Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into a little rear tire problem today when I had to add air to the left rear tire. When I check the tire for the correct tire PSI, a glob of what I would call "slime" came out of the value stem... meaning someone has filled the tire with this crap like stuff to try and seal a tire leak.
I bought this Ztrak with 37 hours and I would guess the previous owner added this "slime" stuff in the tires.

So, my thought are at present is to install inner tubes...

Question: Has anyone had any difficulties removing the tire from these rims in their own shop/garage? I have a good size tire changer that I have used on installing car/truck tires and have no problems with the tire changer. However, these wide rims from a Ztrak is not a car or truck tire rim.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I ran into a little rear tire problem today when I had to add air to the left rear tire. When I check the tire for the correct tire PSI, a glob of what I would call "slime" came out of the value stem... meaning someone has filled the tire with this crap like stuff to try and seal a tire leak.
I bought this Ztrak with 37 hours and I would guess the previous owner added this "slime" stuff in the tires.

So, my thought are at present is to install inner tubes...

Question: Has anyone had any difficulties removing the tire from these rims in their own shop/garage? I have a good size tire changer that I have used on installing car/truck tires and have no problems with the tire changer. However, these wide rims from a Ztrak is not a car or truck tire rim.
Sometimes lawn equipment tires to small to fit on a regular car tire machine. The one power sports dealer I worked at had a manual changer. Basically a stand attached to the floor for holding the rim.

I would just leave them tires alone unless they are causing you some other problem. That goop is going to be a PITA to remove from the inside of the tire. The steel wheel is usually a little easier. If they are dry rotten just get a new set.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Somepeople install slime as a preventive measure when the tire is installed. If the tires aren't leaking and requiring weekly top ups I would just leave it. The only time I run tubes is when the tires are dry rotted and have lots of small leaks but I don't want to throw it away as it still has lots of tread left. Or if the rim is old and rusty and after cleaning it with a wire wheel and using rim sealer it still has bead leaks I'll consider using a tube.

I prefer not to run tubes because if I do get a puncture I just pop a tire plug into it while still on the machine and carry on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts