Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
What is the earliest model of John Deere tractor that came with a 3pt hitch and rear pto?
With no research, I would say the 40. I think the 50-60-70 had an 801 hitch which was not a true three-point hitch, but I think the 40 did.

Registered
What are you going to be using the tractor for? That might get you a bit more insight.... I鈥檝e got a 1954 JD 50 that has live PTO and live hydraulics. I added an aftermarket 3 point to it and it works awesome

Premium Member
I was thinking it was the 10 series but some will say they are not antiques, ie not 2 cylinders.

Did the 3digit 730鈥檚 etc. have them from the factory? I鈥檓 not sure. As stated above I think we have a 70 with an aftermarket one.

Registered
With no research, I would say the 40. I think the 50-60-70 had an 801 hitch which was not a true three-point hitch, but I think the 40 did.
Yep, I think the 40 was the first true implementation of the 3 point for Deere. The standard 40S or utility 40U would be my choice rather than the tricycle.

If you're planning to brush hog, you'll need to add an ORC for the PTO.

Premium Member
The 800 series hitches were 3-pt, just not the same as conventional 3-pt. And with plenty of finger pinching points! :banghead:

I agree, a 40S, if you can find one, only took me 50 years: HPIM1687.jpg HPIM1779.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
That 40 looks incredible. Never considered one of those.
I was really wanting to be able to put a tiller or rear blade on the back or even a spreader and having a 3pt hitch with rear pto would be needed for the spreader and tiller.
I'm currently looking at getting a 1935 unstyled B which has the 540 rear pto but no 3pt. I could fab up some kind of bracket I suppose to hold my spreader back there but with out something mechanical or hydraulic a tiller won't work.
But I'm getting into collecting and wanted something old like an unstyled A or B but be able to use some of today implements.

Hey, I want a title too!
Not sure if you watch the auctions on BigIron.com, but there is a lot of NE sales. If it wasn't such a long drive I'd buy one from the auction. Although I guess if the price was right I could justify the fuel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts