Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I've been lurking here a while and am finally getting around to the mandatory intro post. I live in the Sierra foothills between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe, also known as the Gold Country.

A few months ago my driveway had washed out rather badly in one of the few storms of consequence we've had for a while. I had bought a Craftsman grader blade off Craig's List and was fussing about figuring out how to connect it to my Craftsman lawn tractor, and whether I really wanted to. (It's not rated for ground engagement.) About that time a neighbor was over and said he was hard up for some cash, and would I like to buy his JD 240 garden tractor cheap. I asked "What's cheap?" When he said $100 I didn't hesitate before I said yes! It had been sitting for a couple of years, looked pretty rough, but it ran pretty good, at least at full throttle, which is where it counts. (I think I just need to clean the carb, since it sat so long.) I started building a sleeve hitch for it from metal in the scrap pile, but couldn't figure out how to use the spring assisted lift mechanism, so I welded up a bracket for a little winch that was laying around, scrounged up a heavy-duty DPDT switch and designed the hitch around that. It worked satisfactorily, and smoothed the driveway out. The blade could be a little heavier, so a weight bracket may be in the future.

I've figured out that the reason the spring assisted lift doesn't work is because numerous parts are rusted solid, so I need to take some things apart and get that freed up. Then I can hang the 38" mower deck and find out why (per the seller) it quit mowing. (That's why it got parked.) I think it probably needs a new electric clutch, but I haven't gotten into that yet, because the grass grows like crazy in the spring here and on my wife's property, and I've been busy trying to keep up with that! (Among other things!) Perhaps it just needs some wiring re-done. (Fat chance! That would be cheap!) There's definitely wiring work to do, the PO loved extra lights and gadgets, and must have had at least a 1/2 dozen or so sets of lights pointing every which way, and each set had it's own switch. he had taken almost all of them of by the time I got it, but left the wires and switches in place, and I get to figure out which wires are stock and which he added. and remove the non-stock ones. It needs a little body work and paint, and then there's the front tire with the *huge* bulge in the sidewall. I see an order for V61's in my future. (It's got ags in the back, which I need.) I loaded the rears for the PO a couple of years ago, just before he parked it, so that's done already. I have a Craftsman 48" snow blade I want to adapt for the 240, once I get the mower lift working. I'm low enough in elevation that we don't get a *lot* of snow, but when it happens, the blade would be a lot better than the shovel I use now. :)

Eventually, I need to buy the service manual for it, especially the page with the spring assisted lift pictured, but it seems JD charges a bundle for them, even for these "obsolete" tractors, and watches close to make sure no one scans them and puts them online. If anyone knows where I could get the proper one used (That translates to "cheap"!), it would be much appreciated. I don't mind paying for it, but there's not a whole lot of available cash here (I had to go back to a dial-up Internet connection, just couldn't afford even the cheapest high speed plan, not there's a whole lot of choice way out here), but I guess even what JD charges is cheaper than taking it to a shop. Maybe the lift will become clearer when I take the fender pan off and can see it?

From perusing this and other forums, and searching the Web at large, there's not a whole lot out there about this model. Was the 240 rather rare? I really like it, about the only thing I would have had them change is that there's only one reverse gear, and it's *way* too high for any kind of work, even mowing. Should have put an "R-low" in it. :) Even the headlights are usable, unlike any lawn tractor I've ever used. :)

Well, this got pretty long for an intro post; now you know about all of my JD experience! I don't post often; I do have plenty of questions, but I don't often know anything to help answer anyone else's. But on the few occasions I do, I'll try not to be shy. Thanks for being here and being so willing to educate me, it is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
16,924 Posts
Welcome from West Virginia

:wgtt:

·
Registered
4,767 Posts

Welcome from New York.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Welcome and enjoy!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Welcome from Ohio. :greentractorride:

·
Super Moderator
8,594 Posts
Welcome aboard from Massachusetts!

:gtfam:

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
40,378 Posts
Welcome to GTT sleepybozo. Vast number of smart people here.

·
Administrator
21,478 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

Glad to have you here! :good2:

·
Registered
967 Posts
Welcome from.... "the Program".

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Welcome from Alabama

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,694 Posts
Welcome from CO and an escapee from KA...

·
Registered
1,072 Posts

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,851 Posts

1 - 17 of 17 Posts