Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious what prompts other GTT supporters and members to go to the personal profile page of other users. This isn't a technical question as much as it is a "How / Why Others use it this way" question.

For me, it's usually to see the location of the other member at that time if they are online. Other times, it's to find out the threads where those specific members are posting.

For the most part, the members who's Profile Pages I have visited are frequently in the same threads as am I. But when I look at the list of those who have visited my profile page, some of those who have visited my page are unknown to me, which is what prompted me to pose this question.

I have also visited others personal pages to try and figure out why someone's user name was selected. For example, I was CONVINCED that ZebraFive was probably a "Active Special Forces Operative" and a shadowy figure with such a unique code name. Turns out that I was wrong about my assumptions and his reason for selecting his name was far less "descriptive", and much more realistic than I imagined......:dunno: But he is still a great guy who I hope to meet in the real world soon.......When I shared with him why I thought he had selected his User Name, I imagine he thought my reasoning for his name was a little "over creative", and he was right, again.:good2:

Perhaps there are valuable ways to use the profile pages which haven't occurred to each of us which I am hoping will be revealed and explained in the responses to this new thread.

Also, are there features or options on the Profile page which others would encourage us to use, based upon their visits and the information they may be seeking? Do those members who have selected friends communicate differently with the friends through frequent PM's, or is it merely a recognition of common interests? I get the feeling I am not using the Profile page as I could to get the most out of my "GTT experience". I am hoping others will share ideas which benefit us all.......

So if anyone has suggestions, thoughts or comments which can improve the GTT experience for all of us, I am all ears.......Well, not ALL ears, but certainly open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your response.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I look at profile pages because that's where the ban button is on Tapatalk. :nunu: :lol: :lol:

Kidding. I rarely look at profile pages, but curious to see what info others are interested in. I'm not even sure what's on mine, maybe I should go look into that...

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I look at profile pages because that's where the ban button is on Tapatalk. :nunu: :lol: :lol:

Kidding. I rarely look at profile pages, but curious to see what info others are interested in. I'm not even sure what's on mine, maybe I should go look into that...
Same here.

·
Super Moderator
5,105 Posts
I think the only times I've looked at someone's profile page is when they post something like "...as I mentioned in the other thread...".

If I go look at their profile I can usually figure out which other thread they were talking about.

A think a couple of times I knew someone had posted a link that I wanted to find so same sort of thing. Rummage around in their posts until I find it...

·
Registered
22,713 Posts
I look at profile pages usually to find out the person's occupation and hobbies.
Me too. I find it interesting to see the different backgrounds we all are from (career wise). Of course I usually find I am in a place that is out of my league.......

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
That's pretty much me too. I often will read a post that I find interesting or provocative and I want to see where the guy is coming from.
Yep same here. Sometimes if I am in the SmartA$$ mode I will look at their profile and some of the posts they have made to see if they may take offense to my comment. Email or replies are hard to see someone's face so I try to be careful and mindful of that. I would never want to intentionally slam someone. There are too many good folks on here that are willing to open their minds and help someone out regardless of who they are. But be mindful, I am not afraid to come off the porch when barked at.:mocking:

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Yep same here. Sometimes if I am in the SmartA$$ mode I will look at their profile and some of the posts they have made to see if they may take offense to my comment. Email or replies are hard to see someone's face so I try to be careful and mindful of that. I would never want to intentionally slam someone. There are too many good folks on here that are willing to open their minds and help someone out regardless of who they are. But be mindful, I am not afraid to come off the porch when barked at.:mocking:
Yep, me too. This site is wonderfully friendly and with super administrators/moderators. While I am not particularly quick to take offense, there are a couple things that yank my chain and I have gotten into at least one significant tiff with another member some time back. My background is in the legal field; if you want to make me look stupid, do it by proving me wrong, not by insults or talking down to me.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I end up there 99.9% of the time by operator error. I click the avatar pic instead of the screen name and boom I'm at their profile page.

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
I put stuff on my profile because a number of years ago when there were very few members someone said to fill it out and being a good Soldier I did what I was told. I find it interesting to see where everyone comes from.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Think, think, think. . .

This one is tough as:

• I hate to post any personal information on the net.
  • I really like interacting with the folks on GTT.
  • I'm curious about some of the GTTer's but want to respect their privacy as well.
It is helpful to know locations and something about the terrain that people are running their machines on. I'm really, really used to judging the ability of our soil to hold a tractor up in muddy conditions. What I see people do on the sides of mountains would have me staining the seat. And 56Fordguy- Wyoming is beautiful but looks like a really tough place to live.

It's fun knowing the background of others. Sulleybear, you seemed to have an amazing career and I wish I you could talk with my son as he's just starting out. I think what you've done would be inspirational. Others are doing some really fun jobs, at least from the comfort of the computer. It's really cool to see what it looks like from the top of a crane but if I was standing at the bottom thinking about climbing it, I might get a sudden case of the shakes.

I guess my bottom line is I enjoy seeing information about others but only to the extent they are willing to share. I'm really cautious about putting my personal information out there, not because it's anything special but because I know how it's possible to combine seemingly innocent information and build a profile of someone. Most people do that mentally but some hackers do it for unfriendly purposes.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This one is tough as:

• I hate to post any personal information on the net.
  • I really like interacting with the folks on GTT.
  • I'm curious about some of the GTTer's but want to respect their privacy as well.
It is helpful to know locations and something about the terrain that people are running their machines on. I'm really, really used to judging the ability of our soil to hold a tractor up in muddy conditions. What I see people do on the sides of mountains would have me staining the seat. And 56Fordguy- Wyoming is beautiful but looks like a really tough place to live.

It's fun knowing the background of others. Sulleybear, you seemed to have an amazing career and I wish I you could talk with my son as he's just starting out. I think what you've done would be inspirational. Others are doing some really fun jobs, at least from the comfort of the computer. It's really cool to see what it looks like from the top of a crane but if I was standing at the bottom thinking about climbing it, I might get a sudden case of the shakes.

I guess my bottom line is I enjoy seeing information about others but only to the extent they are willing to share. I'm really cautious about putting my personal information out there, not because it's anything special but because I know how it's possible to combine seemingly innocent information and build a profile of someone. Most people do that mentally but some hackers do it for unfriendly purposes.

Treefarmer
Very well said and thank you for your post. Also, thank you for the compliment about my career and if there is any way I can assist you or your son, I would certainly be willing to try. Feel free to Private Message me anytime.

I share the same concern about posting personal information and photo's as the technology is amazing and you can search photo's and sometimes determine locations from their images and even find the same image posting anywhere else on the net, which leads to identifying people. Once that your personal identity has been revealed, that "bell has rung" and simply can't be undone.

Some times, just for the challenge, I have taken people's photo's and other seemingly innocent images and really analyzed and searched them and enhanced the images, etc. Often, I am able to identify either the exact location the photo was taken or even people or facilities in the images. From relationships and those who's friends and relatives post stuff on Social Media sites (like WasteBook, my term for facebook) I am able to identify people in the pictures and then figure out from their public social media postings and information on programs like Ancestry.com, etc., who the other people in the photo's are.

Sometimes, just for the challenge, I will try and find someone or something using the net.

Just a few nights ago, I was looking at photo's of a home which was for sale on Zillow. In one of the photo's, I noticed a framed document on the wall and I was able to enhance the photo and eventually read the name on the diploma from a university, which then led me to determining within 30 minutes precisely who owned the home, the name and location of the business they own and operate, the name of their church and discovered that the homeowner's wife had published two books on "end of times" themes and so had her father. I was even able to find this families new home they had purchased, which is why their current home is for sale. All from the contents of a Zillow photo and everything I did was perfectly legal.

·
Premium Member
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SulleyBear = :spy:

:lol:
I was researching one of my long time Doctors last night on line and was really surprised by some of the negative reviews he had gotten from some people. He has been one of my docs for over 15 years and I have never witnessed or experienced any of what was described by some in the reviews. But he runs a pain clinic and often people are trying to use them to get meds which they shouldn't have and my doctor is a serious no nonsense guy and he "won't play", which is good and I respect him for that.

I found where two of the states where he has medical licenses, those same states have over $7,800 in their unclaimed money account for this same doctor. He changed his office address several years ago and the states aren't smart enough to search their own professional license databases to see if they have his new address, which they do. So I have a surprise for him on Tuesday when I see him, I will show him how to claim his money from these accounts. Amazing how hard the states looked for him before simply deeming his money "unclaimed".......:laugh:

And the sleuthing continues...........
:spy::think::spy::privateeye::privateeye::knownothing:

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Now headed to another state

Very well said and thank you for your post. Also, thank you for the compliment about my career and if there is any way I can assist you or your son, I would certainly be willing to try. Feel free to Private Message me anytime.

I share the same concern about posting personal information and photo's as the technology is amazing and you can search photo's and sometimes determine locations from their images and even find the same image posting anywhere else on the net, which leads to identifying people. Once that your personal identity has been revealed, that "bell has rung" and simply can't be undone.

Some times, just for the challenge, I have taken people's photo's and other seemingly innocent images and really analyzed and searched them and enhanced the images, etc. Often, I am able to identify either the exact location the photo was taken or even people or facilities in the images. From relationships and those who's friends and relatives post stuff on Social Media sites (like WasteBook, my term for facebook) I am able to identify people in the pictures and then figure out from their public social media postings and information on programs like Ancestry.com, etc., who the other people in the photo's are.

Sometimes, just for the challenge, I will try and find someone or something using the net.

Just a few nights ago, I was looking at photo's of a home which was for sale on Zillow. In one of the photo's, I noticed a framed document on the wall and I was able to enhance the photo and eventually read the name on the diploma from a university, which then led me to determining within 30 minutes precisely who owned the home, the name and location of the business they own and operate, the name of their church and discovered that the homeowner's wife had published two books on "end of times" themes and so had her father. I was even able to find this families new home they had purchased, which is why their current home is for sale. All from the contents of a Zillow photo and everything I did was perfectly legal.
Well, I'm now in my non descript car/truck/suv headed to an undisclosed location in a different state. No bank account, no credit card and the driver's license I bought from a friend. . . with cash and he doesn't know my real name.

Sulleybear, while I don't have your chops on the net the little poking around I have done is scary. You are right, it's not hard to find out way more about people than used to be the case. Ultimately if someone really tracks me down, they will find the end result to be pretty boring but I like to make it more difficult by not posting on wastebook. This is about the only forum that I'm on except for work where I'm clearly identified.

Interesting stuff. Most young people these days just expect to share everything and don't care who knows it.

Treefarmer, now on the lam.

·
Registered
12,309 Posts
I don't think i have stumbled onto this place ur calling the profile thingee a me thing:dunno: as others has said-i believe i am way-------------over my head with the fellas who are way smarter than i am. but so glad these same fellas has taught me so much in this short time.:yahoo: this tech stuff is nice, but i also think it is a tool to invade my space also. so--where does a fella draw the line at-huh!! if i could of looked at all this stuff 20yrs ago-jeez whiz-i think i could of went to a school to better myself--maybe:unknown:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts