Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...

Winter coming to Texas eventually, anyone seen anything other than a hot water heater blanket I can cover this huge water filter with. Moving here and the way they build these homes they installed it outside. Last thing I need is it freezing up. It seems to have good protection under the home's roof over hang. But it needs a cover. Any ideas?
IMG_0305.JPG
IMG_0306.JPG

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
You could build a wooden box around it, and line that with styrofoam. Make sure you have a hinged access panel, that has the styrofoam on it, but that it is cut so the panel opens when needed.

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Did you say that's a new home? I would doubt that installing even part of a water softener outside would be against code for obvious freezing issues. I'd call you local building codes and find out if it's even legit to have it outside.

If it is, then I would wrap it with thermostatically controlled heat tape and insulate it.

·
Premium Member
7,203 Posts
I think a combination of Farmgirl's and Dieselshadow's ideas would be your best bet. I assume the house is slab on grade.

Geez; the original owner could have gone to McMaster-Carr www.mcmaster.com and got pre-made insulation elbows to do a neater job. They also have tees.

·
Registered
716 Posts
If you can make the box tight enough to the house, leave the house side open and insulate the other sides well, you would likely keep the enclosure above freezing with the heat loss through the house wall. I am baffled by that installation if you live in a climate that sees temperatures below freezing.

Lee

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know, never wondered about the HOA here saying anything, because of the bushes in front of it you really cannot see it. However, funny the plumber missed the fact that in a closet against that wall is the main access panel for the water coming in and could have put it there.

Oh well.

Thanks for the ideas, I think I will do a combo deal on it. I want zero issues with it...

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
The real test is.....

.....can you piss anywhere on your property and not have the neighbors call the cops? :mocking:

You laugh, but that is my mantra. I'm from Alaska and I'm a man. The world is my bathroom. :lol:

·
8,558 Posts
The real test is.....

.....can you piss anywhere on your property and not have the neighbors call the cops? :mocking:

You laugh, but that is my mantra. I'm from Alaska and I'm a man. The world is my bathroom. :lol:
Where I am, even the girls can do that! No HOA here. Of course, have one neighbor that wants to use binovulars and then call the sheriff when I do the nekkid rain dance. :unknown:

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Where I am, even the girls can do that! No HOA here. Of course, have one neighbor that wants to use binovulars and then call the sheriff when I do the nekkid rain dance. :unknown:

He is calling the wrong people. He should be calling all his friends to come over for a party and he is providing the entertainment. Or does he have any friends?????

Dave

·
8,558 Posts
He is calling the wrong people. He should be calling all his friends to come over for a party and he is providing the entertainment. Or does he have any friends?????

Dave
I don't think he has friends. He's sort of a PITA!

·
8,558 Posts
Can I come and watch? :fed::good2::drinks:
I thought I had posted pics of me doing the nekkid rain dance, or maybe they were of me running through the rain nekkid. Hmmmm. I'll have to find some of those pics, and post them in the "Rain" thread.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Was not going to cover it, I want to have it moved inside this spring, glad I did just in case, we had 4 inches of sleet. Pours off the house near it :) Also going to be below 10 degrees here. I was expecting a warm winter here.
Will be moving this inside next year.
IMG_0331.JPG
IMG_0332.JPG
IMG_0333.JPG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts