Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing 2 garage door openers at our house. I got new Chamberlain 1/2 hp belt drive openers.
The new openers come with internet gateways to allow using a smartphone to operate the openers remotely.
Anyone have their door openers connected to the internet?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Yep house garage is, love it. Chamberlain also.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Yes.

I have the WD1000WF Chamberlain. Has the MyQ and the gateway built right into (no additional pieces needed as the WiFi radio is directly in the unit). I have a Vera home automation controller that it's connected to and I can control a variety of lights, a door lock, and the garage door from my phone or a web browser. Plus, I have a tilt sensor installed on the door so that I know when it goes up or down and I use that to alert me if I'm not home for when the kids get home from school.

I find the inter-connectivity of everything extremely convenient and do simple things like have the opening of the garage door trigger a z-wave control to turn on the hanging shop lights in the garage if it's past sunset and to automatically close the garage door at 10:00PM if someone inadvertently left it open when they came home.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
No thanks

I can see the conveinance but its just not for me.

Not flaming at all...just answering your ? Sir.

Dan in Oregon

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've been converting parts of my house to Z-Wave control. I did add a Z-Wave device to my existing garage door opener. Works through my Z-Wave gateway. I can control it from my phone or any internet connected device.

What's nice with this approach is the opener can now also be controlled by the gateway routines. For example, I have a routine set up to lock all my doors at 10 PM and every half hour after that until 5 am. ( Just in case one of my son's friends leaves without locking the door.) I can add the garage opener to this to make sure I didn't forget and leave it open.

I can also have a routine that says "If the garage door is opening and it's near sunset, then turn on the driveway and garage lights."

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I've been converting parts of my house to Z-Wave control. I did add a Z-Wave device to my existing garage door opener. Works through my Z-Wave gateway. I can control it from my phone or any internet connected device.

What's nice with this approach is the opener can now also be controlled by the gateway routines. For example, I have a routine set up to lock all my doors at 10 PM and every half hour after that until 5 am. ( Just in case one of my son's friends leaves without locking the door.) I can add the garage opener to this to make sure I didn't forget and leave it open.

I can also have a routine that says "If the garage door is opening and it's near sunset, then turn on the driveway and garage lights."
Some of the systems support GeoFencing, too. You can write rules that do things like automatically open the garage door if you enter your home area (it detects your position with your phone) or automatically close the door if you leave the home area.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I've got this one.

Chamberlain 1-1/4 HPS Smartphone-Controlled Wi-Fi Belt Drive Garage Door Opener with Battery Backup and Ultra-Quiet Operation-HD950WF - The Home Depot

I like it a lot. I like getting notifications when the door opens, or closes.

When it comes to IoT devices, I really wish wireless router manufacturers created at least 2 wireless networks by default. One for all of the doodads and one for your computers and trusted devices. Something easy, or out of the box that the average Joe could use. My network is fairly complicated for a home network, but I separate things out for safety's sake.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all of the replies. I may try it out.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I've got this one.

Chamberlain 1-1/4 HPS Smartphone-Controlled Wi-Fi Belt Drive Garage Door Opener with Battery Backup and Ultra-Quiet Operation-HD950WF - The Home Depot

I like it a lot. I like getting notifications when the door opens, or closes.

When it comes to IoT devices, I really wish wireless router manufacturers created at least 2 wireless networks by default. One for all of the doodads and one for your computers and trusted devices. Something easy, or out of the box that the average Joe could use. My network is fairly complicated for a home network, but I separate things out for safety's sake.
Many routers offer a "guest" network which allows access to the Internet but doesn't allow those devices to make requests of devices on your regular network. Not terribly helpful in most situations.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I am replacing 2 garage door openers at our house. I got new Chamberlain 1/2 hp belt drive openers.
The new openers come with internet gateways to allow using a smartphone to operate the openers remotely.
Anyone have their door openers connected to the internet?
Do you know of any devices that will open my driveway metal gate over the internet. It is pretty old but it is just a relay that needs to be triggered.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Do you know of any devices that will open my driveway metal gate over the internet. It is pretty old but it is just a relay that needs to be triggered.
WeMo! You can trigger a relay with it and it operates at 120v. Or trigger a small 120v coil stepped down to operate a 12v relay with a dry set of contacts.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I started into Home Automation with three WeMo light switches - worst experience of my life.

If you want to do it right, get a full HA controller that handles Z-Wave, and pair a Z-Wave relay control to it. There are plenty for high and low load levels. Yes, it will cost more to "buy in" this way, but you'll have a full platform to leverage for whatever else you might think of down the road.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I started into Home Automation with three WeMo light switches - worst experience of my life.

If you want to do it right, get a full HA controller that handles Z-Wave, and pair a Z-Wave relay control to it. There are plenty for high and low load levels. Yes, it will cost more to "buy in" this way, but you'll have a full platform to leverage for whatever else you might think of down the road.
Thanks. I will look into the WEMO and the ZWave options.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I love WeMo. What was so bad for you, genuinely curious.
I had them installed for about three weeks. During that time, I got 6-8 notifications that there were firmware updates for the switches. Downloading and applying the updates ALWAYS resulted in a complete loss of configuration and I was forced to set them back up from scratch each time.

Got sick of it, pulled them, returned them, went to a Z-Wave based system and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Internet of Things "IoT" era.... Ick. Just not worth it, IMO.
Yeah, I've been fiddling with home automation from the early days of X10, then ZWave. Over the last month we've had chunks of the Internet taken out by botnets running on poorly designed wireless cameras and other IoT knick-knacks. I'm not buying any more of these devices until they revamp their software security. I don't want my coffee pot joining in the fun.

OTOH a garage door failing is less of a problem than your pets not being fed because the automated feed dish couldn't contact the manufacturer's remote servers for several days. (Yes, this happened last September.)

We need a :GrumpyOldManYellsAtTheCloud: emoticon.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am reading the door opener manual before installing the door openers & came across this.

A warning that the door should not be operated unless it can be clearly seen at all time while it is operating.

The section following the warning explains how to setup & use the internet connection with the door openers so the door opener can be operated remotely from a smart phone, from anywhere in the world.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts