Green Tractor Talk banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's been a while and I'm finally getting around to posting an update. This has all been a very good learning experience for me and a little frustrating as well. It turns out the starter was bad. I destroyed it by turning it over for longer than I should have because me real issue was simple. It was the fuel pump. Now I have the new starter in, the fuel pump and all of the other new parts I've installed.

My new issue is an alignment issue with the starter and the flywheel. It started right up, but sounded awful so I turned it off right away. When I installed the new starter it did seem that it wouldn't extend far enough to fully engage the gears. It appears to be struggling to disengage after the motor starts running as it continued to clunk even after starting. I'll be taking it back apart to see if I can shim the starter and get better alignment.

I made what would had been an easy job quite a bit of work due to a lack of mechanical understanding.

Thanks again for everyone and all of your help. I've got a couple feet of snow at our cabin ready for this once I get it sorted out!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Eric, I'm not personally familiar with the 318, but I have read posts about HAVING TO shim the starter for proper/quiet engagement... so you can't blame yourself!

Maybe someone can supply more info. Bob

Reactions: EricT

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Eric,

If you still have the original starter you should look for a shop to rebuild it. The factory starters are much more robust than the imported aftermarket replacements, and I have never heard of needing to shim an original either. Those Chinese starters are marginal when new and won't last nearly as long as a rebuilt original either. JMHO...

Shimming is not mentioned at all for the starter in the TM1590 service manual, and is only discussed in the CTM2 engine manual when matching a new solenoid to the starter (these are solenoid-shift style starter motors...) as seen here:
Product Font Engineering Auto part Metal

I have read in other places where the import starters may need shimming to the block for proper fit/reach...but not for OEM units. Eric, did you reuse the solenoid from your last starter, or did the replacement unit come complete?

Chuck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Eric,

If you still have the original starter you should look for a shop to rebuild it. The factory starters re much more robust than the imported aftermarket replacements, and I have never heard of needing to shim an original either. Those Chinese starters are marginal when new and won't last nearly as long as a rebuilt original either. JMHO...

Chuck
I tried to take that route of having it rebuilt but they said something was shot with the magnets. My step dad brought it in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Eric,

If you still have the original starter you should look for a shop to rebuild it. The factory starters are much more robust than the imported aftermarket replacements, and I have never heard of needing to shim an original either. Those Chinese starters are marginal when new and won't last nearly as long as a rebuilt original either. JMHO...

Shimming is not mentioned at all for the starter in the TM1590 service manual, and is only discussed in the CTM2 engine manual when matching a new solenoid to the starter (these are solenoid-shift style starter motors...) as seen here:
View attachment 817652

I have read in other places where the import starters may need shimming to the block for proper fit/reach...but not for OEM units. Eric, did you reuse the solenoid from your last starter, or did the replacement unit come complete?

Chuck
The replacement until came complete. I didn't even note the manufacturer, but it's from Taiwan. I'll take note of that once I get back in there to shim it.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts