Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved to a different house with a problem. I have a lot of two invasive plant species on my lot, English Ivy and Amur Honeysuckle. I've been doing some reading about them both. It seems that a Glyphosate herbicide coupled with manual removal is called for. I have a lot of trees on the lot which makes the problem more complicated. What backyard I have is on a hill side and completely covered in Ivy/honeysuckle. Most of the trees have ivy on them. I have my work cut out for me. My first question is has anyone else fought this fight? What worked and what didn't? And secondly what implements can be used to advantage? Plow, Disc, drag harrow, flame thrower? One of the most helpful sites I've found so far is; http://www.invasive.org/gist/moredocs/hedhel02.pdf

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
You did not state how big the area is,,, :dunno:

A "yard",,, I would use 2-4-D,,, to promote grass growth,,, if that is what you prefer.

IMHO,,, this problem comes from years of neglect,,,
(OR possibly,, years of encouragement, so as NOT to have to mow the "hilly" area)

The article you had a link to shows a "forest" type area,,, not a yard where people live and mow.

Be careful what you ask for,,, sometimes a hilly area is a mowing nightmare,,,, :gizmo:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Getting ground cover to grow on a steep hill side can be a challenge. No ground cover means erosion.

The crud might be invasive, but it's protecting the hill side.
2-4,D/crossbow will nuke it, and not hurt the tree, and wont affect grasses if you decide to knock it back.

If you can safely mow the area, wait until after the spring rains to kill off everything, and establish grass.
Ya gotta have top soil to plant in.

The crud grows from Rhizomes, so mechanical control alone will just spread the crap.
Spritz it, wait for the recovery, and spritz again. You're going to get crabgrass and clover and other stuff coming in as the crud dies off, so encourage it.
Get ready for a fight. The birds spread the seeds like crazy, and as soon as you think you're winning, the weed will try to out flank you.

We get it here. It gets murdered as fast as I find it, but the birds keep bringing in more.

Good luck!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CADplans the whole lot is 1 acre +- according to the listing when I bought it. The previous owners were elderly and it got away from them. Mostly wooded in the rear and one side and I plan to keep it that way. The ivy has already killed a few of the trees. Some of the rear is not worth trying to mow, the hill side is too steep but there is a space about 50 yards by 25 that is only roughly a 30-40 degree pitch that gets sun for 5-6 hours where I can try to grow some grass and maybe a few tomatoes. It is currently all ivy. The front is grass hillside with ivy around the house. Oh, and did I mention the poison ivy? it has already got me three times.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
My daughter and SIL just purchased such a property,,,
the last ten years the PO only maintained the open areas,,, neglecting the edges,,

Ivy and vines grew up the trees,,,

My SIL had "too much fun" pulling 60-80 foot vines out of the trees with the JD 855
(he had never used a tractor before)

A couple 4-6" dead trees came along,,, a brush pile/fire followed,,, also a first for him.

The entire area was then mowed with this,,,

If you can walk on it, this machine can mow it,,, under 1.50", the Gravely just grinds it up.

Sounds like you can get it under control,,, with a little effort!! :thumbup1gif:

Oh, yea,,, we want pictures,,, before and after,,,,

·
Registered
740 Posts
Plow, Disc, drag harrow, flame thrower?
NO! Anything that stirs up the soil on a hill will result in erosion. As fun as flamethrowers are, burning oils in the plants can be extremely dangerous. I once spent three weeks in the hospital because the guy next door threw a bunch of poison ivy on his bonfire and it got into my lungs. I know you aren't going to be specifically targeting poison ivy, but flamethrowers are not known for their ability to target specific plants. Besides, unless you go full blown napalm, you aren't going to get the roots.

Once you have chemically treated the area thoroughly, brush hogging when they aren't throwing their seeds is really one of the best ways to control an invasive plant. I fought burdock this way for many years at my last farm with great success.

Your local USDA branch office, state dept of natural resources, federal conservation district, or whatever university ag extension operates in your area will have information specific to your invasive species problem. In some cases, there is grant money available to help cover the cost of fighting these plants. Some programs will help connect you to college students who are studying invasive plants and will also assist you in removing and destroying them properly. You already paid for these services through your taxes... use them!

Good luck.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Since poison ivy and burning have both been mentioned in this thread, I am going to throw this out there for anyone reading now or in the future.....

DO NOT BURN POISON IVY!!!

It can then get the particles deep into your lungs, and send you to the emergency room and ICU VERY QUICKLY!

·
Premium Member
7,720 Posts
Since poison ivy and burning have both been mentioned in this thread, I am going to throw this out there for anyone reading now or in the future.....

DO NOT BURN POISON IVY!!!

It can then get the particles deep into your lungs, and send you to the emergency room and ICU VERY QUICKLY!
I seem to get poison ivy very easily. I have to where log sleeves when I brush hog, or I end up with the rash on my forearms, usually the parts of them that faces down.

I hate poison ivy.

But learned long ago not to wage war on it.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
Poison ivy?? As a kid I walked through a patch not knowing what it was. I got hit big time, all over my body. Ever since then it doesn't bother me. I've TRIED my best to get it and...nothing. Don't break out, no rash...nothing. I've even broken the leaf and rubbed the liquid on my arm...nothing. So I'm good there.
All that ivy growing all over is another story. The only way I can get rid of it is cut it at the base of it. I've been pulling it out of my trees on my fence row. Cut it at the base, pile it in a pile, when I'm done, chip it into little bitty pieces, put it on the mulch pile. No it doesn't grow after I cut it up. I don't know what kind of ivy it is but it will kill the trees and cover everything. Since retirement, I waged war on them. Saved a few trees in the process. After I get the area cleaned up it becomes a place I mow. If it tries to grow, I mow it. It will either find a different place to grow or give up until or if we sell this place. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
for ivy, goats love it.
for honeysuckle, some piggies will do the trick for smaller plants. just get some 1" electric tape, some rope and make a few small pens. once the soil is well churned, move them to the next spot. then just go thru and pull them out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
exterior rear.jpg backyard3.JPG There is a retaining wall under that ivy in both pictures. The second picture was taken in March before the honeysuckle leafed out. I'm in city limits so goats and pigs aren't an option. It isn't as flat as it looks. I've been chopping and sawing, and mowing but still have a lot more to do. rear east.jpg rear west.jpg

·
Registered
702 Posts
for ivy, goats love it.
for honeysuckle, some piggies will do the trick for smaller plants. just get some 1" electric tape, some rope and make a few small pens. once the soil is well churned, move them to the next spot. then just go thru and pull them out.
I'd like to request more info on these "small pens" made with electrical tape and rope that will keep hogs contained. Not doubting you, just can't quite grasp that concept. Any pics?:)

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
View attachment 95449 View attachment 95457 There is a retaining wall under that ivy in both pictures. The second picture was taken in March before the honeysuckle leafed out. I'm in city limits so goats and pigs aren't an option. It isn't as flat as it looks. I've been chopping and sawing, and mowing but still have a lot more to do. View attachment 95465 View attachment 95473
I've learned one thing today. You should pull them out of the trees not long after you cut them. I was out today and went to pull some out of some trees where I had cut the vines last winter, all I got was some of the thicker stuff as they are now brittle and break very easy. So I didn't get them out of the trees but at least they are dead and won't grow anymore. I didn't realizes they would get that brittle so fast, just over this past summer till now. I still have a ways to go. I may loose a battle now and then but I'll win the war. I learn as I go.

·
Premium Member
7,720 Posts
Poison ivy?? As a kid I walked through a patch not knowing what it was. I got hit big time, all over my body. Ever since then it doesn't bother me. I've TRIED my best to get it and...nothing. Don't break out, no rash...nothing. I've even broken the leaf and rubbed the liquid on my arm...nothing. So I'm good there.
All that ivy growing all over is another story. The only way I can get rid of it is cut it at the base of it. I've been pulling it out of my trees on my fence row. Cut it at the base, pile it in a pile, when I'm done, chip it into little bitty pieces, put it on the mulch pile. No it doesn't grow after I cut it up. I don't know what kind of ivy it is but it will kill the trees and cover everything. Since retirement, I waged war on them. Saved a few trees in the process. After I get the area cleaned up it becomes a place I mow. If it tries to grow, I mow it. It will either find a different place to grow or give up until or if we sell this place. Good luck.
I've heard 10% of the population is immune to poison ivy. You must be one of the lucky ones.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
I've heard 10% of the population is immune to poison ivy. You must be one of the lucky ones.
I may be now but I wasn't at one time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My mom is one such lucky person, as are a few members of her family. One of those old hunter, gatherer type families. Sadly, I have my dads sensitivity and not my moms immunity.

Keep up the good work! Nice progress!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I've learned one thing today. You should pull them out of the trees not long after you cut them. I was out today and went to pull some out of some trees where I had cut the vines last winter, all I got was some of the thicker stuff as they are now brittle and break very easy. So I didn't get them out of the trees but at least they are dead and won't grow anymore. I didn't realizes they would get that brittle so fast, just over this past summer till now. I still have a ways to go. I may loose a battle now and then but I'll win the war. I learn as I go.
You made a good point Levi, they do get brittle and then you really have to work to get the stuff out of the trees.. This stuff will kill a tree. We have honeysuckle everywhere here and it spreads like crazy, I always thought it was Kudzu or something and we do have something like Kudzu with those giant leaves and that kills anything it grows on, hard as hell to pull it out of a tree.. even with a backhoe, it wants to pull the tree down with it.
I am the same way, I do not get Poison Ivy, and I will say one more thing. Peeing behind the tree as in the second picture will not kill the stuff either! I'd be real careful doing that if you are allergic if you get my drift!
All this talk about napalm and military talk makes me feel like a kid again.. Nothing like the smell of Napalm in the morning right!
Glyphosate will work on ivy, I have used it but it kills everything that is green so you have to be very careful.. With Most of the pictures I see here, this doesn't look that bad at all, and like stated, Never Burn Poison Ivy or any poisonous ivy's you will be totally sorry. MY wife is not immune to any ivy, it gets in her bloodstream and she gets the blisters all over her body including areas where she is not exposed like under her pants or shirt,, Ends up in the emergency room and they prescribe Prednisone and multiple scripts too.
Good luck with this project and stay safe, there is a lot of good info here especially with the pig thing, to bad you cannot do it on your property.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
implements

Jeff, I'll just let you guess what I'm doing. :) in Picture 3 you can see that one of my dogs thinks he can dig up moles. I'm thinking ahead about when I get the ivy out of the trees and cut down all of the honeysuckle and kill it all. I'm considering buying an implement or two to get the grass growing. The possibilities are a moldboard plow and disc and/or drag harrow. Since I haven't used these I'm not sure what I need if any. I do know it is more than I want to do with my Troy-bilt tiller.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts