Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question, but I'll splain the situation in case it helps someone else down the road.

We have a mobile home in a campground (FISHIN CAMP). Own the trailer , rent the "spot". I have insurance on the trailer with coverage for "personal effects" @ 10K.
We have 9 acres 1 mile from the Camp that we'll be retiring to. We currently live 200 mile from these properties.

I have a lot of work to do at the future homestead and would like to leave the tractor at the Camp rather than trailer it back and forth.
I have a 12x26 boat shed, full sides, open ends, that I'd keep the tractor under.

I called my insurance company to ask if the tractor would be covered in the event a 125' pine fell on the shed and crushed it, or someone decided they wanted my tractor more than me.
They said it would be covered up to the 10k personal effects, however, it would have to be used primarily for use on the property the trailer sits on.
So, it ain't gonna be covered.

My current homeowners only covers it while it's "home".

Looks like I'll have to source a separate policy solely on the tractor, or takes my chances.

What insurance company and what does anyone here pay for a separate policy on just your tractor.
Specifically a 2014 1025R.

Thank you

I'll be calling a couple companies tomorrow and will report back what the damage would be.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Rider

You may be able to purchase a rider that would specifically cover your tractor. It's definitely an agent question and make sure to give full disclosure. For example, if you can lock your location, it may be different than having an open shed. You might tell the agent it will be in a shed and the agent thinks, "lockable construction" like a garage. You are thinking, "I told him/her it was a shed".

Why do I say give full disclosure? Because if you don't and have a claim, the claim may be denied due to a uninsurable condition. Then you've paid premium for nothing. Better to have an agent tell you upfront whether they can offer coverage or not based on your circumstances.

You'll want to check and see if it's covered while trailering as well. Almost certainly your current auto insurance does not cover your tractor while trailering. It likely will cover liability but if the tractor falls off the trailer and is in pieces in the middle of the road, it's your tractor. :banghead:

Before you call your agent(s), write down everything you think is relevant and have it ready for use during the discussion. I would recommend at least touching base with companies that insure a lot of farm equipment. They may or may not be able to help you but at least "tractor" isn't a foreign term to them.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
..we use a farm policy .....and set the equipment total claimable amount...IE the insurance company will not pay more than 250k loss .......doesnt matter where the equipment is at....i dont even tell them what equipment they are covering (no listing) but i do keep full records of cost ..serial numbers...pictures..maintence records ...etc

...used to have a construction company policy that worked the same way......X$ equipment no matter the location...

for me if i lost every piece of equipment in one event replacement would exceed the 250k....but i can not think of any event that would cause total loss of everything at once ....part of that is due to various locations of the equipment......

not what your looking for but could help others

you will want what is called a "inland marine" floater policy added to your exisiting .....your agent should be able to provide this coverage every insurance company i have ever dealt with had "inland marine" policys availible....these policys are specificly for the situation you are in....specialized equipment at offsite locations

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
American Family Insurance was the only company I found that would ensure my tractor no matter where it was located, on or off my property. I pay about $70 per year for $500 deductible coverage. This is not a commercial policy. I can't do work for hire, but I can help out neighbors or the HOA.

People on this forum kept steering me to American Family, but I tried 5 different AM FAM agents before I found one that knew they could do this. It may take some work on your part, but it is possible.

Keane

·
Super Moderator
5,095 Posts
I paid off my tractor this past spring so I was a little concerned that the Deere policy that I got when I financed it was going to expire. I called USAA who I have all my other insurance with and they didn't offer anything but they did have some setup with Travelers Insurance.

They did a 3-way call with the Travelers agent and Travelers would sell me a policy that covered the tractor and loader (which I valued at $23K) for $300/year. It is an all encompassing policy much like the Deere policy. It covers theft, damage from a tree falling in it, me rolling it over, it falling off a trailer, me driving int into a pond... essentially anything that could possibly happen no matter where the machine is located.

The policy has a $100 deductible and is $300/year billed back through USAA (so it would show up in my regular insurance bill. USAA pays Travelers...). They'll cover any other implements if I give them the make/model/serial number and value. It would increase the cost but I can't imagine it would be all that much based on the tractor's price.

Contact Agribusiness | Travelers Insurance

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
American Family Insurance was the only company I found that would ensure my tractor no matter where it was located, on or off my property. I pay about $70 per year for $500 deductible coverage. This is not a commercial policy. I can't do work for hire, but I can help out neighbors or the HOA.

People on this forum kept steering me to American Family, but I tried 5 different AM FAM agents before I found one that knew they could do this. It may take some work on your part, but it is possible.

Keane
that's perfect! and reasonable. Thank you.

and thanks for all the replies, appreciate it.

"no matter where it was located"
Couple questions -
covered while trailering?
Is the coverage an appraised value, or actual replacement cost?
Buy you a new tractor, or pay you what 'they" say it was worth?

I have my old motorcycles covered as an "agreed value"............a set price, by me. If I lose one one, they don't go to the newspaper, or craigslist, or NADA to determine the dollar amount they pay me. They pay me the agreed value.
And sadly, I must say, I had to to use that after Hurricane Harvey on one of them.

I lost a bike I had a LOT of blood, sweat and beers in to, totally rewired myself, amongst many other things. At the time, these old Shovels were not, and still are not, bringing the money they once did, and will again. I could not have sold that bike for what I had it insured for.

Not nearly the same situation with the tractor, but just an example of other options and ways to insure things.

·
Premium Member
9,090 Posts
I paid off my tractor this past spring so I was a little concerned that the Deere policy that I got when I financed it was going to expire. I called USAA who I have all my other insurance with and they didn't offer anything but they did have some setup with Travelers Insurance.

They did a 3-way call with the Travelers agent and Travelers would sell me a policy that covered the tractor and loader (which I valued at $23K) for $300/year. It is an all encompassing policy much like the Deere policy. It covers theft, damage from a tree falling in it, me rolling it over, it falling off a trailer, me driving int into a pond... essentially anything that could possibly happen no matter where the machine is located.
I have USAA as well.

Maybe I should look at a policy for the Z.....:hide:

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Most insurance companies have more than one homeowners plans. Check if your current company offers another homeowners plan that will cover the tractor wherever it is at. Some do, depending on your plan. You will also have to increase the amount that it covers.

Mine is with Erie. My plan covers my tractor: if I am driving it on the highway, on my own property, on someone else's property, roadbed damage (if it were to get damaged while hauling it on a trailer), if a building falls on it and if damaged in a fire.

It only covers the tractor if it is being used for non-commercial use (e.g. not being paid to do work with it).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Kind of along the same lines...I inquired to my Farm Bureau agent as to whether I had coverage if my tractors were at the dealer or repair shop in the event of theft, fire etc. I was told "no coverage" and that would fall under that particular business's Garage Liability policy. So I asked if the facility had that sort of coverage and the owner said yes. It still did not leave me with a good feeling and is one of the reasons I do all my own maintenance and repairs, if possible.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Kind of along the same lines...I inquired to my Farm Bureau agent as to whether I had coverage if my tractors were at the dealer or repair shop in the event of theft, fire etc. I was told "no coverage" and that would fall under that particular business's Garage Liability policy. So I asked if the facility had that sort of coverage and the owner said yes. It still did not leave me with a good feeling and is one of the reasons I do all my own maintenance and repairs, if possible.
Do you have coverage through Farm Bureau on your tractor at your home? I have home owners and a country squire rider through them. They say neither policy rider covers my tractors or equipment. They tell me I have to list ALL my equipment separate and pay separate fees to insure ANY of it. I asked about a blanket farm policy and they said it would cost a lot more than listing the equipment separately.

I also have my autos through FB and they said my tractor would be covered it it were on my trailer connected to my covered truck. :banghead:

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I have USAA as well.

Maybe I should look at a policy for the Z.....:hide:
I also have USAA and just did a insurance review for the home and all the other stuff. It is good to do this from time to time but the big trigger point for me was the garage build we are doing.

Sometimes things differ a bit from state to state but for me I was going through everything and they basically take a % of your home value for insuring your other "Stuff" stuff being all your household stuff (I carry additional coverage for computers though). I want to say that the % is something like 25% or 50%. So after we got done talking about the house we I asked about my lawn mower. He just dismissed it saying yeah mower is part of household stuff %. I tell him, no, this isn't a $500 push mower. Oh that is fine if covers riding mowers. Oh, I haven't even gotten to my tractor yet. The mower is a commercial John Deere Zero Turn. Oh, well do you do commercial mowing? Nope, the only time it leaves the property is if I am helping out a neighbor, going to shop (now out of warranty so highly unlikely) or maybe doing a big fuel run I sometimes trailer it with by fuel cart. Ok, that is all fine we will just adjust that % on household stuff. Because the home value shot up quite a bit with the additional square footage and garage space, that increased the dollar figure that is resulting from the % as well. I still felt it was a little light so we went from 25% of home value to 50%.

He runs all the numbers and came back with my policy dollar figure change. I want to say it was $14/mo. Granted with the construction other things changed which helped out. For instance when we were going through the home characteristics he asked about the roof. He said we show it is about 15-20 years old. No... Don't you see that you just put a new roof on my house last month? He just said that the claim is still active so he wouldn't see it. So, we got a premium reduction for having a new roof.

·
Super Moderator
5,095 Posts
I also have my autos through FB and they said my tractor would be covered it it were on my trailer connected to my covered truck. :banghead:
This is pretty normal. You are usually covered under your home owner's policy if the tractor is on your property but that shifts to your auto policy if it is on a trailer being towed.

Once you take it off a trailer on someone else's property you enter into a sort of no-mans land. You may be covered in some way (if you drop it at a dealer's lot it should be covered by the dealer's business insurer...) or you may not be covered at all. That's where these additional policies come into play.

·
Super Moderator
5,095 Posts
I also have USAA and just did a insurance review for the home and all the other stuff. It is good to do this from time to time but the big trigger point for me was the garage build we are doing.

Sometimes things differ a bit from state to state but for me I was going through everything and they basically take a % of your home value for insuring your other "Stuff" stuff being all your household stuff (I carry additional coverage for computers though). I want to say that the % is something like 25% or 50%. So after we got done talking about the house we I asked about my lawn mower. He just dismissed it saying yeah mower is part of household stuff %. I tell him, no, this isn't a $500 push mower. Oh that is fine if covers riding mowers. Oh, I haven't even gotten to my tractor yet. The mower is a commercial John Deere Zero Turn. Oh, well do you do commercial mowing? Nope, the only time it leaves the property is if I am helping out a neighbor, going to shop (now out of warranty so highly unlikely) or maybe doing a big fuel run I sometimes trailer it with by fuel cart. Ok, that is all fine we will just adjust that % on household stuff. Because the home value shot up quite a bit with the additional square footage and garage space, that increased the dollar figure that is resulting from the % as well. I still felt it was a little light so we went from 25% of home value to 50%.

He runs all the numbers and came back with my policy dollar figure change. I want to say it was $14/mo. Granted with the construction other things changed which helped out. For instance when we were going through the home characteristics he asked about the roof. He said we show it is about 15-20 years old. No... Don't you see that you just put a new roof on my house last month? He just said that the claim is still active so he wouldn't see it. So, we got a premium reduction for having a new roof.
In numerous discussions I've had with USAA over that last 30+ years, they've always used $10K as a "You need special provision for that!" thing on their policies. Jewelry, firearms, art.. any "high value items" that total up to $10K kicks in a specific line item for them. If the value is under $10K they just throw it into that overall bin as a percentage of the house's value.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
In numerous discussions I've had with USAA over that last 30+ years, they've always used $10K as a "You need special provision for that!" thing on their policies. Jewelry, firearms, art.. any "high value items" that total up to $10K kicks in a specific line item for them. If the value is under $10K they just throw it into that overall bin as a percentage of the house's value.
That is interesting. I have a special provision for computers as I said but not the other stuff. We were even talking values. I said that replacement for the ZTR is around $16K and the tractor with all the attachments is around $10K. I also said that in the next year or two the tractor will be replaced then that is going to be closer to $20k and he didn't seem to care. That is why we bumped the coverage for all that other stuff. I felt that in a complete loss (tornado) we would have some big ticket items that would eat into it too much.

The other question I had which he couldn't answer was our accessory buildings. We carry additional insurance on them but if there was a major loss like a tornado, we can't rebuild them. They are grandfathered in but are not permitted with current ordinance. What I would do in that case is build my pole barn with a walk out style. The grade of the ground would easily allow this. However doing spancrete is of course a lot more expensive. I could reclaim some of that cost by the buildings I am not rebuilding but will they say they are not paying for them since I am not building them? He just said that it would be a question for the claims department as he didn't know. He thought they would. It wouldn't be any different than someone that had total loss and chose not to rebuild anything and then maybe sold the lot. That is getting off topic but I still have to ask the claims department that question. I have an open claim still and need to call them once we get the siding done. Hopefully yet this week.

Edit:

The hard thing with USAA is that some of their policy stuff differs from state to state. For instance in MN they won't insure motorcycles or campers. They connected us to Progressive for those items kind of like mentioned above. But in other states I know some people from other forums that have their motorcycles covered by USAA.

·
Super Moderator
5,095 Posts
That is interesting. I have a special provision for computers as I said but not the other stuff. We were even talking values. I said that replacement for the ZTR is around $16K and the tractor with all the attachments is around $10K. I also said that in the next year or two the tractor will be replaced then that is going to be closer to $20k and he didn't seem to care. That is why we bumped the coverage for all that other stuff. I felt that in a complete loss (tornado) we would have some big ticket items that would eat into it too much.
Whoever you were talking with may just not have known how to deal with high value power equipment. USAA doesn't sell policies that cover that sort of stuff so instead of just saying "we don't cover that separately", he may have found a way to include it under the general home owner's policy.

The other question I had which he couldn't answer was our accessory buildings. We carry additional insurance on them but if there was a major loss like a tornado, we can't rebuild them. They are grandfathered in but are not permitted with current ordinance. What I would do in that case is build my pole barn with a walk out style. The grade of the ground would easily allow this. However doing spancrete is of course a lot more expensive. I could reclaim some of that cost by the buildings I am not rebuilding but will they say they are not paying for them since I am not building them? He just said that it would be a question for the claims department as he didn't know. He thought they would. It wouldn't be any different than someone that had total loss and chose not to rebuild anything and then maybe sold the lot. That is getting off topic but I still have to ask the claims department that question. I have an open claim still and need to call them once we get the siding done. Hopefully yet this week.
Some 20+ years ago when I lived in OK, we had a largish (16'x20') pole barn in the back of our lot. It got blown away during a tornado. They sent us a check for the value of the building. I ended up replacing it with a 10' x 10' aluminum shed that cost me less than $400. They were told what I had done and didn't care. My understanding is that you have X. If X is lost, they pay you the value of X regardless of whether you replace it or not. Even if you have a replacement policy, they will only pay you the value of replacing the building that was lost. If you decide to replace it with a more expensive building the additional cost is on you. That's no different than a house. If you have a $500,000 house and it's lost, they'll pay to rebuild that $500,000 house. (even if it costs more to that that to build it.) But if you want to build an $800,000 house, that $300,000 difference is on you.

Edit:

The hard thing with USAA is that some of their policy stuff differs from state to state. For instance in MN they won't insure motorcycles or campers. They connected us to Progressive for those items kind of like mentioned above. But in other states I know some people from other forums that have their motorcycles covered by USAA.
Yup. I have my camper insured through USAA but I was told they won't issue new policies for motorcycles here in MA any more (they used to!).

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Whoever you were talking with may just not have known how to deal with high value power equipment. USAA doesn't sell policies that cover that sort of stuff so instead of just saying "we don't cover that separately", he may have found a way to include it under the general home owner's policy.
When I was first buying the Z950R I called and asked because I was debating on taking the JD insurance vs just covering it under homeowners. Back then I had the same answer. As long as I was going through this process again and doing a policy review I wanted to make sure nothing changed. They only cared if I was using it for business use or personal. Since it is personal, they said it was covered. I agree they are not used to dealing with equipment in the 10s of thousands of dollars. For the average person that calls them they probably have a $500 push mower or $1500 rider.

Some 20+ years ago when I lived in OK, we had a largish (16'x20') pole barn in the back of our lot. It got blown away during a tornado. They sent us a check for the value of the building. I ended up replacing it with a 10' x 10' aluminum shed that cost me less than $400. They were told what I had done and didn't care. My understanding is that you have X. If X is lost, they pay you the value of X regardless of whether you replace it or not. Even if you have a replacement policy, they will only pay you the value of replacing the building that was lost. If you decide to replace it with a more expensive building the additional cost is on you. That's no different than a house. If you have a $500,000 house and it's lost, they'll pay to rebuild that $500,000 house. (even if it costs more to that that to build it.) But if you want to build an $800,000 house, that $300,000 difference is on you.
Going through this with our current claim for hail. We took damage to the roof and siding. They couldn't match the siding so they are replacing the siding on the house as well. I spoke with my wife and said we were planning on adding a garage to the house as part of the 5 year plan, lets do it now since part of it (a few squares of shingles and some siding) that was once the porch will get ripped off when we demo that to make it bigger and tack on the garage to it. This of course complicated things quite a bit but it means we don't put on new shingles and siding now on the porch which was going to get demoed in a couple years and then try and match stuff. Of course the ~$120K or so is out of pocket. They did pay for some of the shingles and some of the siding though for the addition. I assume we would be fine in a tornado but you know what happens when you assume...

Yup. I have my camper insured through USAA but I was told they won't issue new policies for motorcycles here in MA any more (they used to!).
USAA wouldn't insure our camper when we bought it 2 years ago. They won't insure my motorcycles that I have been riding for the last 20 years. But I know people with both or one or the other in different states where they do insure them. Not a big deal. This is our first claim with USAA, they have been pretty good. My complaints about this is more with the mortgage company than USAA. US Bank sucks to deal with and I wish we had a USAA mortgage. I also had one claim with Progressive when I totaled out a motorcycle a few years back. That was a fair process as well.

For what it is worth they did say that while trailering my ZTrak or X585 I would be covered by vehicle insurance (USAA) and while at home it would be covered by homeowner's (USAA). As mentioned it was only going to be an issue if doing it for a business and if so I think they had options for that as well. Maybe the OP could buy an old truck. Park the tractor on a trailer hooked up to the truck and then it is covered by vehicle insurance... :think:

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Do you have coverage through Farm Bureau on your tractor at your home? I have home owners and a country squire rider through them. They say neither policy rider covers my tractors or equipment. They tell me I have to list ALL my equipment separate and pay separate fees to insure ANY of it. I asked about a blanket farm policy and they said it would cost a lot more than listing the equipment separately.

I would question this concerning an auto policy. The majority of auto policies do not cover things that are in/on a trailer. Read you policy carefully and be very careful what an agent tells you. Always ask them to show you in your policy where it says that. Talk is cheap and when it really matters, that talk means nothing.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I would question this concerning an auto policy. The majority of auto policies do not cover things that are in/on a trailer. Read you policy carefully and be very careful what an agent tells you. Always ask them to show you in your policy where it says that. Talk is cheap and when it really matters, that talk means nothing.
I agree that it is best to talk to the company rep. Every company and policy is different and I pointed out even with the same company, many times it is different by state. Look at the USAA stuff above.

If you are pulling something that is licensed that won't be covered for sure. For instance when we go camping, we are towing our camper but the camper is a separately licensed/titled thing and has to carry separate insurance if we want coverage. Kind of like a case where if your house burns down and your truck is destroyed in the fire because it was parked in the garage. You home owner's insurance won't cover it. It would fall under the auto policy and you get to pay a second deductible. As you get into other things like trailers and things being carried in/on it is a grey area. Is it a car hauler and you are towing your classic car. Then your car insurance and deductible applies to the car and the truck has its own deductible and coverage. Is it a sofa on a trailer because your kid is moving into college? Well then maybe you can get your auto insurance for the tow vehicle to cover it. Sometimes there are caps. That $1000 sofa might be covered because there may be a cap of $5000. But that means they only pay out $5,000 on your $20,000 tractor. With my motorcycle insurance there are specifics to stuff like this. They insure the bike plus I carry another $5,000 in insurance for other stuff. That covers my helmet, jacket, pants, GPS and other accessories. That is probably way to low as my Shoei Helmet and Aerostich custom suit would burn through half that $5K. I am running a lot of electronics and other gear on my long distance bike. It is probably fine though for my around town bikes though.

Bottom line I agree that you really need to spell out what your are trying to do and how to cover it. Everyone writes policies different.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, here I sit after making some telephone calls this morning.
Spend half my life on hold or waiting for someone to call me back. :mad:

Called Progressive (have autos, boat and scooters with them) - they do not offer such insurance for my tractor.
Flo gave me a # of an outfit in a nearby town to my fishin camp.
I called them - she said she'd call back with a quote. :munch:

Called the place keane suggested as that sounded perfect (American Family Ins) - they do not cover Texas.

Called my homeowners Agent (Farmers) - she is checking and will call back. :munch:

From what the gals said that I'm waiting calls from, sounds like it's going to be way more than I care to spend. The one mentioned she wrote one for a feller recently with a 2015-16 tractor plus a few implements, and it was ~500 bucks a year. Hell that's what I pay for my trailer house at the lake!

Will report back when I get some results.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Follow up question

You might have wanted to ask a follow up question. What happens if the shop doesn't have liability coverage and can't pay for your tractor? I suspect your agent was correct in that first the repair shop would be liable but if for some reason they wouldn't or couldn't compensate you, I wonder if your policy would step in. I suspect it would and then your insurance would go after the shop's insurer. That's just a guess but your agent or the company should be able to give you a definitive answer.

Treefarmer

1 - 20 of 45 Posts