Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's come down to trailer shopping time. Materials are around 2K to build one, or I can buy used for a little more than that and be done with it.

I rented a 20' snowmobile trailer last year to move some building supplies and it was nice not having fenders to deal with, but the added deck height was noticed getting on and off it (I have bad knees). Center of gravity is more of my concern than getting on-off it.

When I hauled the tractor home from SD, I rented a skidsteer trailer, and it had a lower deck height and towed really nice.

Being able to move a 20' container on the trailer would be nice - so another vote for deck-over there. But I'm not sure how many of those I'd be moving besides possibly the one I already have.

I understand a grand or two in the big picture isn't much and I should get a quality trailer before getting too worked up over price. I'm also broke, so getting any money is going to cost me some interest in the short term.

Used deck-over's are few and far in my area, so I'm road tripping if I go used. We have a selection of trailer dealers, so I can work them against themselves if I end up going the new route.

I'll be using this to haul my tractor, with stump grinder, for paying jobs. I'll also use it to move finished lumber, and whole logs, as well as building materials from time to time as I work on the shop/house/outbuildings.

Renting is an option, but it's expensive and I'd be better off with my own trailer.

What to do?

·
Premium Member
7,721 Posts
I surprised you can build one for $2K, I am thinking double that.
I would want low for easier towing/loading (unless side loading, or wider than the fenders)
I have heard deck overs pull harder do to more resistance, load will be higher too :dunno:
If a gooseneck I would probably go deck over, but for bumper pull low as possible, meaning it will have fenders.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Jim,

Take a look at these Johnson Trailer Co. not to far from you and reasonably priced. I bought a car hauler there last year. LOL now I need a deckover.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Axles are around 900, wheels/tires are another 400, springs 200, lighting is 50, a lunette ring is 40, and the rest is steel. There's just not that much steel in one of these.

·
Super Moderator
8,056 Posts
Axles are around 900, wheels/tires are another 400, springs 200, lighting is 50, a lunette ring is 40, and the rest is steel. There's just not that much steel in one of these.
I'm ready to follow along on another of your projects. I vote you build it! :good2:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, if you want to see it happen, I'm accepting donations. :laugh:

I'm gonna be strapped pretty tight if I end up with the truck I bid on last week. Auction ends Wed at noon. Crossing my fingers I get it - the Tahoe can't pull my tractor. Well, it can't stop it anyway. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Are you set on a bumper pull, or would you consider a gooseneck? Obviously the Tahoe is out for a gooseneck, but it sounds like it can't haul your tractor regardless. Used deckover goosenecks are fairly reasonably priced, and common.

I love deckovers. You can load material from the side with a forklift, load stuff that's wider than the deck, etc. The only advantage of a 'standard' style is for low clearance equipment. I had a 14K 'car hauler' to move my forklift on for some work I used to do, it was ideal for that because even with big tires an industrial forklift only has 6-8" of ground clearance. When I shut that business down I swapped the low trailer for a deckover, it's a much better multi use trailer. The forklift would still go on it, but it might drag the ground if things weren't perfectly level.

IMG_0414.jpg

I'd like to get rid of this trailer and move into something all around bigger. This one is ideal for the 5320 and an attachment, but I'd like to be able to move larger loads of hay and we're discussing a bigger tractor. I'd like to move into a 35-40', 22-24K rated one. :munch:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to stick with bumper pull because I don't want to need another bumper pull to go behind my C65 when the dump box gets added to it.

Goosneck would be nice for added hauling capacity and better turning.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I highly recommend the deckover. You can do so many more things with it. Yes, it is higher off the ground and theoretically it has a higher CG, but I do not notice any problem there, at least with my 31ft tandem axle dually gooseneck. If there is any way you can swing a gooseneck, you will never be sorry. I just drove mine 790 miles today to pick up a disk that was so much cheaper than one local, that I could drive that far to pick it up and still save considerable money. The gooseneck trailer is so much more stable, that it takes all the stress out of pulling it. I remember when I picked up the 6ft brush hog I bought, using my 20ft straight trailer. It was 81 inches between the wheel wells and it barely fit. No problem now.

Dave

·
Registered
937 Posts
I'd like to get rid of this trailer and move into something all around bigger. This one is ideal for the 5320 and an attachment, but I'd like to be able to move larger loads of hay and we're discussing a bigger tractor. I'd like to move into a 35-40', 22-24K rated one. :munch:
Yeah, imo a deck over has to have tandem duals or triples on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
747 Posts
If you can afford it I would say a deck over would cover all your needs. I wouldn't worry about COG or towing resistance, as long as you load it correctly it will be fine.

However....if funds are as tight as you say I'm sure a low deck trailer will fill 90% of your needs. Yes you may have a harder time loading a few things due to the fenders but realistically there isn't much that you can't haul on a trailer with fenders vs a high deck except maybe your Sea-Can. For those few times you could rent a trailer.

Watch the auctions, the last time oil prices took a dump I picked up a 30ft, 18K GN deckover trailer at the auction for $4500CDN. It was in good shape as it was an ex-hotshot trailer and had to pass yearly commercial inspections.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Keep in mind a deckover trailer is much heavier than a car/skid steer trailer of the same weight capacity. More weight equals less payload. This is especially important to consider if its a bumper pull and not a gooseneck.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dead weight is a concern of mine because my primary tow vehicle (if my luck holds Wed.) will be somewhat under powered with a measly 5.7L.

The area I'll be covering with the stump grinding business is about an hour drive one way, but I'd also use it for hauling machinery from other areas (like Georgia where tractors are cheap). A goose would be great, but I just don't want to limit the use to the little truck. I'll need the big chevy if I'm doing lawn sculpting after the stump is gone.

Right now I'm checking on some cheaper older stuff, and am leaning towards a PJ or Johnson 20-22' deckover for around 4500/5K. Buy once, cry once comes to mind. :) I only need a good summer to pay it off and it's money in the bank from then on out.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,682 Posts
Are you set on a bumper pull, or would you consider a gooseneck? Obviously the Tahoe is out for a gooseneck, but it sounds like it can't haul your tractor regardless. Used deckover goosenecks are fairly reasonably priced, and common.

I love deckovers. You can load material from the side with a forklift, load stuff that's wider than the deck, etc. The only advantage of a 'standard' style is for low clearance equipment. I had a 14K 'car hauler' to move my forklift on for some work I used to do, it was ideal for that because even with big tires an industrial forklift only has 6-8" of ground clearance. When I shut that business down I swapped the low trailer for a deckover, it's a much better multi use trailer. The forklift would still go on it, but it might drag the ground if things weren't perfectly level.

View attachment 137945

Did you ever get rid of that trailer and upgrade? I'm in the same boat as far as looking. I've seen some with low side rails, but didn't know how that would affect loading 3x4 or 4x4 bales or large round bales.

Not sure how something like this would do? New 2016 Texas Pride 7'x20' Gooseneck Tandem 8,000lb Axle Equipme

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
No, I still have it. I'm not actively trying to sell it, but if someone made the right offer...:gizmo:

I don't like the one you linked, the side rails would serve no purpose for me and definitely be in the way of hauling a 5' or larger bale. Even a lot of 4' bales aren't exactly 4'. I just don't see any benefit to having them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts