Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone
This is my first post. Looks like a great forum! John Deere was what we had on the farm where I grew up so I'm a bit partial to green and yellow! I recently picked up a' 91 420 with about 600 hours on it. It has the cat 0 3ph and rear pto. I'm looking at a tiller and have some questions that I'm hoping someone here can help me with. The one found has a serial number that starts with F0350... So here are my questions about it. Is this a model 35? Will this tiller only work on a 400 tractor with the 840 rpm pto or will it also be OK on my 420? I'm really hoping it will work on my 420 as I've found that these tillers are really scarce. Thank you in advance for any help with my questions. John

·
Registered
12 Posts
You are correct, It is a 840 RPM tiller for the 400. It will not work properly on your 420. You need the model #48 2000 RPM tiller.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the note. I don'thow much I'll use a tiller, but I find it easy to justify green and yellow paint! Seriously, I'm planning to use the 420 and attachments on a property in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The short list includes a snowthrower, rear blade, loader and a tiller that turns out to be for a different tractor. They're so hard to find that I may just run it at half or less throttle and see what happens. BTW, that 3033R is a great looking tractor.

·
Premium Member
7,947 Posts
That 35 tiller is very heavy duty. It has a rotor speed of 185rpm. I have a 665 tiller as well and it has a rotor speed of 264rpm and to me it seems like it is buzzing. While I think there is no reason the 35 couldn’t spin just as fast as the 665 I don’t think you will have the hp to spin it going that speed. Wide open it would obviously be way to fast but if you pulled off the side cover you could more than likely change the sprockets to slow it down. Another more expensive option would be that I think the 90 degree gearbox on it is 1-1. The gear box on my 400’s snowblower looks the same but is 1-1.5 or maybe 1.5-1 but if you could find one you could slow it down some there as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the direction with how to slow the tiller speed. Kind of like changing the gear ratio of a car. I hadn't thought of that one so I appreciate the idea.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Welcome from NW SD.

rob

·
Registered
12,422 Posts
I though model 35 and 35a tillers were type code 35 and 35a

The model 48 has a letter plus 4 digits.

The driveshaft for the 400 and 420 are different, one is male, the other is female. They could be swapped, but I would check the working rpm of the tiller before deciding it doesn’t work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good point. The 35 tiller I have has a male 15-spline shaft on the end of the pto that fits the 420 female. I'm going to be very careful in checking the rpm as it would be easy to over rev it. If I can get it to idle down and do the job at half throttle or less without over working the tiller, I'm going to call it good! Next step would be to gear it down with a different drive sprocket if needed. Either way, I appreciate your reply. They all help me figure this thing out!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So after checking further, the shaft for the 35 tiller I have is a 12-spline version. After some more reading, that seems unique to the 400 tractor only while the 300-400 series use a 15-spline. I'm now looking to see if I can locate a 15-spline shaft to mate up with the 35 tiller's u-joint on the driveshaft. If there are any ideas on where to find this part or any other options I should think about, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

·
Registered
12,422 Posts
So after checking further, the shaft for the 35 tiller I have is a 12-spline version. After some more reading, that seems unique to the 400 tractor only while the 300-400 series use a 15-spline. I'm now looking to see if I can locate a 15-spline shaft to mate up with the 35 tiller's u-joint on the driveshaft. If there are any ideas on where to find this part or any other options I should think about, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
I would abort mission if it was me. If you’re in the Midwest you can sell it and find a 2000 rpm cat 0 tiller for similar money.

For more money there is one company that still makes them new. Around 1990 there were 3-4 brands using that combo.

Another option is finding a 30 hydraulic tiller and you can sell the rear pto to be $$ ahead. Their mounts can be stacked with the 3-point mounts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I'm quickly getting to the same conclusion about aborting the mission. The tiller is in central MN so I want to think there's a market for it. I'll find out! Thanks again for your comments. Very helpful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts