Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an 825i. I'm trying to figure out the best way to insure my gator. My insurance agent seems clueless. They are trying to insure it in the same category as a motorcycle or atv, which leads to much higher rates than insuring it as a utility vehicle. They don't seem to understand the concept. I'm trying to explain to them that a motorcycle and atv are designed to be used solely for recreation in somewhat inherently dangerous activities, whereas a utility vehicle is designed for work related purposes. Does anyone have any insight or other knowledge that they can share with me on how they insured their UTV, the coverage and the costs?

-Mark

·
Premium Member
7,511 Posts
I have a Kawasaki Mule. For FAIR week my daughter takes it the Fair. We have to pay a fee for it to be at the Fair and the Fair requires liability insurance. Since it's off my property I had to get special coverage. It cost about $60 for the year. Liability only. No theft,comp, or collision.

·
Super Moderator
4,890 Posts
Just did a quick review of VT laws and it looks like they don't make any distinction between ATVs and UTVs. In fact, it looks like their definition includes golf carts too.

·
Premium Member
14,131 Posts
I have Erie Ins and they wrote me a underwriter policy for both the Gator and tractor fel, bh, and attachments. Pd the premium about 10 mos ago and thinking it was around $200 < > $50.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Just bought an 825i. I'm trying to figure out the best way to insure my gator. My insurance agent seems clueless. They are trying to insure it in the same category as a motorcycle or atv, which leads to much higher rates than insuring it as a utility vehicle. They don't seem to understand the concept. I'm trying to explain to them that a motorcycle and atv are designed to be used solely for recreation in somewhat inherently dangerous activities, whereas a utility vehicle is designed for work related purposes. Does anyone have any insight or other knowledge that they can share with me on how they insured their UTV, the coverage and the costs?

-Mark
Tell your agent to check into "Inland Marine Coverage". Yes, I know this has nothing to do with a boat, but this is a broad category used to cover just this type of item. It is often used on construction equipment, tools and a wide variety of items.

This definition should point him / her in the right direction. If they don't know what an Inland Marine policy is, then I suggest getting a different agent.

Look up Inland Marine Insurance in Wikipedia. It explains how the coverage works and why it is called such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_marine_insurance

Hope this helps.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Tell your agent to check into "Inland Marine Coverage". Yes, I know this has nothing to do with a boat, but this is a broad category used to cover just this type of item. It is often used on construction equipment, tools and a wide variety of items.

This definition should point him / her in the right direction. If they don't know what an Inland Marine policy is, then I suggest getting a different agent.

Look up Inland Marine Insurance in Wikipedia. It explains how the coverage works and why it is called such.

Inland marine insurance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope this helps.:thumbup1gif:
My 2032r is on an Inland Marine Policy. I wanted to make sure it was covered when using it off my property and the financing required it to be insured as well. JD offers insurance with the financing, but the Inland Marine policy has better coverage for almost the same cost. My particular policy does not allow commercial use, but I don't do commercial work with my tractor.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
My 2032r is on an Inland Marine Policy. I wanted to make sure it was covered when using it off my property and the financing required it to be insured as well. JD offers insurance with the financing, but the Inland Marine policy has better coverage for almost the same cost. My particular policy does not allow commercial use, but I don't do commercial work with my tractor.
I have found that a good agent and clarification of precisely what we are trying to insure as well as how we use the items and there doesn't seem to be anything which I have not been able to cover.

I even had an inland marine policy which covered the entire contents of my drag racing trailer, which was well over $100k in replacement costs. They would even provide some coverage on the race car itself, but once it hit the track, all bets were mine and not theirs, which was fine with me.

This is precisely why a good knowledgable agent is worth their cost of involvment in my insurance transactions......You could never accomplish this in a "do it yourself online" arrangement.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Old post... However my agent wrote our policy as a street legal utility vehicle. Comp. / Collision/ 25k med/ 500.00 deduct.
For 38.00 per month.

Sent from my iPhone using my index finger

1 - 10 of 10 Posts