Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started installing a curtain drain today to keep water out of the leach field.
My friend and my babycakes!

photo4_1.jpg photo5_1.jpg

Gizmo1 being a big help, yea ok!

photo12_1.jpg photo7_1.jpg

Two Gizmo's in one picture, I'm the one with the hat on!:lol:

photo10_1.jpg photo2_1.jpg

·
Administrator
18,009 Posts
Nice project Keith, those mini-Ex's are sure the ticket for fast and efficient digging!

Can you define "curtain drain" some? I've not heard that term before.

Oh, and I see your qualified for a state/government job they way your handling that shovel:lol::laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess it could be called a French Drain, maybe but never gave it a thought. This one will have drain pipe in the ditch under the stone. The curtain drain will be used to keep ground (underground) water out of the septic leach field area and as you can see the ditch is pretty deep. I guess like a curtain. As you can see Gizmo is helping out playing in the water coming in from the hill. About 4" of water in the ditch in about 2 hours.
Here is a bigger overall picture. The septic leach field is on the lower side of the ditch that starts by the black pipe.

photo15_1.jpg

·
Registered
11,929 Posts
Is your wife running the excavator?

Don

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is your wife running the excavator?

Don
Nope, my friend Jim.
The wife runs the shovel, you can see me holding it out of the water for her while she got Gizmo1 out of the hole. :thumbup1gif::lol:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All Done

Finished at 3PM today.

The big three.......Loading the larger rock into the bucket, thumb came in handy.

photo16_1.jpg photo20_1.jpg

Gizmo1 inspecting water flow..... Done, I'll probably back drag it one more time then grass seed it.

photo23_1.jpg photo27_1.jpg

150 ft of pipe and 17 tons of #1 crushed stone. Long day!

·
Registered
11,929 Posts
It looks as though Gizmo I works harder than Gizmo II. :laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks as though Gizmo I works harder than Gizmo II. :laugh:
I told him to stand there and bark when the water starts coming, never did bark. He does work pretty hard for an older little guy. He's a little stiff tonight, poor guy. Think I'll give him a baby aspirin before bed time.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I can't believe Gizmo1 stays so clean! With all the fur I would have expected him to look like a giant wet brown mop. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I can't believe Gizmo1 stays so clean! With all the fur I would have expected him to look like a giant wet brown mop. :laugh:
Which one is Gizmo1...I get confused, they both have allot of fur.

·
Premium Member
7,749 Posts
Damn nice job Giz. I've always called that type of drain a "French drain."

Those mini-ex's are fun to operate, and I've been doing some work around my place with one of late.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh he does but he has his own hard plastic kiddie pool that he plays in after he gets done with work or when he is too hot. Damnedest dog I have ever seen.

·
Registered
11,929 Posts
I told him to stand there and bark when the water starts coming, never did bark. He does work pretty hard for an older little guy. He's a little stiff tonight, poor guy. Think I'll give him a baby aspirin before bed time.
Gotta take care of the dogs, especially the ones that work as hard as Gizmo I.

I try to take our guy outside when we are working but if a rabbit or squirrel appears he loses concentration on his job and goes hunting.

Don

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Installed the new fence, used the 1600lb hammer with the bucket about half full off crusher run. The crusher run eliminates the bending of the buck, makes the bucket nice and heavy too.

photo30_1.jpg

·
Registered
439 Posts
I just saw this thread last night. So where is your leach field in relation to the curtain drain? Above it or below it? I am having this very problem right now. Too much ground water in my leach filed this this spring.. This looks like a really logical answer to lower the water table around the field! Great job on the project, by the way!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Installed the new fence, used the 1600lb hammer with the bucket about half full off crusher run. The crusher run eliminates the bending of the buck, makes the bucket nice and heavy too.

View attachment 20696
All I see is one post. Where's the rest of the fence?!?!:mocking:

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
All I see is one post. Where's the rest of the fence?!?!:mocking:
Giz doesn't understand that putting a post on the forum isn't the same as putting a post in the ground. He'll figure it out eventually. :lol:

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Gizmo,

I had some issues crop up this spring with my system as well and actually saw one area of the yard remain fairly damp continuously. Had a contractor here to do a couple of deep holes and some perc tests. He dug up the D-boxes and installed a high-overflow cap on the outlet from the first box. Haven't seen the issue recur since. It's been a tough summer with a LOT of extra water from June saturating the ground.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I just saw this thread last night. So where is your leach field in relation to the curtain drain? Above it or below it? I am having this very problem right now. Too much ground water in my leach filed this this spring.. This looks like a really logical answer to lower the water table around the field! Great job on the project, by the way!
Randy,
Last summer we installed two of these bottomless tanks...

IMG_0182_1.jpg

Into these two holes....

IMG_0183_1.jpg

After we covered the tanks. The curtain drain we put in is basically in line with the septic pipe laying on the ground and boy did we hit water about 3.5 feet down.

IMG_0191_1.jpg

Picture after the tanks were installed last summer. Red line is about where the curtain drain is now and the red circle is the old distribution box we had to dig to.

IMG_0193_2.jpg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts