Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to check my Internet connection speed about once a month, just because.

Spectrum residential cable - (Charter Communications) - Wired desktop connection.

Spectrum.jpg

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pay for 20 mbs down for $20 per month. This is in my iPad over WiFi. Never saw the need for anything more than that. Watch Netflix/Hulu/CBS streaming daily at 1080p and it’s perfect.
That's a great deal! The speed I get is way more than we need, but it's the cheapest service available at my residence at about $65.00 a month. :banghead:

·
Registered
22,699 Posts
That's a great deal! The speed I get is way more than we need, but it's the cheapest service available at my residence at about $65.00 a month. :banghead:
I was paying around $50 for 50 mbs for a long time which I thought was kind of high. Then one day I read the little notation on my bill - like a “what’s new” section in small print - it said if you want 20mbs for $20 to call. And call I did!

Don’t know if it was a one time deal or what but am very happy. They offer 50, 100, and 200 Mbs down but don’t know what the price is.

With my 20 mbs service my cap is 440 gb per month which works for me. My typical month is 300-350 and the only TV I watch is streaming.

I am lucky to have cable service at all where I live. I am literally at the end of the line in a very rural area. And very very little down time except for when the power goes out so does my cable service because of line amps.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have Cox Communications. With their strange accounting system and bundle pricing math, it's impossible to tell what I'm actually paying, but I think the Internet-only option for my 150 Mbps plan would be about $95. At least they actually deliver the promised bandwidth...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I don't want to discuss what I pay a month.... :banghead:

·
Registered
2,587 Posts

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
As you could see in the screen shot I am on Xfinity (Comcast). I do pay more for faster speed internet than most plans and even more for unlimited data. I have to pay that because I blow past the limits that they put on data usage. Most months I am at around 1-1.5TB of data.

I really don't know what we pay a month for internet. They bundle it in with TV and Phone. Heh Phone, there isn't even a phone plugged into it and I couldn't tell you the phone number but it saves $10 or $15/mo to have it bundled in. Never said I had to use it. I want to say the bill is around $260/mo for everything. I think it is something like 240 channels, internet with unlimited data, the phone and other fees for DVR, HD, Boxes and such. I do own my own cable modem with phone modem so that saves rental on that.

We are also in a somewhat rural area. We have two options really, Cable (Xfinity) or DSL / Sat TV. One of my neighbors has DSL and it is a lot slower. No fiber options where I live but I am pretty happy with the speed of the service.

EDIT:

I should add that the machine is a wired connection to a gigabit switch. Well a couple of them and the router is a Edge Router X. All Ubiquiti network gear. The machine is a on a trunk connection sharing a bunch of VLANs but there shouldn't be a ton of traffic on it this time of day.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I could pretty much quote your first 2 post Ox. Only thing is I’m done my speed test on my iPad Pro 11” WiFi
Same company and same price.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,699 Posts
It seems the marketing by these cable companies is quite effective being a few folks don’t even know what they are paying....

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
It seems the marketing by these cable companies is quite effective being a few folks don’t even know what they are paying....
I know what the bill is as I see it every month. I just don't know what it is because it is bundled all together. Of the $260, $50 of it is because I have unlimited data. So that means my bill (if I didn't need unlimited) would be $210. Of that $210 I don't know how it is broken up between Phone, Internet and TV. It is kind of like my utilities. I see what my bill is each month, I don't know how much of that is gas vs electric. We have a combined bill from the same company. Part of it might be marketing, part bundling but also a big part of it is electronic billing. I see the bill and it gets paid. :dunno: I might question a big change in a bill but other than that, transfer the money.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
we are very rural ....and our only internet connection choice has been either satellite or cellular we have used cellular for the last 10 years and averaged about 4mbs down and 1mbs up per speed tests 15gb cap and sparotic service.............last week wired DSL became available to us with a advertized speed rating of 20mbs for 45$ a month so we hooked up actual speeds so far per speed tests have been around 17mbs down and 1.5mbs up and stable so far..........this is a huge improvement for us

we still have the cellular service on our smart phones but its nice to have the truely unlimited home service and wifi

·
Administrator
17,970 Posts
$74.95 a month gets us this (two different test service results):

Attachments

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't want to discuss what I pay a month.... :banghead:

Wow! I've never seen residential speeds that fast. That's big time.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Here is mine. I'm out of the city limits but do have cable internet (thank the lucky stars). There is no other option, we were on dial-up before they ran the cable out to us several years ago.

ist.jpg

Don't know why we have such a low upload speed but it's never been a problem so I haven't questioned it. Also have a data cap of 300 Gb but so far that has been plenty for us. Most of our TV watching is still thru Directv be we are streaming more all the time.

This is our usage so far this month:

h1.jpg

I own my own modem so we pay $55 per month for internet service, I think they charge another $10 a month to use their modem.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Seems like some of these providers look good on paper and with speed tests, but when you start actually downloading a large file they will throttle your speed back. :nunu:

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Wow! I've never seen residential speeds that fast. That's big time.
It isn't bad for cable modem but I am not on their basic internet plan. I pay for 600Mbps and that is what I get pretty much all the time. Fiber would be faster but we are too far out in the sticks for that. We live in an area that is somewhat of a unicorn. Technically Suburbs of St. Paul but we also live in a rural area. It is now 10 acre minimum for lot size but we are grandfathered in with an older house (1963) on 2.5 acres. There are a few lots smaller than ours (neighbor has 1.25) but by far most are in the 10-20 acre lot sizes. There is farm land around us in the form of corn fields mostly. Lots of horses. Neighbor we share back yards with has Llamas in his pasture. This area is popular with the DRs and Lawyers who like to have hobby farms so they can play farmer on the evenings and weekends but yet have their practice in the big city. It is maybe about 15-30 min drive to downtown St Paul. Depending on traffic 30-60 to Minneapolis. Because we are close to the city we have all the city/suburbia conveniences of cable TV/Internet, natural gas and such but are sparse enough to have private well and septic systems.

Being I work in IT, telecommute from time to time and am always on call, I have to have fast internet.

It isn't bad but I am sure there are some that will post that blow my numbers out of the water.

That said they sure don't give away speeds and capacity like this.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Seems like some of these providers look good on paper and with speed tests, but when you start actually downloading a large file they will throttle your speed back. :nunu:
Some of it depends. As I mentioned I pay another $50/mo for unlimited data. My speeds are pretty much the same all the time. With Cable Modem technologies you have to keep in mind that your neighbors can impact your speed more so than on other systems like DSL. DSL is a direct link so network congestion is more of an issue. With Cable Modem, since your neighbors are all sharing the pipe, the more neighbors you have and how much they use it will greatly impact this. For instance if you live in a huge dorm with younger college age students it is going to impact it more where everyone is streaming than when you are out in more of a rural area where fewer people use the internet real heavy. It also helps that we have two options. DSL and Cable with a mix from talking to neighbors. Think of these areas like zones. A zone will cover a certain amount of space because there are distance limits that they can send the signal. If you live in a dense area with apartments and townhouses that means that many more users sharing the connection when compared to more of a rural area.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts