Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was on diy Network's "Cool Tools". This seems irresponsible to me for them to portray and show chainsaw use like this.

Did this guy just use this chain saw with the blade like that?

I didn't get a video of this one, but this guy didn't actually do the cut, but they made it look like he did and they made it look like he did it with the blade like that.

I'm not sure this is an appropriate way to straighten your saw bar.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Very dangerous way to cut down a tree... you have no control of where it will go. Lucky it didn't come back on him.

·
Corndog Hater
11,271 Posts
Wow scary! I know that none of us are perfect, but it seems if you were making something to televise or to be used to instruct, it would be checked over and over again to make it as close to perfect as possible. Those are way off. Sad.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
That is Chris Grundy and he is a nut sometimes when doing the demo on those "cool tools"

·
Premium Member
14,133 Posts
Seems some producer, director, production crew and the user has NO clue how to use , setup the chain saw or how to fell a tree the correct way. Now some rural homeowner is going to get injured or killed. Just because of watching this miss information.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Bubber took a "selfie".

Dave

·
Registered
770 Posts
The Dork cut a conventional notch, made a back cut, and THEN cut through the hinge from the face, with about a 45 degree lean to the hinge...

:creep:

Either he's a completely clueless Noob and is going to die/ get maimed next week, or he's a Moron...possibly both.

Irresponsible is the only word that comes to mind. People watch stuff like that, and take it as gospel.

I hate TV..:crazy:

·
Super Moderator
7,916 Posts
No Gloves? No Chaps? No Hardhat? No Thanks!!

I had the horror of picking a friend up off the ground and getting him to a hospital before he bled-out. A tree he was cutting twisted and took him down. While going down he pulled the throttle trigger and the saw cut half-way through his thigh. It's been about 25 years and I still see that scene whenever I pick up my chainsaw.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
my father worked in the woods all his life without all the above safety equipment, I guess he was very lucky according to todays standerds. one time he did touch his work boot with the tip of the saw blade, cut the outer layer till it got to the steel toe part. he was very fussy about how he worked and his surrondings while cutting, we used steel wedges back than, he didn't like them because of little pieces of steel flying off. my uncle's now that was a different story they could cut circles around my dad, but they had scars all over them. at holidays they show off their scars and bragged how they got them.

·
Corndog Hater
11,271 Posts
my father worked in the woods all his life without all the above safety equipment, I guess he was very lucky according to todays standerds. one time he did touch his work boot with the tip of the saw blade, cut the outer layer till it got to the steel toe part. he was very fussy about how he worked and his surrondings while cutting, we used steel wedges back than, he didn't like them because of little pieces of steel flying off. my uncle's now that was a different story they could cut circles around my dad, but they had scars all over them. at holidays they show off their scars and bragged how they got them.
Your dad sounds like a smart man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,133 Posts
I have a small scare on left leg, where chainsaw kicked back and got me right above my knee. I was tired, hadn't taken enough water for me to drink and just in to big of a hurray. When it happened , turned off the saw, seen the cut in my pants, and I felt something like blood. Put saw in the truck bed with the wood I had already thrown on, and drove home. Walked in the kitchen , wife asked why I was home early, showed her my pants, thankfully just barely made the blood flow. Real lucky.

Neighbor owns chaps , of course wasn't wearing them , Lost a lot of his lower thigh muscle and I forget how many stitches way over a 100.

Another friend didn't learn about wearing chaps after cutting his knee cap so bad had to have a total knee replacement.
Several years later he sawed into the knee replacement and had to have that one replaced. Pretty sure he had to replace the chain .

Be safe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts