Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While sitting on the tractor yesterday I started playing with the PTO. No attachment on, just turning it on and off. It seems that if your off the tractor you can turn on the rear PTO and everything will stay running. If you sit in the seat and turn on the rear and then get off the seat it will shut the tractor down. Interesting

·
Premium Member
12,154 Posts
While sitting on the tractor yesterday I started playing with the PTO. No attachment on, just turning it on and off. It seems that if your off the tractor you can turn on the rear PTO and everything will stay running. If you sit in the seat and turn on the rear and then get off the seat it will shut the tractor down. Interesting
That is all detailed in the owner's manual. There is a specific procedure for running a rear implement like a wood chipper, etc. which requires the rear PTO to be operating and the operator off the seat. The manual gives the sequence for operating such implements. It only works for the rear PTO.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
I can never remember that

That is all detailed in the owner's manual. There is a specific procedure for running a rear implement like a wood chipper, etc. which requires the rear PTO to be operating and the operator off the seat. The manual gives the sequence for operating such implements. It only works for the rear PTO.
My 790 has a procedure and it's simple and easy but I can never remember it from time to time. I need to laminate a card with instructions and put it under the seat or something. . .

Treefarmer

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
My 790 has a procedure and it's simple and easy but I can never remember it from time to time. I need to laminate a card with instructions and put it under the seat or something. . .

Treefarmer
Yes, great minds think alike, I made abbreviated sequence sheets for my new loader and backhoe and kept them in the toolbox. No matter what, it's always easier and less cussable when proper order is followed. Now, if I could always remember to take off that silly "adapter" for the front quick hitch when going from plow to FEL... "Why won't this *****&** loader install right?" :laugh::nunu:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Yup.. Its all there in the OP manual.. Miss one step and she wont work. Truth is.. Even as a tech we have to look it up a lot. Different stuf everyday. Surprized we haven't worn out the theory of operation section! Lol

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just for reference, here is the process as stated in the manual:

Using Rear Power-Take-Off (PTO)—Operator off Seat

1. Sit on operator seat
2. Lock the park brake.
3. Move the 2-speed range lever to the N position.
4. NOTE: The starter will not crank if the PTO/RIO switch knob is in any engaged/on position.
Start the engine.
5. Set engine speed to 1500 rpm or less.
6. Move the PTO control lever (A) to Position (D) - Rear PTO only.
7. Exit seat for rear PTO operation without operator on seat..
8. Pull PTO/RIO switch knob up to the engaged/on position.
9. Adjust the hand throttle lever forward to the desired speed for the implement used.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Just for reference, here is the process as stated in the manual:

Using Rear Power-Take-Off (PTO)—Operator off Seat

1. Sit on operator seat
2. Lock the park brake.
3. Move the 2-speed range lever to the N position.
4. NOTE: The starter will not crank if the PTO/RIO switch knob is in any engaged/on position.
Start the engine.
5. Set engine speed to 1500 rpm or less.
6. Move the PTO control lever (A) to Position (D) - Rear PTO only.
7. Exit seat for rear PTO operation without operator on seat..
8. Pull PTO/RIO switch knob up to the engaged/on position.
9. Adjust the hand throttle lever forward to the desired speed for the implement used.
There you go folks, a genuine PTO Cheat Sheet, copy, paste to Notepad and print it. Or just use your own "copy" pencil if still in the yellow pad era.:laugh: (Sorry, couldn't resist.:mocking::laugh:

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
1500 rpm?

5. Set engine speed to 1500 rpm or less?

1025R idle speed is supposed to be 1575 rpm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts