Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an article I found interesting: Tractor Ballasting Tips and Options

There's also a photo that shows a unique, home-brew compact concrete ballast weight: Tractor-Concrete-Ballast.jpg

Thought others might find this helpful.

Frank

·
Administrator
18,463 Posts
That was a great article, one I could have written myself until it started to suggest that wheel weights and loaded tires where adequate ballast instead of something on the 3PH. I may have to send a note to them...

Reactions: fdmars

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,037 Posts
Thanks Superglidesport. That picture is from a guy on TBN.

·
Premium Member
10,099 Posts
Very interesting article.

I also picked up on the filled tires / wheel weights as ballast.

I think they were refering to loading or weighting rear tires to improve rear traction / reduce slippage or increase the effectiveness and safety of using the front implement. It seems they kind of went from reducing the front axle loading to traction without a transition. They probably should have added a note that weight on or in the tires is not effective at reducing the front axle loading to the cons section of wheel weights and tire loading.

Otherwise a pretty good article.

·
Administrator
18,463 Posts
Very interesting article.

I also picked up on the filled tires / wheel weights as ballast.

I think they were refering to loading or weighting rear tires to improve rear traction / reduce slippage or increase the effectiveness and safety of using the front implement. It seems they kind of went from reducing the front axle loading to traction without a transition. They probably should have added a note that weight on or in the tires is not effective at reducing the front axle loading to the cons section of wheel weights and tire loading.

Otherwise a pretty good article.
Yup, exactly what I was thinking...
We ballast our machines for two different reasons generally, one to offset the loader or even a very heavy rear implement like a rotary cutter, and the other to increase traction and/or stability and that article was a little fuzzy when differentiating the two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts