments. Think of a welder like a tractor and buy a bit more than you think you'll need.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
+3

Same as Kenny and Matt, Millermatic 210 and yup the 212 is the new model of the 210. Darn good machine, you can't go wrong. :good2: And seriously consider the spool gun and dual tanks at the same time. I do half steel and half aluminum projects. Aluminum is a great option to steel.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys for the input. I was thinking the 212 would be sufficient....just needed some reassurance. I hate to spend that much money and then learn the next size up was what I should have bought. Of course, I dont like overspending either. Is there an online source for these at good pricing? From what I've googled, my local dealer is within maybe 50.00 of the online sources....unless I'm missing it. Probably be worth buying local if I have troubles. ( I think I just talked myself out of buying online) Thanks! I'll post pics when I bring it home :D

edit to add....I think I will add the spoolgun. Aluminium welding would be fun to learn....and I have an al. rear rack I'm cutting out for my BMW 1200 . 001.JPG

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...I bought the 212 monday. I installed a new 50 amp 220v plug /wiring last night. Unfortunately, I was only able to weld for a minute or two as my mixed gas bottle was almost empty. But in that short time...wow. I am going to like it a lot!! I'd sell my 135,but it will weld really thin gauge very good,plus its handy if I need to take it on a jobsite. Thanks for the input!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Thanks for the up date, Randy

Now, put that machine to work. What options did you end up getting?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Good Choice.

I have a 135 and a 210. I keep the 135 set for smaller thinner projects. It's also more portable because it's 110 and I can take it anywhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts