Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my 430 new in 91, at 32 years of age some folks thought I was not spending my money wisely at the time, so here we are 30 years later, I’m still running the 430 and I have quotes for a new 1025r on my desk.
I’ve spent some time justifying the cost of the new equipment in my head and I’m having a more difficult time spending the money than I did at 32, probably because of my age, understandably, so this morning while looking at the quote I added the cost of the 1025r plus the mower deck then went into an inflation calculator and had an interesting discovery, in 91 I believe I paid in the neighborhood of $10’500 for the 430, well if you take the inflation calculator and plug in $10’500 from 91, today’s money is $20’587, the numbers for a 1025r and mower are $18’394! Rear PTO included, 3 pt included, 4x4 included, I realize we’re talkin about a completely different piece of equipment but I just thought it was a interesting comparison, not that I’m trying to help anyone spend there money, maybe more of an exercise for me!
Granted I have a loader, 3rd function hydro’s, tiller, grapple and a couple more things on my quote but not included in the money comparison above but interesting nonetheless IMO!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I enjoy comparing the cost of the tractors and equipment we purchase now with what we've purchased in the past. As a more "senior" person we sometimes talk about how little we paid for these items back in the day but when inflation is factored in we didn't do as well as we thought. My grandfather bought a Cub Cadet 102 with a 42" mower in 1966 for $825. Using the inflation calculator that equals about $6,800 in 2021 dollars. The day the Cub Cadet was delivered will go down as one of the greatest days in my life. But, looking back it was a pretty basic tractor. No power steering of course, no hydraulic lift and with only 10 hp it had its' limit. Still a good tractor for the day but $6,800 will buy a lot more tractor today though sometimes I think of the advantages of the simple design.

My farmer friends talk glowingly of the John Deere 4020 and yearn for the day of a $10,000 dollar 90 horse tractor. But when adjusted for inflation the 4020 of 1970 would cost over $60,000 today. The 4020 may be the best of the classic tractors of the era (the International Harvester, Allis Chalmers, Case, Oliver, Minneapolis Moline folks may disagree) today's tractors probably offer more for the money.

Perhaps the only real answer is to have tractors from all of the different time periods. At least that is my plan.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Robots! Increased efficiency is the engine that powers growth.

I think a better comparison to the 430 and 332 is the current x758, and those are about $14k with a deck at this time, so even more notable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.