Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have pretty much quit lifting (and pulling) with chain.

The chain is heavy, and scratches whatever is lifted.

Probably a decade ago, I mostly switched to rope.
Tie a bowline knot, I am good to go,, the rope I use is FAR stronger than my tractor.

I have not added hooks for fear the hook would cut the rope like a knife.

Until now, I just have been finding a smooth area to tie to.
That is not convenient, but, it has worked.

Today I saw a boat hitch ball used for tying to.,,,, Hmmmmmm,,,,

So, now I am thinking about adding a couple boat balls.

If I add them to my QA adapter plate, they will be there for the forks or bucket,,,

Could there be a better option for rope attachment??

·
Super Moderator
4,845 Posts
I think you over-estimate the possibility of hooks cutting a rope. There are no sharp edges on the KBOHs. But if that's really a concern, why not just bolt on shackles and be done with it? A shackle with work with chains, ropes and/or straps....

·
Administrator
17,122 Posts
I've been migrating to straps for the same reason plus just the weight of the chains is tough for me at times -

How about something like this?

Gunnebo-Johnson Grade 80 Weld-On Anchor Hook w/ 17,600 lb. WLL - 5-1/2"H x 7"L | AW Direct
FYI, I can special order those for anyone that it interested, these "economy" ones would be perfect for any size tractor.

11-AH2.jpg

Economy Weld on Anchor Hooks

These Weld on Anchor Hooks are designed for weldable attachment to equipment to provide a lifting/ pulling point for easy attachment of chain, wire rope or web slings.

See part numbers below:
11-AH2 WLL: 4,400 lbs.
11-AH3 WLL: 6,600 lbs.
11-AH5 WLL: 11,000 lbs.
11-AH8 WLL: 17,600 lbs.
11-AH10 WLL: 22,000 lbs.

·
Premium Member
10,709 Posts
I have pretty much quit lifting (and pulling) with chain.

The chain is heavy, and scratches whatever is lifted.
Same here. Chain has its place when lifting heavy objects but for most things these days I have been using Kenny's straps with oblong rings. They are very strong and they do not mar or damage the finish on the object being lifted.

I also have some of his oblong rings that I use for attaching standard tie-downs to the bucket hooks.

Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks <<Accessories>>

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
if you are concerned about the rope getting cut, just get some oblong rings or some ringslings?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,730 Posts
I think you over-estimate the possibility of hooks cutting a rope. There are no sharp edges on the KBOHs. But if that's really a concern, why not just bolt on shackles and be done with it? A shackle with work with chains, ropes and/or straps....
:thumbup1gif: IMO, You simply CANNOT replace some sort of attachment point on a bucket.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
I've been migrating to straps for the same reason plus just the weight of the chains is tough for me at times -

How about something like this?

Gunnebo-Johnson Grade 80 Weld-On Anchor Hook w/ 17,600 lb. WLL - 5-1/2"H x 7"L | AW Direct

I've had these hooks on my backhoes since I have owned them, love them. I see what Cad plans is saying and it costs him nothing. I like these hooks because they are versatile, nothing is going to slip off because of the spring clip and I do have one at each end of the bucket.. It boils down to each his own, I like my hooks and Cadplans likes his way of attaching.. I do not have the grapple on my bucket because I do a lot of finish work and back dragging so that attachment is out for me.. One question though,, I didn't know boats had [email protected]!!s.. and I grew up on a lake.. :dunno:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,344 Posts
Guess I worked too much oilfield, but ropes worry the heck out of me lifting.

Chain or heavy duty straps.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,344 Posts
The most unnerving thing about this is the way that hook is mounted. Looks like it was "welded" with the back end of a pigeon from 20' away. :laugh:
That is bird do-do if I ever saw it, but the welder was very consistent, not once did he get any
penetration.:lol:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guess I worked too much oilfield, but ropes worry the heck out of me lifting.

Chain or heavy duty straps.
Yea, that is true, but, in my old age,,,
the items I lift are getting lighter,,,
and
the items I lift need the paint to stay nice looking...

The "rope" I use is the braided line that the power company pulls wire up on to poles with.

They can pull over a mile at a time,,, so this is strong stuff.

I pulled a copper propane tube out of the plastic pipe it was buried in,,,
the rope was easily able to stop my 10K pound 4WD IH

I found some clearance items on eBay that are rated at 15K pounds, and cost $9 delivered.
There was not much info, and the pic was horrible, so I will report back once they arrive,,,

My main reason for wanting to use the trailer hitch ball is cantilever forces.
pull on a "D" ring, or a loop anchor at an angle, there is a risk of bending.

I guess I can try a D ring, and get over my concern, they would be easy to replace.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,344 Posts
Yea, that is true, but, in my old age,,,
the items I lift are getting lighter,,,
and
the items I lift need the paint to stay nice looking...

The "rope" I use is the braided line that the power company pulls wire up on to poles with.

They can pull over a mile at a time,,, so this is strong stuff.

I pulled a copper propane tube out of the plastic pipe it was buried in,,,
the rope was easily able to stop my 10K pound 4WD IH

I found some clearance items on eBay that are rated at 15K pounds, and cost $9 delivered.
There was not much info, and the pic was horrible, so I will report back once they arrive,,,

My main reason for wanting to use the trailer hitch ball is cantilever forces.
pull on a "D" ring, or a loop anchor at an angle, there is a risk of bending.

I guess I can try a D ring, and get over my concern, they would be easy to replace.
I guess it's all what you have confidence in.
Have seen many ropes fray, but never have seen 3/8 chain fray.:laugh:
I carry about 20 feet of 3/8" Grade 70 wrapped around the tractor's front bumper (piece of railroad rail I use for a bumper/ weight).
Never know when you'll have to push or pull something.

·
Registered
21,209 Posts
The thing I am seeing is loosing the advantage of being able to use the exact length of chain I need by use of the grab hooks I have on my bucket. An important part of lifting for me is not getting any slip from my strap.

Presently I am using a couple conitnuous 1" lifting straps which I loop through my bucket hooks but that leaves a chance of the strap sliding in the hook.

So I am slowly trying to build an inventory of Ken's RingSlings which work great.

image.jpeg

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Here's some reading for ya.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The thing I am seeing is loosing the advantage of being able to use the exact length of chain I need by use of the grab hooks I have on my bucket. An important part of lifting for me is not getting any slip from my strap.
The US Navy forced me to learn a couple useful knots,,,,:laugh:

these knots give me great control over the length.

I admit,,, a hook on a chain is much easier to learn how to use,,
(NOTE: EVERY time I let a newbie help me hook up a chain,,,
they always want to stick the point of the hook IN the loop of the chain!)

·
Registered
21,209 Posts
Here's some reading for ya.
Thanks for that Randy! I used to teach this stuff as part of my 2 week Gradall classes. Of course I don't have the publication materials anymore so this will be a good reference (which I downloaded and kept).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts