Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I don't watch many TV shows but it's usually on as background white noise. I noticed several years ago that the insurance companies really ramped up TV advertising....kind of reminded me of the TV advertising during the long distance telephone company wars during the 1980's. I assumed the insurance TV commercials would fade away but there's simply no end. And, the themes are increasingly goofy.

I suppose insurance is an exceptionally lucrative business that's attracted a lot of competition....but these nutty commercials make it easy to power off the TV.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
You got that right.

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
I used to like the geico ones, until progressive came along with flo, now liberty has a good one where their standing bawling about their new car all smashed up cause they didn't take any gap ins. out on it, and it got totaled and they won't completely pay it off. I've heard flo and progressive spent the most money advertising out their.

·
Premium Member
14,738 Posts
I used to like the geico ones, until progressive came along with flo, now liberty has a good one where their standing bawling about their new car all smashed up cause they didn't take any gap ins. out on it, and it got totaled and they won't completely pay it off. I've heard flo and progressive spent the most money advertising out their.
Just remember , all the commercials mean one thing, HIGHER rates. Doesn't matter home or auto, check the smaller companies get the ones with good ratings and you can same your self a LOT of money. At least I was able to have had one claim and no questions asked and no higher rate.:munch::dunno:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Hiya,

It started with Esurance and AFLAC. Both of those agencies were leaders in Internet insurance and now companies need to keep their name in the minds of customers when they go online for insurance.

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
I wonder what's really going on with these insurance companies. I took out Allstate insurance when I bought my house, in 1972 and also covered all of my vehicles. A couple years ago, some gal from Allstate came out, took pictures of the house...got a letter a few weeks later, saying that if I didn't trim my trees and replace my roof they were going to drop me...after 40 or so years! I told them that if that's the way they treat their customers, they could stick it where the sun doesn't shine. Went with an independent agent; got more coverage, cheaper.

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
I wonder what's really going on with these insurance companies. I took out Allstate insurance when I bought my house, in 1972 and also covered all of my vehicles. A couple years ago, some gal from Allstate came out, took pictures of the house...got a letter a few weeks later, saying that if I didn't trim my trees and replace my roof they were going to drop me...after 40 or so years! I told them that if that's the way they treat their customers, they could stick it where the sun doesn't shine. Went with an independent agent; got more coverage, cheaper.
2lanecruzer; nationwide did that sort of thing maybe 20 some yrs ago, checking every ones homes for safety things that hadn't been looked at in say yrs. and yes they took pics too. my family on my dads side has been with nationwide since the 40's. me-I've been with them since 1976-too long, but kinda scarced to change over.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Allstate= A-holes and crooks. Same experience here. That company has as much integrity as a dog in heat. My story is worse than yours but I haven't taken my blood pressure meds yet so I can't get into it yet. Did I say they were A-holes?:banghead:

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
Allstate= A-holes and crooks. Same experience here. That company has as much integrity as a dog in heat. My story is worse than yours but I haven't taken my blood pressure meds yet so I can't get into it yet. Did I say they were A-holes?:banghead:
When they were owned by Sears, they were a good company. I think they have been independent for about 20 years and have evolved into something else.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,499 Posts
Insurance commercials drive me absolutely nuts. They are trying to sell benefits/coverage that was already part of policies years ago, they took the benefits/coverage away, left the cost the same and now want more $$ for the so called "added" coverage put back in. :banghead:
Sort of like Health Care policies.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Auto-Hop takes care of half of my commercials,,, :thumbup1gif:
Fast Forward takes care of the other half,,,,:yahoo:

Sorry,,, I have never seen more than 1 second of an insurance commercial,,, :dunno:

Well, that is incorrect,,, I do watch commercials during the Superbowl,,, :bigthumb:

·
Registered
22,741 Posts
Just remember , all the commercials mean one thing, HIGHER rates. Doesn't matter home or auto, check the smaller companies get the ones with good ratings and you can same your self a LOT of money. At least I was able to have had one claim and no questions asked and no higher rate.:munch::dunno:
This is why I am glad I never see a commercial for my insurance company. All those super expensive TV ads are paid through customer rates.

Once every couple years I try the other on-line quotes for the fun of it - none of them can come anywhere near what I am paying now. Plus being with them for 20+ years I have lifetime accident forgiveness.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I used to like the geico ones, until progressive came along with flo,

One has to admit that Flo is probably one wealthy,UGLY woman. I'd like to why when a young child is playing in floor in front of TV with toys when a commercial comes child immediately stops playing & watches commercials. I hate commercials and utilize the mute or fast forward buttons

·
Premium Member
8,846 Posts
The absolute worst for commercials resulting in rising product costs are the Prescription Drug commercials. Statistically the pharmacy companies have increased their drug costs at an alarming rate not to mention all of the "Ask your doctor about......" commercials.

I have wondered how effective their commercials have been so I researched it. About 18% of people now mention specific drugs which they have seen advertised to their physicians. It seems quite obvious to me that the moment I need to suggest my doctor consider a medicine for my treatment, which I have seen advertised, I likely have the wrong doctor.

The online insurance push is what has led to the increase in their media advertising. Sadly, a measurable percentage of people who purchase their coverage through the internet and work without any involvement of an agent often make mistakes in their coverage selections which can leave them very exposed and in the end, easily wipe out the savings they "think" they achieved.

Now that most of you have seen GEICO insurance commercials for years, do you actually know (WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP ONLINE) what GEICO stands for and where the company came from? I can give you a hint and tell you that is has long been a core holding of Warren Buffet and Berkshire Hathaway, but even he wouldn't have qualified to be a customer of the company during it's early years.......

:unknown::hide:

·
Administrator
20,718 Posts
GEICO = Government Employee Insurance Company.

·
Registered
11,917 Posts
Doggone it. If I didn't have to answer a PM, I would have been the first to answer.:laugh:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts