Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I bought a low hour x758 and it came with a rear 3 point hitch and PTO, I dont have much use for either, but I will be putting on a rear 48" Plug Aerator.....I am just wondering before it gets delivered in a few days do I need to remove the rear 3 point hitch or has anyone used it with the hitch in place?

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
So you got a tow behind plugger or 3pt hitch mounted one??

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you got a tow behind plugger or 3pt hitch mounted one??
I didn't realize there was a 3 point hitch mounted one....is there? I thought there's only a toe behind option

·
Registered
3,869 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
The 3ph pluggers are no good, they put the tractor in a bind when you turn.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,869 Posts

You don't turn with them,you lift turn and set it back down.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

This is what I'm hearing
So the tow behind it is
Any of you use one?

I ended up ordering
Front thatcher
Rear tow behind 48 core aerator
Tow spreader 175lb
17p cart
Lawn stripe kit

Should be fun lol

·
Registered
167 Posts
This is what I'm hearing
So the tow behind it is
Any of you use one?

I ended up ordering
Front thatcher
Rear tow behind 48 core aerator
Tow spreader 175lb
17p cart
Lawn stripe kit

Should be fun lol
I don't use a plugger anymore, the moles do such a good job that I am forced to roll annually. If not for the moles I'd go with a tow behind.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
To answer the OP question, if you leave the 3 point arms attached, use a drawbar to pull hitch type pull behind accessories. TSC sells them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have this for my X738. It works beautifully. I prefer the three point aerator over the tow behind models. Much more effective. And, with the ability to easily lift it from the seat, you can clear tree roots without damage.

Aerator.jpg

If you must use a tow behind, just hook the draw bar to the tractor. If it's a ball hitch style, I use my 2" receiver adapter on the three point. If it's a pintle hitch, just hook up to the tractor.

FYI, I also have this - makes it really easy to attach pintles to the ball receiver.

Pintle.jpg

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have a few hundred hours of aerating under my belt on an X485. Started with a tow behnd then went with a 3 point hitch model after installing the kit on the tractor. 3 point hitch was the way to go for me - the difference is night and day. If you have 3 point hitch on your tractor you would be well advised to cancel the order and order a model with 3 point hitch.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a few hundred hours of aerating under my belt on an X485. Started with a tow behnd then went with a 3 point hitch model after installing the kit on the tractor. 3 point hitch was the way to go for me - the difference is night and day. If you have 3 point hitch on your tractor you would be well advised to cancel the order and order a model with 3 point hitch.
Ditto as to what "meyerld" said.

Had a tow-behind and now a 3PH model. Won't go back to a tow-behind.

·
Super Moderator
8,043 Posts
A 3 PH mounted aerator is much more convenient than a tow behind. When crossing driveways, sidewalks, avoiding rocks, roots or other lawn obstacles just lift & proceed. When you need to make a turn just lift, turn, then lower.

Any aerator will have a tendency to bind or tear the turf when turning. Even the units with independent individual rotors or rotor gangs have limited turning capabilities regardless of being 3 PH or Tow behind versions.

I've got A Lesco 60" (Manufactured by Classen for JD & Lesco) aerator that has a drawbar and is 3 PH capable. Used it once as a tow behind and that was it. It's been 3 PH mounted ever since.

Aerators – Tow-Behind - Classen

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Sub'd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts