Green Tractor Talk banner

Installed front & rear cameras on my 4066R

8K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  BalaamsJackass 
#1 ·
This is my first post, but I've been reading GTT since buying my John Deere 4066R cab tractor a year ago. Any time I have a question or problem this is the first place that I look for a solution. I have been thinking about adding cameras to my tractor since buying it. My truck has front, rear, side and bed cameras (2020 GMC 2500HD Denali) which has spoiled me. It also led to me to make the decision to add cameras to my tractor. Well, I planned the system and ordered everything that I would need, and I started the installation this past weekend. I just finished everything except for running the power wire to the front camera. I hope to do that later this week but am using a rechargeable camera battery for now.

Anyway, I thought I would share some of the details and some photos that might help others that are considering installing cameras on their tractor. The system is an Amtifo A8, which is a wireless system that includes a 1080P camera and a 7 inch monitor. As a thank you for my purchase Amtifo offered a free second camera which saved me about $80. For now I am using the cigarette/accessory power adapter that came in the kit to power the monitor and rear camera until I can route the wires into the right console. As mentioned before, I am using a Haloview X1 Smart Battery Pack for Backup Cameras until I can run the power wire to the front camera. I mounted the rear camera just below the window on the cross bar above the top link, and I built a mounting bar that is bolted to the brush guard using the top carriage bolt holes already on the brush guard.

All in all it was an easy installation and I am very pleased with how it turned out. This will make using the FEL as well as connecting and monitoring rear implemimplements a lot easier. Below are pictures of the installed cameras, the images they provide, and the mounting bar I fabricated. Feel free to contact me 8f you have any questions or would like more details.

Robert

See less See more
#3 ·
That is a very nice set up . It's making me think about the rear set up.

#4 ·
Thank you. I am very happy with the the convenience the rear camera has added. Conecting and monitoring the rear implement is much easier. The side mirrors have a limited view, while the camera shows a wider side view plus it shows the center of the implement and the top link. In addition I only have to turn my head just a little to see the back and I can still see the front/front right peripheraly. I need to work on the front camera because it has a little vibration in the image, but I haven't seen any vibration in the image from the rear yet (even with high throttle). I haven't used it while mowing yet, but I'll be testing it out in the next day or so. I schedule mowing times each year so that everything is mowed around July 1. This reduces the possibility of a fire (and the damage if there is one) if someone decides to set off fireworks near our farm, ranch or shop. People set off fireworks near one, two or all three places every year without permission but fortunately we haven't had a fire at any of them yet.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the info. (y)
I've been wanting to add that to mine since I bought it, but haven't decided on which
camera system yet.
I need to quit procrastinating and do it especially for forks and loader bucket operations.

Really like the image quality on the monitor.(y)

Reactions: Gregbkk and Gizmo2
#8 ·
#9 ·
That's a great setup!

Did you have to do anything special with the seller to get the second camera?

Is this the one you bought?

#10 ·
Just an email to them giving my Amazon Order number and the link to the item purchased. The instructions for the unit offered a complimentary gift from a list of four choices (an additional camera, an upgraded window mount for the monitor, an SD card,or a fourth that I can't remember). The instructions said to email Amtifo with the order number, link and which item I wanted.

#11 ·
THANKS for that info!!

#13 ·
Where did you end up wiring your front camera to? I have been doing research all evening to try and find out where a good connection location would be to power on with the switch but no luck. I also have a 4066R with cab. Any help for this non-electrical guy would be much appreciated.

#15 ·
I ended up buying a cheap 8" Amazon FireHD tablet and a camera with a very strong magnetic base. Camera sends its own wi-fi signal to the tablet. Not sure how much I'll use it. Maybe when using the forks. In order to see the cutting edge of the the bucket, it has to be mounted on the top edge of the bucket. That doesn't work so well when you are moving dirt or hay/cow manure and it comes over the top of the bucket. Glad I didn't try to go the wired route.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Green
Product Automotive tire Audio equipment Automotive design Flooring

#20 ·
This is my first post, but I've been reading GTT since buying my John Deere 4066R cab tractor a year ago. Any time I have a question or problem this is the first place that I look for a solution. I have been thinking about adding cameras to my tractor since buying it. My truck has front, rear, side and bed cameras (2020 GMC 2500HD Denali) which has spoiled me. It also led to me to make the decision to add cameras to my tractor. Well, I planned the system and ordered everything that I would need, and I started the installation this past weekend. I just finished everything except for running the power wire to the front camera. I hope to do that later this week but am using a rechargeable camera battery for now.

Anyway, I thought I would share some of the details and some photos that might help others that are considering installing cameras on their tractor. The system is an Amtifo A8, which is a wireless system that includes a 1080P camera and a 7 inch monitor. As a thank you for my purchase Amtifo offered a free second camera which saved me about $80. For now I am using the cigarette/accessory power adapter that came in the kit to power the monitor and rear camera until I can route the wires into the right console. As mentioned before, I am using a Haloview X1 Smart Battery Pack for Backup Cameras until I can run the power wire to the front camera. I mounted the rear camera just below the window on the cross bar above the top link, and I built a mounting bar that is bolted to the brush guard using the top carriage bolt holes already on the brush guard.

All in all it was an easy installation and I am very pleased with how it turned out. This will make using the FEL as well as connecting and monitoring rear implemimplements a lot easier. Below are pictures of the installed cameras, the images they provide, and the mounting bar I fabricated. Feel free to contact me 8f you have any questions or would like more details.

Robert

View attachment 793244

View attachment 793245

View attachment 793246

View attachment 793247

View attachment 793248

View attachment 793249

View attachment 793250

Robert

View attachment 793244

View attachment 793245

View attachment 793246

View attachment 793247

View attachment 793248

View attachment 793249

View attachment 793250
So it's now Feb 2023. How's the system holding up?

#21 ·
I'm sorry that I'm just now responding. This past year has been a very busy one and this past week was the first time I've been back on GTT. My camera system is still running great with no issues. At certain engine speeds the image from the front camera has a slight wave due to engine vibration but nothing bad enough for me to try to better isolate the camera. That might be a future Saturday afternoon project this spring if time permits.
For power, I ran a wire from the front camera through the grill and inside the engine compartment to the firewall, then out under the cab and through a hole in the floor. From there it runs under the floor mat up to the left side of the seat. The wire for power for the rear camera enters a small hole on the lower left of the cab in the rear, and power from the monitor runs down the trim on the right rear pillar and behind the sat. All three wires are then joined to a lighter plug that I plug into the accessory outlet on the left console. I just have to remeber to unplug it when I shut off the tractor so that battery won't run down since that plug isn't a switched circuit. Hopefully I can get some time soon to move the wires to the right console and tap into a switched power source.
I started off mounting the rear camera on the cross bar right above the top link but moved it up to the slow moving sign bracket on the back window. That provides a much better view of the top link, mower, and further behind for backing. The only downside is if I open the back window the 6 inch pigtail from the camera unglugs from the power wire running into the cab. I've also been considering getting the license plate bracket John Deere sells for the 4R cab tractor and using it as a rear camera mount. It has metal brackets that us the bolts for the rear lights to attach to which will raise the camera to roof height and provide a solid metal attaching point that hopefully will eliminate any camera vibration.

#22 ·
I mounted my camera's onto really strong magnets, I also had vibration problems to. so what I did is put a soft rubber buffer between the mag mount and camera mount. jury is still out on the solution, it is better (most of the time)