Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Read that Nissan will have a new V8 diesel available in their trucks.

Does this mean that since Fiat merged with Chrysler, the next Dodge trucks will have IVECO engines in them?

Maybe I'm reading too much into it?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Its hard to say. I am a Dodge guy. Dodge no longer makes trucks. The brand is now know as RAM. No where on the new Rams will you find the dodge name.:laugh: The 1500 is rumored to be getting a smaller diesel . Not using a Cummins may go bad for them. :nunu: A lot of people buy a dodge to get the Cummins. Last time I was thinking of buying a new Dodge 2500 4x4 I was told they weren't made in the U S , so I put off buying one. I will not buy a truck that isn't made here. Its looking like my next truck will be a Ford F250.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I edited the title. Substituted "Dodge" with "Chrysler".

I'm going back to Ford trucks as well. Might keep a low mileage Dodge with the 5.9 on the ranch.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably should've just asked about Fiat, since Chrysler is not in control. Those little Fiat cars are gonna take some time to get used to seeing them on the roads.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
I thought the Cummins V motors had major issues?

·
Administrator
20,880 Posts
Maybe back in the day, but they've been working on a V6 for half tons for Dodge for a long time. It was promised at various times in the past only to have Dodge drop the program every time. Cummins was supposedly ready to build them if they would buy X amount. At least that was the rumors I was reading on a Dodge/Cummins site for several years.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I saw the Wall Street Journal headline on Cummins supplying engines to Nissan; but since I don't subscribe to the WSJ, I couldn't read the article.

Whether Dodge will drop Cummins in favor of IVECO engines is probably up to the Fiat bosses; but M-B never forced them to put Benz diesels in Dodge pickups when Mercedes owned Chrysler.

As far as the brand name is concerned; Chrysler can call them Rams, Ewes, Llamas, Camels, Boogers, Dingle-berries, or whatever, and they'll still be Dodge's to me. As Shakespeare said, "A rose by any other name would still smell just as sweet."

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
. . . but M-B never forced them to put Benz diesels in Dodge pickups when Mercedes owned Chrysler."
Benz did not want to weaken their brand by sharing parts with Chrysler. They feared people would just buy Chrysler products to get Benz quality at deep discount. That was one of the main reasons the partnership failed.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
386 Posts
The way I understand it the diesel in the half ton so to speak class isn't going to be a cummins. I understand that some material earlier was out that a cummins engine would be used so in that sense you could say dropping cummins.

The Nissan didn't even offer an eight foot bed when I was looking, Or was it a regular cab or was it either or both.

Strange about Iveco. I had been studying the fuso cantor trucks perhaps a year ago which is what the mitsubishi fuso apparently has become. They are using a small diesel engine make in a partnership joint venture with fiat the way it appeared to me. Iveco is the truck they clearly contrast themselves with in the advertising material. I would expect what I found and read could be searched up. Fiat is essentially New holland and Case IH In USA tractor stuff. I get the impression they are investing quite a bit in engine development.

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Does this mean that since Fiat merged with Chrysler, the next Dodge trucks will have IVECO engines in them?
Unlikely. Ram and Cummins had just signed a new multi-year contract in 2010 or 2011. Plus Cummins is in 80% of all Ram heavy duty trucks sold, would you drop them?

I was told they weren't made in the U S.
Correct. The heavy duties are assembled in Saltillo, Mexico and have been for over a decade.

Nope. The V6 and V8 versions both found homes in Ram 1500's for a few years of testing. The only issues I ever read about were related to installation.

Cummins was supposedly ready to build them if they would buy X amount. At least that was the rumors I was reading on a Dodge/Cummins site for several years.
Chrysler bankruptcy did away with the contract. Fiat does not seem interested since they have VM Motori and Chrysler has used VM since the early 90's. If GM still owns their 50% share of VM they won't mind the sales or the R&D.

The way I understand it the diesel in the half ton so to speak class isn't going to be a cummins. Strange about Iveco.
More than likely it will be the VM Motori diesels that they use in the current Jeep. Not sure where Iveco comes into the picture.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Benz did not want to weaken their brand by sharing parts with Chrysler. They feared people would just buy Chrysler products to get Benz quality at deep discount. That was one of the main reasons the partnership failed.

Sent from my iPhone
I always heard that before the partnership failed that Chrysler 300's used previous generation Benz components.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts

Sent from my iPhone
The Dodge Sprinter got a Benz diesel as did the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I always heard that before the partnership failed that Chrysler 300's used previous generation Benz components.
I'm just going by what a good friend and Chrysler engineer who spent about 5 months in Germany fixing their assembly line issues told me.

I'm sure there were a few things like engines shared but you did not see for example a Benz/Chrysler pairing like that of the Chrysler/Mitsubishi when they released the Doge Stealth and the Mitsubishi 3000.

Benz did not even want to share RD info. There is no point on a partnership if the parties involved aren't going to work together.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I'm sure there were a few things like engines shared but you did not see for example a Benz/Chrysler pairing like that of the Chrysler/Mitsubishi when they released the Doge Stealth and the Mitsubishi 3000.
The Chrysler Crossfire sport coupe and the small M-B SLK roadster/coupe were one in the same if I'm not mistaken. They just made the sheet metal look different enough to hide the shared chassis. The Stealth and 3000 had minor cosmetic differences; but it was apparent they were the same car.

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Benz did not even want to share RD info. There is no point on a partnership if the parties involved aren't going to work together.
It took a long time but some things did get shared. For example the 2011 Grand Cherokee used the same unibody that the Mercedes M-class uses. I think the Durango uses it as well.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
New Generation Nissan Titan Getting a Cummins Diesel

Back to the original post in reference to the Nissan Titan getting a Cummins.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Back to the original post in reference to the Nissan Titan getting a Cummins.

If I were in the market for a new truck I would have to take a look at it.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I've been impressed with the Nissan vehicles I've looked at lately. My wife bought an Infiniti G37xS earlier this year and I would rate the build quality and performance very high. A friend just bought an all-whee-drive Rogue and he loves it. I think a diesel Titan would be a nice truck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts