Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Brother in North Carolina is purchasing my RD8400 Woods mower like this image snagged from the web. mower.png
The mower specs (roughly): wt: 800#, width: 7'6", length: 5'. We are working on the details of transporting from Iowa to North Carolina and the Uship bids have come in with the lowest about $1,100. That seems outta line given that neither of us is in any kind of a hurry to get it from .A ->-> .B.

I've been kicking around the idea of loading the mower in my truck, meeting him half way and transferring it to his, and that's where I need help.

Central Indiana is midway and I'm looking for a GTT member that has the ability to lift and transfer the mower between trucks. We're thinking about making a weekend trip out of it and move this ourselves. If you can help or would be willing to assist, reply or PM me and we will see where this goes.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
17,982 Posts
I cant help with an Indiana transfer, but regarding uShip just hold out for a lower price bid. When I bought my 455 from TN and needed it shipped, I was getting crazy offers too but ended up settling on $400. You also might want to check Fastenal for quotes, they are really reasonable but would require it be on some type of pallet so they can handle it easier (that would help with any carrier).

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
My Brother in North Carolina is purchasing my RD8400 Woods mower like this image snagged from the web. View attachment 160770
The mower specs (roughly): wt: 800#, width: 7'6", length: 5'. We are working on the details of transporting from Iowa to North Carolina and the Uship bids have come in with the lowest about $1,100. That seems outta line given that neither of us is in any kind of a hurry to get it from .A ->-> .B.

I've been kicking around the idea of loading the mower in my truck, meeting him half way and transferring it to his, and that's where I need help.

Central Indiana is midway and I'm looking for a GTT member that has the ability to lift and transfer the mower between trucks. We're thinking about making a weekend trip out of it and move this ourselves. If you can help or would be willing to assist, reply or PM me and we will see where this goes.

Thanks in advance!
I can help with the lift and transfer. Sounds like fun.

Tim

·
Premium Member
7,709 Posts
If you can not find an Indiana member, I am north (MI) 16 miles from the Indiana toll road. If you want to swing that far north I have a tractor/loader

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cant help with an Indiana transfer, but regarding uShip just hold out for a lower price bid. When I bought my 455 from TN and needed it shipped, I was getting crazy offers too but ended up settling on $400. You also might want to check Fastenal for quotes, they are really reasonable but would require it be on some type of pallet so they can handle it easier (that would help with any carrier).
You nailed it Kenny, he settled on one for about half of the original. I was actually looking forward to a road trip. It's hitting the road this morning.

I'd like to thank the fine members here at GTT that offered to help, that in itself is pretty darn cool!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Wait...WHAT?? Fastenal ships things??????? I thought they were just an excellent source of FASTENers.:dunno:

·
Administrator
20,708 Posts
Yup. They have a great shipping service that is pretty darn competitive if not cheap compared toniest freight outfits. :good2:

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Wait...WHAT?? Fastenal ships things??????? I thought they were just an excellent source of FASTENers.:dunno:
They do, to some areas. They require items to be dropped off and picked up at their store, but not all their stores have freight service. I tried to get a quote to have a 1" drive socket set shipped from Utah, there are two stores in Cheyenne but the lady said they did not offer freight service to them. :unknown:

In the past Greyhound bus lines would carry some freight, but nothing too large to be handled by one person. Not sure if they still do.

·
Administrator
17,982 Posts
Start here: https://www.fastenal.com/en/22/third-party-logistics-(3pl)

Smart business move if you ask me, they already have trucks delivering to stores so why not make better use us them.

Its pretty convenient too because the shipper and shippee can drop off/pick up the item at their leisure (within reason of course, like during regular store hours) and not have to wait all day for a truck to arrive.

·
Administrator
17,982 Posts
You nailed it Kenny, he settled on one for about half of the original. I was actually looking forward to a road trip. It's hitting the road this morning.

I'd like to thank the fine members here at GTT that offered to help, that in itself is pretty darn cool!!
That's great!

What I learned was they (uShip) try to get you to accept the higher bids buy sending you all these emails about what a "fair" price may be to ship your item and how your offer is to low and such...but it you hold out you'll get a good deal.

No surprise really, the higher the settled on price the more uShip makes in fees :gizmo:

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's great!

What I learned was they (uShip) try to get you to accept the higher bids buy sending you all these emails about what a "fair" price may be to ship your item and how your offer is to low and such...but it you hold out you'll get a good deal.

No surprise really, the higher the settled on price the more uShip makes in fees :gizmo:
I didn't realize until talking with the driver that both (shipper and shippee) get dinged for fees. I thought it was like ebay were only the buyer of the service gets charged. Regardless I have found a local guy for the next time.

·
Administrator
17,982 Posts
Regardless I have found a local guy for the next time.
Yup, me too. The guy that delivered my 455 is a retired OTR driver and now does this 3/4 time for himself with an F350 and a 26' or so enclosed trailer. Turns out he lives 5 miles from me and I have his direct contact info for the future. I'll bet these guys make a good deal of money outside of uShip from direct customer contact.

·
Premium Member
7,709 Posts
I didn't realize until talking with the driver that both (shipper and shippee) get dinged for fees. I thought it was like ebay were only the buyer of the service gets charged. Regardless I have found a local guy for the next time.
NOT only the buyer with eBay, seller too . They get a hefty "final value" fee. They used to own PayPal and forced you use PayPal for receiving payment and PayPal has it's own fees on top of eBay's.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Yup. They have a great shipping service that is pretty darn competitive if not cheap compared toniest freight outfits. :good2:
I have been working on a new shipping service which will provide Yesterday service. So you ship it today and you actually receive it YESTERDAY.........I call it "Yesterday Air".......

Had a few kinks straightening out the time machine though. I have put in calls to the Outlander show star but she won't call me back.......:laugh:

Also working on a fax machine where you can send any item and the machine on the other end produces the item out of the machine. But so far, the bandwidth necessary for sending a car seems beyond system capabilities......:lol:

Hey, it doesn't hurt to dream........:unknown::good2::lol:

On a serious note, it is interesting to know that Fastenal ships stuff. It does make sense to maximize the vehicle use.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
7,709 Posts
I have been working on a new shipping service which will provide Yesterday service. So you ship it today and you actually receive it YESTERDAY.........I call it "Yesterday Air".......

Had a few kinks straightening out the time machine though. I have put in calls to the Outlander show star but she won't call me back.......:laugh:

Also working on a fax machine where you can send any item and the machine on the other end produces the item out of the machine. But so far, the bandwidth necessary for sending a car seems beyond system capabilities......:lol:

Hey, it doesn't hurt to dream........:unknown::good2::lol:

On a serious note, it is interesting to know that Fastenal ships stuff. It does make sense to maximize the vehicle use.:bigthumb:
Are sure she did not call you back YESTERDAY! :unknown:

I was really hoping, seems every thing I want is 5 states away, plus with a GTT discount................

1 - 15 of 15 Posts