Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it was raining the other day, thought I would start on my project on the 835M.

Installed the radio accessory kit
Jensen heavy duty 1635BT radio
Rear accessory outlet with switch while I had the part of the dash out

Still have to install the polk rear speakers, trying to decide on whether to take the liner out to cut it or just do it while the liner is installed. Probably will take the liner out so there is less chance of errors.

Will send pictures after install is complete.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Look forward to your photos!

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are so photos after completion. Nothing special, just something I wanted to do.

I would say if anyone is buying a new gator and want a radio in it, I would purchase it with the vehicle if I had to do it over. Lot of work taking the dash apart and cutting out for the 2 speakers in front. Of course I wouldn't of had the rear speakers, so the dash would of needed to be taken apart if I wanted the rear speakers.

Installed a rear electrical outlet on the back of the cab, with the dash apart, I installed a switch to control it.

Rear speakers are Polk Speakers.

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
.....Installed a rear electrical outlet on the back of the cab, with the dash apart, I installed a switch to control it...............
Fantastic idea! This would be great for running a weed sprayer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Here are so photos after completion. Nothing special, just something I wanted to do.

I would say if anyone is buying a new gator and want a radio in it, I would purchase it with the vehicle if I had to do it over. Lot of work taking the dash apart and cutting out for the 2 speakers in front. Of course I wouldn't of had the rear speakers, so the dash would of needed to be taken apart if I wanted the rear speakers.

Installed a rear electrical outlet on the back of the cab, with the dash apart, I installed a switch to control it.

Rear speakers are Polk Speakers.
I was really debating on having the dealership put a radio in my new 835R but with how much they wanted to charge for the radio and installation I didn’t think it was a bargain. I wanted to also put a Pioneer, Kenwood or something on that line in mine and they didn’t have much to offer through them. I’m probably going to regret having to do the install myself from the way it sounds. I would appreciate it if you have some pics of your install during the process and any other tidbits that might be of help. Thanks!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I was really debating on having the dealership put a radio in my new 835R but with how much they wanted to charge for the radio and installation I didn’t think it was a bargain. I wanted to also put a Pioneer, Kenwood or something on that line in mine and they didn’t have much to offer through them. I’m probably going to regret having to do the install myself from the way it sounds. I would appreciate it if you have some pics of your install during the process and any other tidbits that might be of help. Thanks!
Perhaps your dealership will install a stereo of your liking?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Perhaps your dealership will install a stereo of your liking?
It would be good to weigh all my options - Thanks

·
Registered
361 Posts
It would be good to weigh all my options - Thanks
Also check with reputable Automotive Car Stereo Sales and Installation Shops, just a thought

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The radio I used was the Jensen heavy duty 1635BT, it is blue tooth and you can include sat radio also if you buy the attachment. It also comes with a microphone for hands free dialing. Bought the radio on ebay for 197.00 saved probably 50.00+ on the purchase. Received radio in a couple of days.

When I said it was hard, it was hard for a 66 year old doing some of the bending and twisting. Nothing really "hard" to do.

Sorry I don't have pictures of the install.

Some thoughts on the install.

Taking the plastic push pins out of the dash I used 2 small screwdrivers on each side to pull the plastic insert out. (I had also ordered some extra pins from John Deere before just in case I tore some up.
I used the radio wiring harness from John Deere, it included the front speakers, antenna (which is mounted under the dash, I don't think I mounted it in the right spot, picture in the manual wasn't very good.) Wiring harness included all the wires you need to connect the speakers and into the power source. Since the wiring harness did not include the wiring to the rear speakers I had to splice into the harness to run the wires to the rear speakers. Look at the wiring diagram from the radio (downloaded from manufacturer) and you can tell which wires need to be spliced. ( You will have to buy the wire for rear speakers yourself they do not come with the wiring harness from John Deere.

You will need something to cut the holes out for the front speakers, you will be cutting through plastic. Manual said 5 inch hole saw, didn't have one.

Cutting through headliner for rear speakers I just used a utility knife. (after liner removed from vehicle) If you notice my rear speakers are polk round speakers, I should of bought some Jensen rectangle speakers to fit the liner better, but the round ones did work.

While I had part of the dash out I added the utility electrical plug in the back of the cab and switch in the dash. This will be good for using the sprayer later on.

The radio goes in the top space available. I hadn't installed radios before so I didn't know you were supposed to bend the tabs on the metal insert to hold the radio in the dash, but once the tabs were bent, radio was secure.

Radio works great, so I guess I did it right.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The radio I used was the Jensen heavy duty 1635BT, it is blue tooth and you can include sat radio also if you buy the attachment. It also comes with a microphone for hands free dialing. Bought the radio on ebay for 197.00 saved probably 50.00+ on the purchase. Received radio in a couple of days.

When I said it was hard, it was hard for a 66 year old doing some of the bending and twisting. Nothing really "hard" to do.

Sorry I don't have pictures of the install.

Some thoughts on the install.

Taking the plastic push pins out of the dash I used 2 small screwdrivers on each side to pull the plastic insert out. (I had also ordered some extra pins from John Deere before just in case I tore some up.
I used the radio wiring harness from John Deere, it included the front speakers, antenna (which is mounted under the dash, I don't think I mounted it in the right spot, picture in the manual wasn't very good.) Wiring harness included all the wires you need to connect the speakers and into the power source. Since the wiring harness did not include the wiring to the rear speakers I had to splice into the harness to run the wires to the rear speakers. Look at the wiring diagram from the radio (downloaded from manufacturer) and you can tell which wires need to be spliced. ( You will have to buy the wire for rear speakers yourself they do not come with the wiring harness from John Deere.

You will need something to cut the holes out for the front speakers, you will be cutting through plastic. Manual said 5 inch hole saw, didn't have one.

Cutting through headliner for rear speakers I just used a utility knife. (after liner removed from vehicle) If you notice my rear speakers are polk round speakers, I should of bought some Jensen rectangle speakers to fit the liner better, but the round ones did work.

While I had part of the dash out I added the utility electrical plug in the back of the cab and switch in the dash. This will be good for using the sprayer later on.

The radio goes in the top space available. I hadn't installed radios before so I didn't know you were supposed to bend the tabs on the metal insert to hold the radio in the dash, but once the tabs were bent, radio was secure.

Radio works great, so I guess I did it right.
Thanks for posting some useful tidbits. I will be tackling this project as the weather warms up here in Minnesota. I took apart some of the dash before when I installed the horn and I certainly understand what you mean by hard to move around to get to wires ect. I was laying on the floorboards with my feet on the drivers side and my head on the passengers side. I don’t like the idea of cutting holes for speakers but I will probably only put front speakers in and I’ll try the hole saw like you mentioned.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rear speakers make a difference and they were easy to cut with a utility knife. Splicing into the radio wires is easy also if you look at the wiring diagrams from the radio compared to the wiring harness from John Deere (which i used)

·
Registered
123 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts