Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed T posts with a 2 series? Tomorrow i am going to try and do so. I'm gonna grab a pounder with the grapple and see if i cant shove them into the ground.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Wait for more rain....your not that far south of me.

This dirt is like a rock.

I've tryed with the mini ex...its just not easy.

What does help....cause they Shear the posts (dirt end is corkscrewed)....Fine tune the dirt end with a angle grinder/airsander..whatever to get a good edge going in dirt.

SINK the SPADE....I popped a front tire on the 955 on one while mowing . I set it too shallow...Spendy Fix.

I'm done...back to abbynormal

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
wont work unless its mud or very wet.......i have used a bale spike on the front of a tractor to make the hole then went back and set the steel post in the hole......if i dont have many to do or corners i do this instead of getting out the post driver or hydraulic hammer

·
Premium Member
12,156 Posts
How many posts do you have to install?

It may be more effective to rent a T-post driver.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How many posts do you have to install?

It may be more effective to rent a T-post driver.
Already set about 40 by hand they were easy cause my neighbor over irrigates and the soil is soft. I'm using 7' posts set 2' into the ground. I have another 1/2 mile of fence at least to replace.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wont work unless its mud or very wet.......i have used a bale spike on the front of a tractor to make the hole then went back and set the steel post in the hole......if i dont have many to do or corners i do this instead of getting out the post driver or hydraulic hammer
Bale spike thats an idea. I was thinking of grabbing a t post pounder in the root grapple then aligning it verticle with a post inside and try and push it into the dirt. Tomorrow i will try amd will post how it works. Its rained for two days and already was wet from over irrigation so should be easy

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried to drive a tee post a week ago with my 4066R bucket and it didn’t work - ground was too hard.
I thought all you guys out there had was loam and rocks. Are you in a heavy soil area then?
To be honest i was surprised at how easy I come pop them in by hand. In the past it has always been a chore to get them in 2 feet. I have a very heavy pounder and the pther day it only took about three four poinds to set them 2 feet:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just depends on how hard your soil is. I usually end up pounding them in by hand. If the ground is even a little hard, I can’t even push them in with the skid loader. Getting them straight is another matter.
Thats what i have done but they went in so easy to my surprise which gave me the idea of using the green thing

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wait for more rain....your not that far south of me.

This dirt is like a rock.

I've tryed with the mini ex...its just not easy.

What does help....cause they Shear the posts (dirt end is corkscrewed)....Fine tune the dirt end with a angle grinder/airsander..whatever to get a good edge going in dirt.

SINK the SPADE....I popped a front tire on the 955 on one while mowing . I set it too shallow...Spendy Fix.

I'm done...back to abbynormal
Chuckle.......I've done dummer stuff than that. Shoot, just the day before yesterday I was working in the rain BH ing a post hole and in a hurry. Well when i got her in and set I realized it was about a foot off the fence line! Grrrrrr....all that wok and set nicely 3.5 feet deep with concrete. I just went to work and dug and set another on the line. The saving grace is the one set out of whack is on a cross fence line which i need to rebuild as well so all was not lost.
Tomorrow i set the last T posts and I will be ready to hang the wire!:greentractorride: Please no more rain. I'm going to take your suggestion on grinding the points cause I have lots more fence to replace and it won't be in a soft area. Got all winter to do it. The one i am doing now is important to keep my neighbor horses sheep goats cattle off my land.
Still have the storm damaged barn to fix.
Hey! did you get blasted by that storm that stranded those people in the train earlier this year? In Douglas county the whole county was withoput power for a week and many rods were blocked with livestock wandering every where.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Chuckle.......I've done dummer stuff than that. Shoot, just the day before yesterday I was working in the rain BH ing a post hole and in a hurry. Well when i got her in and set I realized it was about a foot off the fence line! Grrrrrr....all that wok and set nicely 3.5 feet deep with concrete. I just went to work and dug and set another on the line. The saving grace is the one set out of whack is on a cross fence line which i need to rebuild as well so all was not lost.
Tomorrow i set the last T posts and I will be ready to hang the wire!:greentractorride: Please no more rain. I'm going to take your suggestion on grinding the points cause I have lots more fence to replace and it won't be in a soft area. Got all winter to do it. The one i am doing now is important to keep my neighbor horses sheep goats cattle off my land.
Hey! did you get blasted by that storm that stranded those people in the train earlier this year? In Douglas county the whole county was withoput power for a week and many rods were blocked with livestock wandering every where.

I kinda remember the storm. I'm up on a steep hill facing you/south...We get Blasted when it happens but ain't gonna flood. Some of them posts are horrible and will twist till the spade hits the dirt. Seems like the only time I need to set one is when its dry. A bit of tuning helps. I've even used a cordless drill and an old 1" bit to start a hole. Them post drivers are brutal on the hands. My lands steep /sloped...any moisture and tractor/mini ex are a no go..it turns to slime quick.
Your close to the river iirc and may have actual dirt vs the wannabe rock/clayish garbage up here. there is no such thing as topsoil.

cheers..keep up the fight..your already winning

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

i have sharpend posts before.....set up a chop saw at a angle one cut n done....works great if you have a lot to do

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I kinda remember the storm. I'm up on a steep hill facing you/south...We get Blasted when it happens but ain't gonna flood. Some of them posts are horrible and will twist till the spade hits the dirt. Seems like the only time I need to set one is when its dry. A bit of tuning helps. I've even used a cordless drill and an old 1" bit to start a hole. Them post drivers are brutal on the hands. My lands steep /sloped...any moisture and tractor/mini ex are a no go..it turns to slime quick.
Your close to the river iirc and may have actual dirt vs the wannabe rock/clayish garbage up here. there is no such thing as topsoil.

cheers..keep up the fight..your already winning
I'm off hyway 38 going towards the coast along Elk Creek but I am above the 500 year flood plain, or so they say. Last year it came almost up to that level. Yes, i have dirt much of it good soil and one area on my land is called the carrot patch because it is great for growing carrots and other root crops. One previous owner raised flower bulbs for a living. Me, I grow what God plants. I've raised cattle before and will do again once i have fences. This morning I tried using the underside of my pallet forks to sink T posts and the darn things went in over two feet deep with the slightest touch. I ended just using the pounder and doing them by hand, took maybe four of five whacks to sink them 2 teet into the ground. That was a pleasant surprise. My property does have some slope but most pretty gentle and only a few feet elevation change. I have no really flat ground even were it appears flat.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have sharpend posts before.....set up a chop saw at a angle one cut n done....works great if you have a lot to do
Ive owned property that required pre drilling holes to set T posts but this place is bottom land and had deep soil ovev much of it. Kinda nice. Never thought of using a chop saw i used to just grind them off with a bench grinder.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I even built an attachment that pressed on the T post at the point between the boom and bucket cylinder,,
with the press point moved back, there was much more leverage,,

It would work if there was soil moisture,,
if the soil was too dry, it would turn the T post into the shape of a giant horseshoe,,,:flag_of_truce:

:laugh:

That is a 10,000 pound tractor,,,

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I even built an attachment that pressed on the T post at the point between the boom and bucket cylinder,,

if the soil was too dry, it would turn the T post into the shape of a giant horseshoe,,,:flag_of_truce:

I sure do like that tractor.......Lots of Internationals in the area but all big & tall and NO 4x4.
I 'm gonna keep looking though.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

What does the attachment look like? Yesterday i just used the bottom of a pallat fork and it pushed them in way way to fast. You have to have a delicate touch i learned after the first one. Ended up just using the pounder the T';s went in so easy.
I'm gonna weld up soething to work off the loader. Your saying it works better from the point that attaches to the bucket?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts