Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a problem with my 2440. The starter will not consistently engage when turning the key to start. It will click - like a dead battery. Sometimes engage for a partial turn. repeated turns of the key will eventually result in full turn over and start. I bought this tractor in 2015 and it was supposed to have had a new starter - the solenoid does look new.

Here's what I've tried so far:
  • cleaned both battery terminals - reinstalled.
  • jumpered across transmission lock switch.
  • checked alternator output during run - 13.9VDC
Any suggestions on what may be going on would be appreciated.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Cleaned and tightened chassis side of the battery negative cable? Same with the positive cable at the starter?

Reactions: Rope_Chucker

·
Administrator
20,984 Posts
Does the starter have a bendix? If so, I’d remove and clean it. Probably replace the contacts and brushes while you’re in there. A starter alternator shop should have the parts in stock or could do the repair for you.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Have you checked battery voltage? If this hasn't already been performed I will recommend to relocate tractor negative battery ground cable attachment from rusty battery box to starter mounting bolt or engine block. You might also consider adding a starter relay if one isn't already installed as shown in photo below.
HTH's,Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
SRG - Yes checked negative side also.

Tx Jim - It has been modified mounting the negative ground to the starter base (someone else did that before I got the tractor). I would need more detail on your schematic - I'm not sure of what all I'm looking at there.

DieselShawdow - Yes - I believe it has a bendix ( based on JD parts catalog drawings - that site has changed a lot since I was last there). I suspect this is the best place to start - may be able to pull that today - need to shoe a horse today too.

_BAN0443a.jpg

Thanks for all the input - it is very much appreciated.

And just for the heck of it, here's our sunrise this morning - going to be a nice day.

_BAN0441a.jpg

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
Last resort put a gear reduction starter on it. Made a big difference on my 2030

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the starter out but haven't opened it up yet.

One thing I saw is some damage on the gear teeth of the flywheel. Is this normal/acceptable (considering this is a 1977 vintage tractor)?

Flywheel gear teeth_A.jpg

The drive gear on the over running clutch does not show damage. Also, the manual refers to over running clutch as the engagement mechanism between starter motor and flywheel - is that the same as a bendix?

_BAN0447a.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Premium Member
9,367 Posts
The tooth wear on the flywheel isn't "troublesome". It's typical as that is the leading edge of the flywheel with which the starter engages. I certainly can't see the tooth wear being an impediment to the starter working or even affecting it's wear. Where it becomes a problem is when 1/3rd of the tooth is worn off, reducing the gear area for the starter to grab.

I would take the starter to a good "Alternator / Starter Shop". Anyone who works on automotive starters should be able to handle this and likely might even have the parts. The guys who rebuild these everyday can not only bench test it appropriately, they know what to repair to make this work for another couple of decades. But like many of those types of shops, as the owners retire and many in our area were small one or two person operations, they are dwindling in numbers..........

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, SullyBear. That is my plan for today when they open up - not quite 7:30am here.

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
probably duplicate information but what you describe the order of checking i would do is

#1 fully charge battery and load test
#2 check all battery and ground cables and connections back to starter
#3 remove starter and test on bench
#4 test solenoid on bench
#5 check key circuit power
#6 check safety cutout circuits

only after doing those would i take starter/solinoid to a shop for a load test

good luck let us know the results

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
probably duplicate information but what you describe the order of checking i would do is

#1 fully charge battery and load test
#2 check all battery and ground cables and connections back to starter
#3 remove starter and test on bench
#4 test solenoid on bench
#5 check key circuit power
#6 check safety cutout circuits

only after doing those would i take starter/solinoid to a shop for a load test

good luck let us know the results
Thanks, ttazzman for the comprehensive and methodical check list. I should have had that when I dove in the other day. I was told that the shop evaluation and re-work would be about a wash with replacement so I did end up getting a re-man starter from NAPA, got it in this afternoon and it cranks over like it should now. So the starter and $297 got us back in action.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my thread.

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
Was there any core value for your old starter? I am wondering if the one I replaced on my 2030 is worth anything :greentractorride:

Reactions: Rope_Chucker

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes - there was $69 charge/refund on the old one.

Reactions: Zebrafive
1 - 13 of 13 Posts