Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
There was a pretty nice 856 with turbo and cab for sale. Had a working TA, front weights, rear split weights on inside of wheels and duals. The shocker----$15,500 YIKES!!!

I missed out on what was almost a one owner 1256. A guy inherited it with a ranch. It had extremely low hours with an original IH loader. Always kept in a barn and was only used two times a year.

The owner lived a long ways from the ranch and just didn't have time to do minor repairs. Just needed some new seals put in. It hurt that he ended up trading it in on a much smaller NH tractor. The dealer gave him trade-in value for only about half what it was worth.

Well, at least I got the original CAT III top link.

He probably has kicked his own butt many times and lost sleep over that deal.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The Deere dealer near me had a 560 gas with a New Idea loader for $7,900 and I thought that was high. The tractor/loader was in decent shape, but not fabulous.

As far as the 966, I suppose if you'd buy a used 966, overhaul engine and/or rebuild rear diff if needed, then paint, you'd probably have 20k invested when all was said and done. Pretty cheap horsepower compared to new. I'd be curious to see what sort of repair records come with this tractor to justify the asking price.

My father has a 1066 he bought brand new and that thing is a pretty sweet tractor. It still has the original paint and is in good shape.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Deere dealer near me had a 560 gas with a New Idea loader for $7,900 and I thought that was high. The tractor/loader was in decent shape, but not fabulous.

As far as the 966, I suppose if you'd buy a used 966, overhaul engine and/or rebuild rear diff if needed, then paint, you'd probably have 20k invested when all was said and done. Pretty cheap horsepower compared to new. I'd be curious to see what sort of repair records come with this tractor to justify the asking price.

My father has a 1066 he bought brand new and that thing is a pretty sweet tractor. It still has the original paint and is in good shape.
Oh man, those 560's are neat machines. I too am curious about the history of this 966. Might be way off, but I was gonna guess they were trying to make $5,000-$8,000 profit.

Been looking at a decent 1066. Those and 1466's are pretty cool machines. I came close to buying a friend's 1466, but it wasn't a fixer-upper. Lots of new parts from front to back. He ended up converting it into a MFWD since nobody was interested in the price.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Oh man, those 560's are neat machines. I too am curious about the history of this 966. Might be way off, but I was gonna guess they were trying to make $5,000-$8,000 profit.

Been looking at a decent 1066. Those and 1466's are pretty cool machines. I came close to buying a friend's 1466, but it wasn't a fixer-upper. Lots of new parts from front to back. He ended up converting it into a MFWD since nobody was interested in the price.
Yeah, I have a soft spot in my heart for the IH 66 series tractors. (Uh oh, I probably shouldn't say that on a JD forum. :hide: ) They're pretty awesome machines. I've spent lots of time behind the wheel of my father's 1066.

Before I bought my 1026r, I actually considered buying a Farmall 460 or 560 and putting a loader on that. Those tractors have the hydraulic controls to the right of the dash which is awesome for loader work (similar to forklift controls). It's not as cool as a joystick, but still a good setup. There are other Farmalls that have this hydraulic lever setup as well (Farmall 450 for example), but was primarily searching for 460/560.

I actually ended up with the 1026r because it was more the size I actually needed. I also figured by the time I found a vintage tractor, fixed what was wrong, added a loader, I'd have as much money in that thing as I would with the new Deere.

As far as new stuff, I bleed green through and through, but I am also a vintage IH fan as well.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
At one time I too was looking for a older IH tractor for snow plowing, and ended up with a 1026R.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts