Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for us to leave State Farm. We have homeowners, auto, life, some supplemental plans, etc... Where should we look? I'm planning on looking at what we need overall, so I need an agent that can work with us. Which of the bigger carriers should we look at, or should we go with an independent?

I realize that this is a pretty open question. I'm really just looking for good experiences with companies other than SF.

·
Corndog Hater
11,685 Posts
We just switched from Travelers to Allstate for our home, auto and RV. Luckily, I haven't had to deal with anyone other than our agent as we haven't had a.......not gonna say it.:lol:

We saved several hundred dollars per year by switching. Good Luck

·
Registered
12,289 Posts
We just switched from Travelers to Allstate for our home, auto and RV. Luckily, I haven't had to deal with anyone other than our agent as we haven't had a.......not gonna say it.:lol:

We saved several hundred dollars per year by switching. Good Luck
huh-here in pa., travelers ins. is way cheaper than allstate.

It's time for us to leave State Farm. We have homeowners, auto, life, some supplemental plans, etc... Where should we look? I'm planning on looking at what we need overall, so I need an agent that can work with us. Which of the bigger carriers should we look at, or should we go with an independent?

I realize that this is a pretty open question. I'm really just looking for good experiences with companies other than SF.
i have been with nationwide since 1976, just afraid to switch, yrs ago we got a quote from travelers, and i about fell on the floor because how much cheaper they was over nationwide. didn't switch as i believe the agent wasn't putting all of the same coverage on his policy as we had at the time. still have nationwide for everything, even life ins. good luck bubber. what made u mad at state farm, if i may ask?

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Call me synical....

We were with Allstate 20+ years, got all good driver discounts, had home owners, extra liability, and we're pretty happy. Last year did a comparison with State Farm and found them to about $400 less per year on auto with the same coverages so switched.

Here's my synical rant: I think over time insurance companies gradually raise rates on "good" customers because they (the customers) become comfortable, confident, and it's too much hassle to keep an eye on competitive rates/services. The "good" customers become cash cows to be milked. So in the future I plan to test rates periodically ....unless I become too comfortable, confident, and lazy to check around.

There I feel better.:doorclose:

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I agree that any of them seem to continually increase their rates hoping you will not notice the increase and maybe think it is just a normal increase. It pays to shop around. I had a particular company for years that began when I was still working. We were supposed to be getting a discount. A few years ago, I decided to shop around and found another company that was half the price, so changed. Now they have went up also, so I changed again earlier this year.

Dave

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what made u mad at state farm, if i may ask?
We got a letter from our agent stating that our auto was going to be cancelled due to our youngest son not being listed as a driver on one of our vehicles. All household members must be listed on at least one vehicle as a driver. Thing is that our son doesn't live at home. In fact, he has his own auto and renters insurance through our agent. When pressed on the issue, our agent claimed that he had no way to know that our son had moved out, even though he did his renters insurance.

We received a letter that stated "for our convenience" they would be removing our fixed deductible on our home policy and replacing it with a percentage of repair deductible with no cap. This would save us almost $40 per year on our premium! We had to call to opt-out of this change, if we did not, it would take affect automatically. Remember, if we make a claim, we lose our no-claim discount, so we have incentive to not make claims in the first place.

I could go on and on.

·
Registered
11,884 Posts
We have had Nationwide since 1988. I had never had vehicle insurance in my own name. Vehicles were insured through the business name. No one would write a policy for me, except Nationwide. I will stay with them until the agent retires or I start taking care of the grass from the underside. Loyalty is very important to me and for that reason I will stay. When she retires, I will look to USAA.

While we're talking about insurance, make sure to notify your agent when your tractor is paid off so that Deere is no longer listed as a loss payable.

·
Registered
22,658 Posts
I've had Erie Insurance for 25+ years now for everything. Every once in a while I shop the price but nobody can come even close to what I am paying. Actually it's quite amazing how low my auto rates are. Also I am "grandfathered" in on their old program - once you are a customer for 15 years you never pay a surcharge for an at-fault accident ever again. That program went away years ago.

Just for example, for my 2009 F-150 FX4 I pay more for the comprehensive insurance than I do the collision (both $500 deductible).

But what a lot of people don't look at is the "service after the sale" so to speak - you can't shop for insurance on price alone. In those 25 years we've had 2 major auto claims and a couple comprehensive (deer hits). Everything was handled quickly and professionally. My most recent claim when I had $9800 damage to my old pickup - the other driver at fault but his insurance tried to put 33% of the fault on me. I just turned it over to my insurance - they fixed my truck right away and fought with the other insurance on my behalf. All came out perfectly in the end plus got reimbursed for a 4WD rental.

Insurance is only as good as how it is at claim time.

·
Premium Member
14,714 Posts
Had State Farm for over 25 yrs, seemed like a price increase every 6 mo to a year. Switched to AARP The Hartford Auto and MetLife home oh and I thought Sate Farm was bad for rate increases. When I switched saved about $400 a year between the 2 compainies, at the end was paying about about $1500.00 more a year.

Switched to Erie about 4-5 yrs ago,and SAVED Right at $1300-1500.00 a year. Have been paying within pennies of what I was paying at the beginning. Car insurance went down close to $75.00 a year when we bought the new Subie, and home owners policy has raised maybe $20 over the past 4-5 yrs.
Oh and I have a $35000 rider for Deere and Honda Pioneer. Well forgot Erie is now putting those items on Home owners policy instead of having a rider policy.

We hit a deer months after going to Erie and I thought OH BOY rate increase NOPE.

Which I had found them years ago.

·
Registered
22,658 Posts
We hit a deer months after going to Erie and I thought OH BOY rate increase NOPE.

Which I had found them years ago.
I think I've had a total of 3 deer claims over the years. No rate increase and no deductible (co-pay) at all.

·
Corndog Hater
11,685 Posts
Here's my synical rant: I think over time insurance companies gradually raise rates on "good" customers because they (the customers) become comfortable, confident, and it's too much hassle to keep an eye on competitive rates/services. The "good" customers become cash cows to be milked. So in the future I plan to test rates periodically ....unless I become too comfortable, confident, and lazy to check around.
I agree that any of them seem to continually increase their rates hoping you will not notice the increase and maybe think it is just a normal increase. It pays to shop around. I had a particular company for years that began when I was still working. We were supposed to be getting a discount. A few years ago, I decided to shop around and found another company that was half the price, so changed. Now they have went up also, so I changed again earlier this year.

Dave

I agree completely. And, this is not the first time we have been insured by Allstate.

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
Allstate sucks! They raised my auto insurance for three years when I did $1500.00 damage to another car. I had no claims for 25 years until this. After 3 years they dropped the premium only slightly and then raised it for several years after that, accident forgiveness my as$. I got an invite thru Costco for Ameriprise insurance and the quote was $500.00 a year less for the same coverage. See ya Allstate clowns! Allstate dropped my homeowners because I live in a forested area with the risk of fires (that is why I have insurance duhh!) so I got a policy from Foremost insurance that was $400.00 a year cheaper for the same coverage. See ya Allstate clowns! It does pay to shop around sometimes.:lol:

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,679 Posts
We have had Nationwide since 1988. I had never had vehicle insurance in my own name. Vehicles were insured through the business name. No one would write a policy for me, except Nationwide. I will stay with them until the agent retires or I start taking care of the grass from the underside. Loyalty is very important to me and for that reason I will stay. When she retires, I will look to USAA.

While we're talking about insurance, make sure to notify your agent when your tractor is paid off so that Deere is no longer listed as a loss payable.
We currently have usaa and were shopping around. Rates were great at first, but there have been annual increases after the first few years. No claims...

·
Registered
27 Posts
We got a letter from our agent stating that our auto was going to be cancelled due to our youngest son not being listed as a driver on one of our vehicles. All household members must be listed on at least one vehicle as a driver. Thing is that our son doesn't live at home. In fact, he has his own auto and renters insurance through our agent. When pressed on the issue, our agent claimed that he had no way to know that our son had moved out, even though he did his renters insurance.

We received a letter that stated "for our convenience" they would be removing our fixed deductible on our home policy and replacing it with a percentage of repair deductible with no cap. This would save us almost $40 per year on our premium! We had to call to opt-out of this change, if we did not, it would take affect automatically. Remember, if we make a claim, we lose our no-claim discount, so we have incentive to not make claims in the first place.

I could go on and on.
State Farm is a good insurance company. Maybe you should change your agent instead of insurance company.

·
Registered
12,289 Posts

I could go on and on.
sorry to hear of this, i would be upset also. now i just read the last post, and maybe u could change ur agent to another one. here where i live, u are SUPPOSED to stay with the agent in ur area--at least that's what i was told when we moved from one county to the other yrs ago. but since then i have talked to several people who disliked our agent, and went with other area agent's. i don't know how state farm is about that in ur state-oh. FIL had state farm too, and i thought his ins was a lot cheaper than mine, but as the yrs passed i just didn't want to change, i've had a few deer claims, and my first new pickup--served to miss a bunch of deer and ran over a telephone pole-:banghead: yeah-what a ride-had to wait in the truck till light co. came out to let me out, a long time ago for that.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I don't have time to get into the horror story I have with Allsnakes, but just pray you don't need them to pay for something - that's all I'll say.

State Farm has been good for us. We've had several claims (homeowners), and rates aren't going up on anything more than a few bucks for value changes on vehicles. My tractor is covered under homeowners, my cargo container is too, and my whole woods is under our umbrella until I put a permanent building on it (then it'll need it's own policy). As it stands, it's just like part of the yard in the metro. We also have the lowest deductibles you can get, and aren't even offered to new customers anymore.

That said, I've had trouble getting good quotes for business policies out of my agent, but I happen to have a buddy who's an independent and he's hooked me up with some good options with some of his companies. Keeping things in different offices from work and home (perspective) is also beneficial because if one goes south, I'm not in jeopardy of screwing up the other's rates.

Sounds like Bubber's agent is fishing for a new premium commission. They get 75% of the first years premiums on new policies, and after that it's more like 10% as a residual as long as you keep the policy. If you cancel or don't pay the full first year, the agent takes the hit as a charge back.

·
Registered
12,289 Posts
I don't have time to get into the horror story I have with Allsnakes, but just pray you don't need them to pay for something - that's all I'll say.

State Farm has been good for us. We've had several claims (homeowners), and rates aren't going up on anything more than a few bucks for value changes on vehicles. My tractor is covered under homeowners, my cargo container is too, and my whole woods is under our umbrella until I put a permanent building on it (then it'll need it's own policy). As it stands, it's just like part of the yard in the metro. We also have the lowest deductibles you can get, and aren't even offered to new customers anymore.

That said, I've had trouble getting good quotes for business policies out of my agent, but I happen to have a buddy who's an independent and he's hooked me up with some good options with some of his companies. Keeping things in different offices from work and home (perspective) is also beneficial because if one goes south, I'm not in jeopardy of screwing up the other's rates.

Sounds like Bubber's agent is fishing for a new premium commission. They get 75% of the first years premiums on new policies, and after that it's more like 10% as a residual as long as you keep the policy. If you cancel or don't pay the full first year, the agent takes the hit as a charge back.
the couple times i checked with state farm to switch, they wanted or said i had to be put under as blank something(can't think of word i want to say) for the first yr, no matter how good of a record we had, so the premium was gonna be sky high, after the first yr if all was well, it would then drop below what i was paying at nationwide. i just never jumped ship ever. each time we've hit a deer i paid 0, and our car, truck was fixed each time, now they tried to get me to drop full coverage several times over the yrs, as our cars got older, but i never did, cause hitting a deer can tear stuff good, and for around a couple hundred a yr, they had to put it back together.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I have full coverage for 2 reasons = crazy people, and I need a working vehicle. We have a lot of foreigners (you probably see on the news that we're a hot bed of Somali terrorist recruiting :banghead: ) who drive like they've never seen pavement or another car on the road. I need insurance against them.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts