Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You guys are slowly building my shed one day at a time, and I am very appreciative of it!! I didn't realize I would have so many questions otherwise I would have just made one big thread for the entire build.

On to today's problem. My roof trusses are roughly this setup. The peak is about 11'-6" and the bottom chord is a 2x6.

TrussChart_rev.jpg

I am only insulating the garage ceiling (attic floor), and I think I need roughly 15" of blown insulation, but I still need to verify this. I plan to use the taller part of the attic for some light storage for items that are needed once every 3 years. Now my question is, how do I get 15" of insulation in here and still have a usable surface? Currently the best solution I have in mind is 2x10s perpendicular and on top of the bottom cords (similar to the below image). This just seems really excessive. Am I overlooking a simpler solution?

70eb845e0ebf595357dd5044c07b6bcb.jpg

Otherwise there are systems like this. They don't give much info but I think they would be much lighter than a 2x10

91Kh24BqUHL._SL1500_.jpg

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
You guys are slowly building my shed one day at a time, and I am very appreciative of it!! I didn't realize I would have so many questions otherwise I would have just made one big thread for the entire build.

On to today's problem. My roof trusses are roughly this setup. The peak is about 11'-6" and the bottom chord is a 2x6.

View attachment 698564

I am only insulating the garage ceiling (attic floor), and I think I need roughly 15" of blown insulation, but I still need to verify this. I plan to use the taller part of the attic for some light storage for items that are needed once every 3 years. Now my question is, how do I get 15" of insulation in here and still have a usable surface? Currently the best solution I have in mind is 2x10s perpendicular and on top of the bottom cords (similar to the below image). This just seems really excessive. Am I overlooking a simpler solution?

View attachment 698566
My attic is blown in like that, with r-30 fiberglass rolled the opposite way. I have one strip on the walkway if I want to go up there I flop it over then back when I’m done. Shelves hang from the rafters on both sides.

·
Administrator
17,327 Posts
I have pics at home, but when I built my house, I put a false floor in the attic for storage. So basically floor joists strung between the truss verticals then decked with tongue and groove inderlayment.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
I don't know 100 percent but I think I recall that if the attic is going to be floored you have to use a batt type insulation underneath, no blown insulation. I think it has to do with replacement. The batt type would be easier than blown if covered. Someone may know for sure. Just throwing that out there. Again I don't know know for sure:bigthumb:

·
Administrator
17,327 Posts
I don't know 100 percent but I think I recall that if the attic is going to be floored you have to use a batt type insulation underneath, no blown insulation. I think it has to do with replacement. The batt type would be easier than blown if covered. Someone may know for sure. Just throwing that out there. Again I don't know know for sure:bigthumb:
My attic has a blown in insulation, that may be a local code thing but mine passed fine.

·
Registered
859 Posts
remember the bottom cord of those trusses are tension members .....not load bearing members and allready have a ceiling hung on them...

personally i would tell the truss supplier what you want to do and ask them the best places to load the truss...including the ceiling assembly....and seek their guidance as to support locations....most should be quick and forthcomming as to their recommendations

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
remember the bottom cord of those trusses are tension members .....not load bearing members and allready have a ceiling hung on them...
I almost put something in the original post regarding this, but then I remembered how much everyone here loves discussing trusses. :hornets:

Thanks for the concern. Floor loads have been accounted for.

My attic is blown in like that, with r-30 fiberglass rolled the opposite way. I have one strip on the walkway if I want to go up there I flop it over then back when I’m done. Shelves hang from the rafters on both sides.
Interesting. It is definitely a solution that works, but I am leaning more towards a one and done approach.

I have pics at home
If you can find and post a pic that would be great!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
You can look in my garage build thread but they put the wood floor right on the trusses. I went with storage trusses but they will do batt insulation under it and put the drywall up afterward.

You did say this is shed right? If so you don't have to have 15" of blown insulation. In our case we have part of the build technically living space as it is a mud/laundry room. That has to have the thick insulation so it would be tough to make it usable space unless we went with an elevated floor like what you are looking at.

I also agree that you probably want to stick to batt insulation under the floor and not blown.

Those trusses are the same design that I have.

I thought I had a shot of the floor but I guess I never uploaded it. Here are some of my trusses. I have roughly a 10.5' peak from the floor. They plywood floor is 3/4" (I think) tongue and groove.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Here is a shot with the floor. It is an older shot from before they completed it. Of course it is probably sideways. 20190605_184623_1565051467988.jpg

·
Registered
859 Posts
I almost put something in the original post regarding this, but then I remembered how much everyone here loves discussing trusses. :hornets:

Thanks for the concern. Floor loads have been accounted for.

Interesting. It is definitely a solution that works, but I am leaning more towards a one and done approach.

If you can find and post a pic that would be great!

love the :hornets: emoji i hadnt seen that before :lolol::thumbup1gif:

what your proposing with the 2x10s is exactly what i did in mine for a center walkway ...i had 16" of insulation 2-8" batts.......i dont store anything up there but it is nice to be able to push back batts if i need to do some work IE wiring etc

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
I have pics at home, but when I built my house, I put a false floor in the attic for storage. So basically floor joists strung between the truss verticals then decked with tongue and groove inderlayment.
This is the way I did the floor in the attic of my shop, when I built it 28 years ago.

·
Registered
101 Posts
A garage I wired a couple of years ago had trusses similar to yours- built for having storage.

He had the sloped section of the trusses spray foamed to meet the required r value

Not cheap but a solution

·
Administrator
17,327 Posts
These pics make sense to me, but that my not for your. The platform is built above the HVAC return trunk, so when you go up the attic stairs, there is a small platform where the unit lives, then I built two steps up to the storage area, it's 4' x 16' or so. We use this for seasonal stuff like Christmas, Easter, ect decorations, and some kids stuff.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts